Brilliant business idea

soc151

Open up a fleet repair shop next to a FedEx Ground terminal.

I swear the one I'm driving right now will put the mechanic's children through college.

HomeDelivery

already seen it at 2 hubs

one inside the facility lot near the diesel fueling station

another works in a mobile shop out at a section of the vast parking lot

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Open up a fleet repair shop next to a FedEx Ground terminal.

I swear the one I'm driving right now will put the mechanic's children through college.

Not repairing the trucks puts more money in the contractor's pocket. This is probably why they are almost always left running, because they might not re-start.

HomeDelivery

i've already shown how easy it is to do an oil change on those newer ford stepvans...

OP is right that it is a good idea to open a business near those terminals; win-win for all

---------------------------

get a huge box truck w/ tire mounting & balancing machines; stock the most used tire sizes for emergency replacements

another can be a mobile oil change service truck... with soo many service miles, some are changing oil every 4-6 months already

ImWaitingForTheDay

Annoy a conservative....Think for yourself
Not repairing the trucks puts more money in the contractor's pocket. This is probably why they are almost always left running, because they might not re-start.
It's a fact that fedex looks the other way when it comes to to condition of ground and home trucks..part of the business model,We don't care about the trucks,we don't care about the driver ..All fedex cares about is that stupid brown boxes get delivered..That's why when it comes to
the contractors,trucks I don't care..

GROUNDIsAHugeSCAM

It's a fact that fedex looks the other way when it comes to to condition of ground and home trucks.
True dat. I do quarterly vehicle inspections on all the Ground vehicles here. I announce to the driver the exact day I'm going to do it, but I do it very subtly as to not violate FedEx policy. As I'm eating a donut, I approach said driver and say "Hey (name), I'm going to inspect your vehicle on (date), so make sure it's ready". I don't actually check them. I just walk around for a few minutes and look like I'm thoroughly inspecting things like tire tread and the integrity of the adhesive green stickers. In actuality, I'm just having a monologue in my head about whether to have Church's chicken or a #8 (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong, it's the steak quesadilla, soda and taco) from Taco Bell for lunch. I've seen tires below a 2/32", but I always let them slide. Way too much paperwork. Plus I'm way too fat and not nearly bendy enough to examine for "visible leaks" underneath the vehicle

CJinx

True dat. I do quarterly vehicle inspections on all the Ground vehicles here. I announce to the driver the exact day I'm going to do it, but I do it very subtly as to not violate FedEx policy. As I'm eating a donut, I approach said driver and say "Hey (name), I'm going to inspect your vehicle on (date), so make sure it's ready". I don't actually check them. I just walk around for a few minutes and look like I'm thoroughly inspecting things like tire tread and the integrity of the adhesive green stickers. In actuality, I'm just having a monologue in my head about whether to have Church's chicken or a #8 (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong, it's the steak quesadilla, soda and taco) from Taco Bell for lunch. I've seen tires below a 2/32", but I always let them slide. Way too much paperwork. Plus I'm way too fat and not nearly bendy enough to examine for "visible leaks" underneath the vehicle
If you think the paperwork necessary to put a truck out of service is too much, just wait until you see the storm that comes if someone dies on the road and the quarterly checks show the truck never should have been loaded with packages.

A steak quesadilla does sound pretty good, though...

soc151

I've actually had to do this before. So much fun explaining to dock stops why I'm filling their warehouse with diesel fumes...

Doc Sorting Dude

Express trucks aren't that much better. Once I had practically bald tires. I wrote it up and in a week "walla!" I had four new tires. A week after that it was taken off and given to another truck and I had someone's "getting-close-to-bald" tires.