building heat @ 45 degrees

over9five

Staff member
LOL, I was in a building this morning and I walked by an office door that said "Plant Engineering". They really aren't cold like the rest of the building!

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Some nights 45 Deg is balmy where I work . Carharts ,hats and gloves are the dress of the day. Our sup complains the most about the cold . LOL

sven

Most UPS buildings have a locking key switch that transfers the building heaters from AC, AC for the supervisor's offices and customer counter NOT the building. Its the center managers job to get IE to come and and switch the heat on, its the Local Sort supervisors job to get the doors closed on the outside as soon as the trucks are parked. As for it being illegal to work inside in 45 degree temps, you might want to go take a look at OSHA's webpage and see if there is anything relating to this topic

menotyou

bella amicizia
Most UPS buildings have a locking key switch that transfers the building heaters from AC, AC for the supervisor's offices and customer counter NOT the building. Its the center managers job to get IE to come and and switch the heat on, its the Local Sort supervisors job to get the doors closed on the outside as soon as the trucks are parked. As for it being illegal to work inside in 45 degree temps, you might want to go take a look at OSHA's webpage and see if there is anything relating to this topic
Thank you.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
The Honorable Edward Rendell, Governor Emeritus of the Common Wealth of Pennsylvania put it best "its part of the wuzziufication of America". Man up, put your big boy pants on,and sweat shirts,and gloves ,and long undies.Teamsters are tuff we don't need no stinkin heat ! LOL

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just wanted to add to what I posted above:

Woke up this morning to 3" of new snow with more falling. I just noticed a bottle "boy" with his shopping cart filled to overflowing walking down the unplowed street to redeem his wares. This "boy" is in his mid 60's and is in failing health. He lives on my delivery area and I often see him and a friend driving around the city looking for scrap metal or anything that they can sell and make a few bucks. He lives in a trailer and can only dream about what you and I often take for granted.

If that doesn't put things in to perspective than I suppose nothing will.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Just wanted to add to what I posted above:

Woke up this morning to 3" of new snow with more falling. I just noticed a bottle "boy" with his shopping cart filled to overflowing walking down the unplowed street to redeem his wares. This "boy" is in his mid 60's and is in failing health. He lives on my delivery area and I often see him and a friend driving around the city looking for scrap metal or anything that they can sell and make a few bucks. He lives in a trailer and can only dream about what you and I often take for granted.

If that doesn't put things in to perspective than I suppose nothing will.
Then why is there a section in the contract for heat in the trucks? Guess you don't need that, either?
If the bottle "boy" worked in the building, I would expect them to give him heat, too.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
45 that is a heat wave I drive around all day with my passenger side door open unless the temp goes below 25. I find it a waste of time opening and shutting the door especially when the latch doesn't operate correctly.

It got down in the low 20's here last week and I was still wearing shorts and leaving my BH door open. I will admit to having the heater cranked though.

During the preload operation the doors to our building are kept closed and there are electric heaters located above the conveyer belts. The outdoor MDUs dont have electric heat, but when it gets cold they set up one of those portable propane "salamander" heaters at the end of each one. In the evening when the doors are necessarily kept open, the building just gets cold. There wouldnt be any feasable way to keep it warm. The clerks do have portable heaters because they dont move much, but the hub workers stay warm by working harder.