Buyout in 2013

Like I never post in the Union forum! LOL

This forum was created for management to discuss topics that management might be interested in.
Anyone can post here.
As you can see in this thread, non-management posts tend to be ignored ... especially if they are not constructive to the discussion.
you better watch out or ill turn this thread into a drunk thread. After all most management I know are real heavy drinkers that put me to shame.

Buck Fifty

Like I never post in the Union forum! LOL

This forum was created for management to discuss topics that management might be interested in.
Anyone can post here.
As you can see in this thread, non-management posts tend to be ignored ... especially if they are not constructive to the discussion.

You and Nancy should get a room.

TxRoadDawg

So whats the consensus in the end? Does UPS buyout the old timers to free up some room for the lowly part time sups like me to advance or should I keep investing in mega million and power ball tickets? Kinna irksome to know I drank the management kool aid making driving impossible yet have a snow balls chance in hell for advancement from this slot....

So whats the consensus in the end? Does UPS buyout the old timers to free up some room for the lowly part time sups like me to advance or should I keep investing in mega million and power ball tickets? Kinna irksome to know I drank the management kool aid making driving impossible yet have a snow balls chance in hell for advancement from this slot....
I'd stick with the mega million.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet

Look, if all you bring to the table is knowing how to manage hub employees, or other part time operations, not a lot of upward mobility. Even the package sups, if that is all they know, are limited. Unfortunately, in today's business environment, upward mobility means you need to demonstrate business savvy in more ways than being able to yell at your employees. Do you understand cost control? Do you analyze your operation to improve efficiency? Are you a leader, or do you just bellow at your people? UPS needs people in management who can help grow the business. How do you demonstrate that skill set?

TxRoadDawg

Mostly I'm the local report printer/ computer fixer/ DIR sql ad hoc creator / and once upon a time I kept a average address validation of 1 percent back when that was the flavor of the month to rate data sups by. just long on burned out on computers, bored, looking for a new challenge this position greatly lacks ect. kinna feel like im wasting the information tech degree with the business minor just making part time change...

beentheredonethat

Mostly I'm the local report printer/ computer fixer/ DIR sql ad hoc creator / and once upon a time I kept a average address validation of 1 percent back when that was the flavor of the month to rate data sups by. just long on burned out on computers, bored, looking for a new challenge this position greatly lacks ect. kinna feel like im wasting the information tech degree with the business minor just making part time change...

I don't see any buyout occurring. In my area of the country they are down FT supervisors. I see them actually tweaking the alignment a bit more and going down a district or two. Also, they may decide to remove the regions or at least go down to two regions. In the old days before all the technology having regions made sense. Now it doesn't.
As far as ad hoc sql queries etc. I did stuff like that a long time ago. I realized, that although this job is important, the people you work for don't see it as that important. THey think because they can click a mouse and print a report from SEAS, that writing the code should be just as easy. Get on linkedin and other networking sites. Take extra classes in college. Start applying for other jobs. If you are interested, the one area of the company that still hires is sales. You may want to look into that job.

upscorpis

There are numerous openings in UPS IS if you are so inclined.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
RoadDawg.....markets are pretty unique as far as mobility and needs go. As far as package car driving being impossible....I know the feeling. But that's NOT because you are a part time sup, specifically. The 1 in 7 rule doesn't help, but if there's no need, growth, or movement in your package car driver market....then that's just how it is. How is the situation in areas near you? For instance, when I went to Integrad...approximately 75% of the people there were from northern Virginia, from the street or from hubs/centers, looking to get routes in northern VA or DC. I was the ONLY person from central VA at Integrad, as our market was stagnant. There were a couple guys that were moving from various places just to get a route in northern VA.

As far as going FT....I've been a part time sup for almost 11 years now...I passed the MAPP process in 2007. Been waiting ever since. Is the juice worth the squeeze? I guess we'll see. Should you expect to wait as long as I have to get promoted? That depends on your perspective. I understand, for the most part, why it has taken so long for me. Between the economy taking a crap, promotion freezes left and right, our reorganization, and the general lack of movement in our FT sup ranks, I had to temper my expectations. Also, I work in the Air Group....which requires quite a different set of training and experience, so keeping me around to repalce one of our own aging FT sups makes sense. The wait is worth it, to me. But a lot of it is dependent on your perspective. Again, is the juice worth the squeeze?

Karma...

Seems like the TNT fiasco is a dead-end dead deal so the question is what to do with the monies that were originally slotted for the deal...Choices include higher dividends, buy out for the older management dawgs, buy other companies, better benefits for both management & hourly pensions and lower healthcare costs, management raises beyond inflation. what do you folks think ?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Seems like the TNT fiasco is a dead-end dead deal so the question is what to do with the monies that were originally slotted for the deal...Choices include higher dividends, buy out for the older management dawgs, buy other companies, better benefits for both management & hourly pensions and lower healthcare costs, management raises beyond inflation. what do you folks think ?

The only probability that rounds to a digit above ZERO is "buy other companies".

You forgot - buy back UPS stock ... that's a given I think.

Maybe buy out pensions of current management employees.

Increase advertising in Europe and expand capex for European operations.

If I think of anything else, I'll post.

Karma...

The only probability that rounds to a digit above ZERO is "buy other companies".

You forgot - buy back UPS stock ... that's a given I think.

Maybe buy out pensions of current management employees.

Increase advertising in Europe and expand capex for European operations.

If I think of anything else, I'll post.
I know that the stock buy back is ongoing so not worth mentioning as a new choice. Im surprised at the "sour grapes" line of explaining away the TNT failure. Im more than a little curious what the actual total cost of this endeaver amounts to. very embarressing across the board.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I know that the stock buy back is ongoing so not worth mentioning as a new choice. Im surprised at the "sour grapes" line of explaining away the TNT failure. Im more than a little curious what the actual total cost of this endeaver amounts to. very embarressing across the board.
Let's see, the stock went down on the original news that UPS was buying TNT.
It rose on the news of the "no go". Yeah, that was real embarrassing for me ???

brownIEman

Let us not forget that the plan was to put about $3B in cash toward the TNT purchase and finance the rest with yet more debt.

the $.27B penalty leaves us with 2.73 or there abouts.

Here is a thought, how about we slate some of that toward retireing some of the dept acquired from previous acquisitions? Not to mention the Billions we have borrowed to shore up both Hourly and Non-Hourly Pension funds?

Or perhaps a strike fund... just in case.

beentheredonethat

Let us not forget that the plan was to put about $3B in cash toward the TNT purchase and finance the rest with yet more debt.

the $.27B penalty leaves us with 2.73 or there abouts.

Here is a thought, how about we slate some of that toward retireing some of the dept acquired from previous acquisitions? Not to mention the Billions we have borrowed to shore up both Hourly and Non-Hourly Pension funds?

Or perhaps a strike fund... just in case.

Personally, I agree with you on retiring debt. But I don't see that happening. Even though our debt got downgraded, it is still very good and we enjoy very low interest rates. UPS United Parcel Service Inc (UPS) debt, bond, rates, credit - Morningstar
If you look at the link you can see a lot of the notes and the interest rates. Keep in mind, bonds can get confusing, there are a few out there that have a relatively high interest rate, for example, 1.5 billion at 6.2% interest rate, however the bond is trading for higher then the coupon value so the actual current yield is 4.03%. (In other words to buy back the 1.5 billion bond, would cost well more then 1.5 billion. Many other of our borrowings is at much lower interest rates. Also, the good thing about the bonds is that UPS can deduct the cost of interest from our pretax operating profits, so even the 4.03% rate is a incorrect, since corporate tax rate is close to 40% (I rounded up). So the net effect to an after tax is the 4.03% rate is equal to 2.42% rate. That is lower then what we pay out in a dividend rate (which is after tax). So financially it makes no sense to pay off our debt.

What I wish they did with the money is spend a year (or two) really putting money down on UPS facilities. There are a lot of facilities that are old and aren't built well for today's package charateristics. We should build some new hubs (esp in NJ and CT area) plus I'm sure in other areas of the country. Or we could build 2 new superhubs similar to Cchil one on east coast, one on west coast. This will help to reduce the volume capacity needed at other hubs since the superhub can make more direct to preload loads.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Bingo! Our buybacks are always at ridiculously high share prices. It's obvious that the goal of the buyback program isn't to retire as many shares as possible.

Not always ... I remember after 9/11 UPS buying a lot of shares at $47 /share. Which incidentally was a couple of bucks above the margin call.

Not sure about late 2008 ... I know a lot of UPS management that got margin calls exercised and they lost a lot of their stock and then had to sell more to pay their taxes.