California Lunch Law

northeast swing driver

Fedex took away split pay and premium pay last month because a bunch of drivers in California sued claiming the pay wasn't broken down properly on the paychecks

Why is it always in California where there is a problem like this

Screwed a lot of hard working night pickup drivers and split shift drivers out of thousands of bucks a year

Got to love fredEx

Puts 20 cents in the right pocket at tri-annual raise time and then has to figure out a way to grab 50 cents out of the left pocket to recoup the raise

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Here's a bigger question. Why isn't this NATIONAL.

The lunch issue is a NATIONWIDE, not just Cali.

Why can't these other drivers wake up colaborate with a Lawer and base the suite on what they used in the California case !! All we need is already laid out from that case.

Backlasher

You still have every legal right to take your break. They just don't have to force u to take your break. Sounds right to me we are big girls and boys we can take our own breaks.

The majority are all a bunch of girls or we would all be taken real lunches and UPS wouldn't touch us cause we could shut it down if we ALL stuck to it!! Screw the #'s and fake lunch, " put one in even if you don't use it" is a lecture we hear nationally and that is forcing many to get a half hr or more taken out of pay for a lunch they are not taken just to make UPS look good on paper and with time allowance #'s!!!

Stop being chicks and man up, if the law siute worked in Cali, We can push this nationally.

I was told it don't matter when you take lunch, Meaning put it in end of day if u have 2.

I want my REAL Lunch and I want it @ during a REAL lunch hour!!

They will only adjust the routes for this to happen if EVERY driver pushes this!!!!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yep everyone that covers my route skips lunch to get pick ups in a town 30 miles away. I won't do it if I have to take my lunch I'm taking it at lunch time!!!! They all then complain that they cover the pick ups when I'm on the route I say tough take your break make them figure it out.

CharleyHustle

The majority are all a bunch of girls

I want my REAL Lunch and I want it @ during a REAL lunch hour!!

They will only adjust the routes for this to happen if EVERY driver pushes this!!!!

By reading the article and then looking at where I work it seems the "majority" are workers that don't want to take a lunch at all. Yes, in my barn, there are drivers that insist on their hour lunch, but they are becoming a smaller "minority" everyday. We are only asked to take 10 minutes paid and 20 unpaid, that is what I take and when they drop the 20 unpaid I'll only take the paid break. The reality is that while some may be "girls" the majority want to either get home earlier or make more money and sitting around for an hour everyday in hopes that UPS will adjust routes ain't gettin it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

By reading the article and then looking at where I work it seems the "majority" are workers that don't want to take a lunch at all. Yes, in my barn, there are drivers that insist on their hour lunch, but they are becoming a smaller "minority" everyday. We are only asked to take 10 minutes paid and 20 unpaid, that is what I take and when they drop the 20 unpaid I'll only take the paid break. The reality is that while some may be "girls" the majority want to either get home earlier or make more money and sitting around for an hour everyday in hopes that UPS will adjust routes ain't gettin it.

Take a moment and think about what you just wrote. You intend to work a 9-10 hour day and only take a 10 minute break the whole day. That's absurd, not to mention unhealthy and unsafe. I agree than an hour is too long---most companies give their employees 1/2 hour, which I would be fine with. We already know what the company does with our dispatches thanks to the lunch skippers---can you imagine what they would do if we all thought like you?

In Upstate NY we must record a 45 minute lunch break. Notice I didn't say "take"--they only time they care if we actually take our lunch is if something happens while we are on a recorded lunch break, such as a customer concern or an issue with a delivery. Telematics gives them the ability to track those employees who routinely work through their lunches. This information is largely ignored as it benefits the company. The Union needs to be given access to this data and to then work with those drivers.

Backlasher

Dude, If everyone grew some BALLs and pushed it, they would have no choice !! Majority has power but to blind to C it !! We do have a union, but we aern't using it the way we need to. This whole thing needs regulated!!!

The strike was just the beginning but apparently, people were satisfied with it and didn't follow threw !!!

Do you think UPS really would take a chance of another strike and more business lost. It was on us to follow threw and keep the statement strong but just went into submission being bought and bribed with BIGGER RAISES as a trade off.

The get home early to see family is weak !!! I have family to and understand, BUT there are countless jobs out there Union as well as non union, Good paying and bad paying jobs alike, that all get 8 hrs. work and Real 10 min breaks and lunches and all home with families at a decent hr.

The argument of weather or not they are hiring, or quite and go get that job are WEAK ALSO !!!

The point is we should have the same standards as the majority. On top of all this, we not only have a UNION, but also have Goverment regulations so I ask again.

You want and we want to get home to family, etc... Then were in the world are our BACK BONES !!!!

The answer as to how to get home to see the family is not in skipping LUNCH !!! It's putting our boots down b4 next contract !!!

moreluck

golden ticket member
"Dude, If everyone grew some BALLs and pushed it, they would have no choice !! Majority has power but to blind to C it !!"

If you could only get that point across to N. Korea.......

Backlasher

Fake or skipped breaks just adds more work eventually and worse time allowances and another route gone while another good route gets screwed up.

Every arguement I've heard against these matters are just weak. I take mine but 1 verses 20+ other drivers fake lunching and working an hr + early off the clock kills any effort to do whats right !!

It takes the majority to screw this up or fix it !!!

island1fox

Wow. The things that people state without thinking. Would UPS risk another strike and loose more business ??? How about the other side of the coin ---less business = less union jobs !! More work for non-unions like the friend word !!!
In your world there is only risk to one side ??? Pretty narrow thinking.

P

pickup

I know someone who works for a limo company in L.A. ,California. He told me many drivers in his company (after they were fired) signed up for a class action lawsuit related to this lunch issue.

The limo company, in an effort to avoid further lawsuits is attempting to avoid the appearance of not giving the lunchbreak. They could do that by giving the lunchbreak but logistics of the operation make it difficult. Many of the drivers are often contracted for the day by hollywood type people. They are often on standby for what could be hours at a time or minutes at a time(depending on the whims and/or needs of the clients. ) .

While many of them do have enough time to eat lunch, they never know when they will or for how long. Their time is not their own.

Backlasher

Wow. The things that people state without thinking. Would UPS risk another strike and loose more business ??? How about the other side of the coin ---less business = less union jobs !! More work for non-unions like the friend word !!!
In your world there is only risk to one side ??? Pretty narrow thinking.

IT wouldn't go that far cause they know it's to much to risk. That's my point. Stop acting like an old granny.

It's hard to even believe we have a union at times cause of our own employees actions coming in 2 hrs early working off clock.

It's narrow thinking to think we should keep our eyes closed and burn routes skipping fakeing breaks to c family when we all know that one day the time allowance gets screwed enough we will all be skipping lunch just to get to bed at a decent time !!!

Look @ the past up till know and honestly show me real proof that what the majority of these drivers do is helping save time on the work day LONG TERM!!!!!!!!!!

Keep making up excuses. You make your own bed.

Are we Union or Mexacan immagrents getting bribed to deal with it with more $$ an Hour ????

CharleyHustle

Take a moment and think about what you just wrote. You intend to work a 9-10 hour day and only take a 10 minute break the whole day. That's absurd, not to mention unhealthy and unsafe.

After the first year they dropped the hour lunch requirement, 75% of drivers were taking a half hour. Its more than that now. "Unhealthy" or "unsafe", most drivers and from the article linked, workers at Chille's and other resturants in California want LESS lunch time. The argument is that it will be an up hill battle to convince your co-workers to go back to a hour.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

After the first year they dropped the hour lunch requirement, 75% of drivers were taking a half hour. Its more than that now. "Unhealthy" or "unsafe", most drivers and from the article linked, workers at Chille's and other resturants in California want LESS lunch time. The argument is that it will be an up hill battle to convince your co-workers to go back to a hour.

Had you bothered to quote my entire post you would have read that I would also prefer to take just a half hour.

CharleyHustle

Ok, from now on I'll quote entire posts and use up space and bandwidth on tireless drivel of which I have no comment on.

We still can take a full hour if we so desire, but as I said fewer and fewer so desire, and in fact want to take less lunch. Now if the all mighty "majority" (which Backlasher says should rule) want to take LESS lunch (which you seem to be in favor of) is it a given to grow a set and fight for a reduced required lunch break?