Can the Union Force Local 89?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

However it look like the IBT will implement an impasse on the three remaining supplements and ram it in without their approval. Unfortunately, the IBT can excercise that clause.

If Hoffa chooses to force his will as opposed to honoring the majority then my advice to Hoffa is start cleaning out your desk now. That way when the election comes it'll be an easier transition to the unemployment line.

He will be honoring the majority who approved the master and their local supplements.

upschuck

If Hoffa chooses to force his will as opposed to honoring the majority then my advice to Hoffa is start cleaning out your desk now. That way when the election comes it'll be an easier transition to the unemployment line.
Why that clause is in the IBT constitution is they would have no leverage if there is not an approved strike vote, and could not get it done after three attempts. Why would spending a million more hours on something get better results if their is no threat to the company if they don't give into unions demands. The key is the strike authorization vote.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Louisville was one of the last supplements to be re-voted for a reason; UPS made sure to pick-off the other supplements, one-by-one, and then leave the "trouble" locals (West PA, Philly Air, Louisville) for last. There's a total lack of momentum now, on the union side, since the fight on healthcare was essentially "won" in the NMA. Whenever this finally gets done, it's going to be interesting to see if UPS starts diverting air packages away from Philly/Louisville over the next 5 years.

The vast majority of part-timers (the FT drivers will almost always be more "solid" on a strike for a number of reasons) were willing to walk over the idea of paying $90/week for something they pay $0/week for now.
Now, they just want their raises and back-pay. UPS knows this and has probably heard it (from PT supervisors and up) nearly as much as the stewards/locals have heard it.

Personally, I don't think we should have ever "pumped the brakes" after UPS backed down and agreed to pool the company plan participants into CS H&W. This is something the union has wanted for years and the company has been adamantly against for just as long; it simply took the Affordable Care Act to make it happen. We should have been willing to stare down the barrel of the gun just a little bit longer and not agreed to a 4 year progression along with trying to get 22.3 language that's worth something.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
There were people sent to help but the leadership in 89 is not going to support the contract no matter what they get because of politics. Their leader has bigger political aspirations. His motivation is more for himself than his members. This "fight" he is having only includes the air hub it doesn't include the rest of the UPS members in his local.
It really gets old listening to the same rhetoric from you.
If there is a contrary thought pattern to what you spew from your soapbox, it's dismissed as politically motivated, or the "Boogieman" TDU is behind it.
The employees of the Worldport in Local 89 are not happy with their supplement, and it isn't because they are co-conspirators with Fred Z to be the next IBT General President.
They didn't show up in record numbers to vote down the first offer by more than 89% to satisfy anybodies political aspirations.
The only thing Local 89 is guilty of is representing the interests of their members.

Worldport employees routinely spent as much as 2 uncompensated hours to get to and from their respective work areas, an issue that was obviously not addressed to their satisfaction in the first offer.
There are several other issues they are looking to have addressed as well, while they have what may be a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Conceivably, they will never be in a position with the leverage they have at the moment.

I know all of this not by reading the ramblings of internet trolls.
I know this because I took the time and initiative to actually go Louisville and meet with several officials from Local 89, as well as spend a day with them handbilling and talking to the affected employees of UPS Worldport.
In my opinion, this is how the process is supposed to work and if that makes me a heretic or "TDU", then it will be a monicker I wear proudly having earned it first hand.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If there is a contrary thought pattern to what you spew from your soapbox, it's dismissed as politically motivated, or the "Boogieman" TDU is behind it.
The employees of the Worldport in Local 89 are not happy with their supplement, and it isn't because they are co-conspirators with Fred Z to be the next IBT General President.
They didn't show up in record numbers to vote down the first offer by more than 89% to satisfy anybodies political aspirations.
The only thing Local 89 is guilty of is representing the interests of their members.

Worldport employees routinely spent as much as 2 uncompensated hours to get to and from their respective work areas, an issue that was obviously not addressed to their satisfaction in the first offer.
There are several other issues they are looking to have addressed as well, while they have what may be a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Conceivably, they will never be in a position with the leverage they have at the moment.

I know this because I took the time and initiative to actually go Louisville and meet with several officials from Local 89, as well as spend a day with them handbilling and talking to the affected employees of UPS Worldport.
In my opinion, this is how the process is supposed to work and if that makes me a heretic or "TDU", then it will be a monicker I wear proudly having earned it first hand.
This is what cracks me up. Do people think zuck has brainwased his whole local or has mind control somehow? I'm sorry but if these people had no problem with their supplement they would vote yes regardless.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

When the members I represent in the hub ask me why Louisville (specifically) is holding up the contract, I explain the shuttle issue and the amount of time the Worldport Teamsters spend (unpaid) simply going to and from the hub. Even the most diehard "I want my raise!" guys look a little taken aback and give me a "that's not right" or "that's bull:censored2:!"

Stonefish

The feeling is mutual with the same old rhetoric from you and your soapbox.
They are not going to support the contract because of a few reasons one of them being the healthcare issue that is already resolved in the National Master. They as well as you just don't get that part.
There are also issues they are asking for that could have been addressed through the grievance procedure which they chose not to pursue. Now think about this if they lose in it negotiations, they will never get it through the grievance procedure. An arbitrator will not award something in the grievance procedure that you weren't successful in receiving in negotiations. It is being done backwards. In my opinion.
I will agree with you on this you are entitled to your opinion.
I am glad for you that you took the time to go to Louisville to meet with several officials from 89 and hand bill.

UPSGUY72

89 isn't going to go on strike. They have no leverage UPS would send SUP from all over the country to cover the Area and also send work to other HUBS. The kicker is that they know it and all that they can do is drag this out as long as they can hoping to get a little better deal.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Couple questions:

Why do Worldport employees have to make a 45 min commute to and from the hub?

What's the difference between the 1.5 hour commute round trip for Worldport employees and someone catching public transit to a UPS hub?

stink219

You are saying that UPS will disrupt service to all the US just to get the 1,2 or 3 riders and supplements to pass?

You are crazy. That is like cutting off a finger because it has a cut on it.

UPS has an ace in the hole. Their number 1 negotiator/sale person (Hoffa) is still in play and UPS is waiting to play him. Hoffa will step in and impose this contract before October.

Because that is the International President we know he is.

Then Stink and the gang can all celebrate how great Hoffa is, and how many jobs he saved.
Maybe all these hold out locals should have been more vocal in the two man meetings. Oh I forgot, they changed their tunes for votes. I expected nothing more from Zuck. He isn't a man of his word anyway. If I ever needed someone to stab me in the back, then he is my man!!!

~A liar knows that he is a liar, but one who speaks mere portions of truth in order to deceive is a craftsman of destruction.~

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Couple questions:

What's the difference between the 1.5 hour commute round trip for Worldport employees and someone catching public transit to a UPS hub?

1) The closest employee parking lots require them to ride a shuttle. They do not have the option of driving closer to the facility.

2) Hubs in metro areas offer discount public transit passes. Public transportation is much more convenient that driving your own car. Those who do choose to drive can park much closer to the facility than those at Worldport.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Couple questions:

This was my question also. My hub (Lenexa, KS) runs a shuttle from Lawrence, which is a 45 min. to an hour drive, depending on traffic. Never heard anyone complain. I live 5 minutes away, maybe the Louisville workers either deal with it or work closer to where they live? No other employer provides transport and then pays you to ride it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Is it possible for UPS to build a lot closer to the facility?

I have a feeling that any expansion would be on capacity, not parking.

The shuttle has worked well up til now----for some reason it has become a stumbling block in the negotiation process this time. UPS offered a one-time $1K "shuttle bonus"----it was voted down.

It's time for the IBT to take control of this process.