Can they do that??????

chopstic

at my building supervisors work when there are no union employees available. They also get around the time guarantee by offering to let people off early, but not necessarily ordering them to clock out early. If you as a union employee volunteer to leave early then have no right to your time guarantee. It gets tricky... if a supervisor says "your work is done, go clock out" that means you HAVE to clock out. but what if the supervisor says "you CAN clock out now", that statement translates logically as " you have the option of clocking out now".

UnconTROLLed

perfection
at my building supervisors work when there are no union employees available. They also get around the time guarantee by offering to let people off early, but not necessarily ordering them to clock out early. If you as a union employee volunteer to leave early then have no right to your time guarantee. It gets tricky... if a supervisor says "your work is done, go clock out" that means you HAVE to clock out. but what if the supervisor says "you CAN clock out now", that statement translates logically as " you have the option of clocking out now".

That is not that tricky? lol

If someone leaves before 3 1/2 without being forced, you don't get the 3 1/2.

I disagree about just "accepting the loss". In some areas, yes. UPS has their employees wrapped around their big fat finger, and it's best not to grieve and make waves. But if people actually care in your area, or building, then it's best to poll around and ask others how they feel (being sent home, not called back, supervisors worked in their place, only you were called back). It all depends on those types of dynamics. It might be too late now, but people have the right to know about that type play. Everyone should have been offered to stay (in seniority order) and do the work if going by the book. Obviously UPS isn't going to pay a bunch of people to stick around because , well, it's UPS, so they want to go about it their way and not the right way.