cost of health insurance for retirees

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
A lot of us recent retirees also had faith in our benefits....That is until they were watered down. I never lived Cheap, Frugal, Tight, whatever you want to call it..You only live once so I am enjoying the ride without worrying so much as tomorrow may never come. Looking at numbers in a statement does not give you any more time on this earth. I am spending those numbers, after all...work your butt off for 25-30 yrs at UPS then be afraid to live it up?...that is if you can walk out in fairly good healthy shape. I would hope to die with little or nothing left except leave the Life insurance for the wife. I keep my home cool in summer out here in AZ. Most leave their homes on 80-82..They are nuts. I keep mine at 72 most of the time..The cost..who cares..I spent many years dripping sweat in a pkg car, sticking to the back of the seat, dropping sweat on the clipboard when still on paper..now it is my time to enjoy what I earned, not penny pinch because you may be worried about needing money the next day, week or yr.. Just think of the guy who flew that plane into the mountain... The people on that flight may have had future plans, but as you know they all ended in a flash,you never know when your number will be up..And a dirt nap is a looooooong loooooooong time
Any children?

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Medicare and a medicare supplement should be more than enough.
It's not.

My parents fork out hundreds a month for the 12 prescriptions they have between them.

Some of the medications are over $200 per month each and they have part D supplement.

Time to re-think your plan there Dave.

The Milkman

It's not.

My parents fork out hundreds a month for the 12 prescriptions they have between them.

Some of the medications are over $200 per month each and they have part D supplement.

Time to re-think your plan there Dave.

My wife and I are in great shape, we do take some maintenance stuff but nothing to expensive. We both try to hit the gym 3-4 times a week as a type of insurance to keep our tails in good physical shape, we never smoked and very rarely will we have beer..keeping active is one good way to stave off any problems. Now if I live to be 90 or so, (27 yrs to go) I expect to be slower and expect to have more pains but by that time and I wil not give a crap as I would of had many good years of retirement that I enjoyed in fairly decent shape...

rod

Retired 22 years
Because you need glasses every few years at a couple hundred bucks. People spend more on car maintenance then they do on health care and don't bat an eye.

I just spent $600+ on just lenses. I go with the ultra light plastic lenses that are coated to prevent scratching. Good lenses aren't cheap but mine are guaranteed (one time free replacement) to not scratch for two years so just before the 2 years are up I get a free replacement that lasts another 2 years. Being that I ride a motorcycle and wear clip on sunglasses I can always find some tiny scratch after 2 years. My eye site hasn't changed in years so I've done this 4 year thing for the 13+ years I've been retired.

The Milkman

I just spent $600+ on just lenses. I go with the ultra light plastic lenses that are coated to prevent scratching. Good lenses aren't cheap but mine are guaranteed (one time free replacement) to not scratch for two years so just before the 2 years are up I get a free replacement that lasts another 2 years. Being that I ride a motorcycle and wear clip on sunglasses I can always find some tiny scratch after 2 years. My eye site hasn't changed in years so I've done this 4 year thing for the 13+ years I've been retired.

Nice deal you got goin on

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Because you need glasses every few years at a couple hundred bucks. People spend more on car maintenance then they do on health care and don't bat an eye.

That's why the republicans keep trying to repeal the Affordable Car Care Act. Because Health care is so darn cheap, they don't even bat an eye, especially without Vision care being such a bargain.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I was in the hospital for 3 weeks in Oct/Nov, including the ER visit initially. Actually 2 different hospitals. Damn near kicked the bucket. 2 ambulance rides. Kidneys stopped functioning. Went on dialysis for 10 days. When I got out I had a home oxygen system for several weeks, along with a walker. I declined a wheelchair, home visits and rehab because I'm stubborn. The little statements that came in that I actually looked at that showed how much insurance paid totaled over $250,000.00. All the bills have come in by now, and I'm out of pocket maybe $400.00, +or-. Having said that, I'm also on my wife's insurance where she works, and I'm not sure how much hers kicked in on my behalf. I'm sure not complaining.(knock on wood)

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
My wife and I are in great shape, we do take some maintenance stuff but nothing to expensive. We both try to hit the gym 3-4 times a week as a type of insurance to keep our tails in good physical shape, we never smoked and very rarely will we have beer..keeping active is one good way to stave off any problems. Now if I live to be 90 or so, (27 yrs to go) I expect to be slower and expect to have more pains but by that time and I wil not give a crap as I would of had many good years of retirement that I enjoyed in fairly decent shape...
My parents were in GREAT shape when they retired.

20 years later, things change.

The Milkman

My parents were in GREAT shape when they retired.

20 years later, things change.

I'm sure they will, the joys of growing old. Aches and pains. I was able to walk out not hobble out of UPS. Into my 8th year and still going strong. If we live long enough no amount of money will be able to prevent Cancer, Arthritis, Loss of eyesight, hearing loss, mobility etc..That's why we are going full blast now because someday the party will be over. By then I could care less about how good my statements look. I will be too busy changing my depends and or my catheter bag

rod

Retired 22 years
I never saw a Brinks truck following a funeral procession..have you? Go Yankees!

No I haven't ----- but I've witness too many family squabbles over how to split up the estate. Have a will and make sure your wishes are known is probably some of the best advise a person can take.

The Milkman

No I haven't ----- but I've witness too many family squabbles over how to split up the estate. Have a will and make sure your wishes are known is probably some of the best advise a person can take.

Spending mine up..so no problems with that issue

35yrwstpadriver

Pittsburgh Brown
Thinking about retirement in the next year or so.I have 32 years in now,but am only 51.I have looked at the cost of health insurance in my area(Joint council #83),and the numbers are hard to take.It will be $680 a month for me and $730 for family,with reduced coverage amounts.Was looking for input on the cost from other areas/supplements.

35yrwstpadriver

Pittsburgh Brown
Thinking about retirement in the next year or so.I have 32 years in now,but am only 51.I have looked at the cost of health insurance in my area(Joint council #83),and the numbers are hard to take.It will be $680 a month for me and $730 for family,with reduced coverage amounts.Was looking for input on the cost from other areas/supplements.
Our union is failing us in regards to many issues, especially this one. We work way too hard to get sold out at the end with these expenses when the company is so profitable. Unfortunately we our bound by the current CBA. Remember this the next time we choose our leadership.

The Milkman

Our union is failing us in regards to many issues, especially this one. We work way too hard to get sold out at the end with these expenses when the company is so profitable. Unfortunately we our bound by the current CBA. Remember this the next time we choose our leadership.

You are so right, The Union Failed, and now we are all paying the price.