Current TA

dudebro

Management sees "all retail type routes" as revenue losers. Why? Didn't we charge for the delivery?
We did, but the new game is "quality" of revenue. The retail route is fine as long as it came from a "small or medium business" that doesn't qualify for a volume discount.

HarryWarden

That's about the dumbest thing on Brown Cafe that I have ever heard . When I picked up 400-500 packages a day (some days before I retired ) you don't call that revenue ? I might not have collected the $ for said service you better believe UPS as a company did. You can't be that dumb maybe you are playing with words .
Nearly Everyone on this site is arguing with each other on whose job is more important and who deserves more money and who doesn’t deserve more money

Thank goodness we have a union representing and fighting for all of us, otherwise if it was up to you guys we’d all be cutting our nose off to spite our face

And it’s weird how so many talk about union member physical labor workers making too much, but I rarely ever hear about the ceo and shareholders taking billions

Staydryitsraining

Nearly Everyone on this site is arguing with each other on whose job is more important and who deserves more money and who doesn’t deserve more money

Thank goodness we have a union representing and fighting for all of us, otherwise if it was up to you guys we’d all be cutting our nose off to spite our face

And it’s weird how so many talk about union member physical labor workers making too much, but I rarely ever hear about the ceo and shareholders taking billions
Most drivers have been with the company a significant amount of time. They put in years and years as a part timer. They started at 8.50 or lower. They busted their asses and took pride in the job they did. So they know throwing more money at a part timer isn't going to fix them.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
We did, but the new game is "quality" of revenue. The retail route is fine as long as it came from a "small or medium business" that doesn't qualify for a volume discount.
If retail is so worthless, why not refuse to move it?

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Why are people like that. The man pays you a wage to do what he asks you to do. Your job is to do it no matter how stupid it is as long it’s not unsafe,illegal or immoral
Just turn your brain off makes life at ups almost bearable

It's difficult to explain unless you have been a tech.

Most of us like to think we are good at what we do and take pride in fixing things, not being able to do the job properly because of things outside your control takes a toll on people that take pride in their work.

Also, the way UPS does automotive we have to manage our fleets, we decide what we do and prioritize our own work the sups very hands off here,unless they get yelled at about something then they want to question every decision you make.

You can get a email on Monday yelling about telematics and they want you to work on them and then on tuesday get a email why did you work on telematics Monday and not catch up on redtags.

It's nice having autonomy in our work day and many of us can go months without seeing a sup but some guys can't adjust to that.. they want to be work as directed and that does not really exist for the most part in automotive here.

Last edited:

upschuck

That's about the dumbest thing on Brown Cafe that I have ever heard . When I picked up 400-500 packages a day (some days before I retired ) you don't call that revenue ? I might not have collected the $ for said service you better believe UPS as a company did. You can't be that dumb maybe you are playing with words .
Did you even slightly kinda think that was sarcastic?

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Entitlement? Sometimes I think lthats what it adds up to be. Other times I think its just lack of discipline, Or even both

It's nothing to do with entitlement. It's the way automotive here is run, it's an afterthought run by people that have no real world experience in the repair buisness, and it shows. We have many guys working in shops they cant even get a 1000 in.. how the hell are you supposed to do the job when you don't even have the proper equipment and space.

I am in a major hub and during peak we can't access our shop between 2am and noon! The mechanics working are screwed if they have nothing to put in the bay, i used that time to do small repairs in line but I could not do my job effectively that way. I would have stuff I needed the shop for so the truck would end up redtagged instead

A lot of guys don't want to deal with that, they want to work in dealers with real bays and equipment during daylight hours

I worked in a lot of shops before UPS and NONE of my former coworkers were interested in joining me at UPS..
Even after I explained the pay and benefits.

Last edited:
And screw the part timers and customer counter people
Deal. Make it happen.

predator-handshake.gif

Kirk79

I bet, I wish I could stand around drinking coffee and gossiping with drivers 40hrs a week. Lol jk but that was one mechanic we had but he gon now. We ended up gettin this country boy and was a total stud at his job. It was refreshing but nothing gold can stay, he was stolen by our neighboring center. Sidebar have you been receiving a lot of recapped tires?
All we get is retreads. Better hang on between the speeds of 40-55 mph

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Oh, he can be even dumber than that. The amount of misinformation that oozes from those webbed fingers is mind blowing

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
All we get is retreads. Better hang on between the speeds of 40-55 mph
Ya man I had requested tires at one point and I was told that they aren’t ordering any because of “budgeting” lol and two weeks later I noticed some beefy treads on my PC and when I hit 50mph it got squirrely. Mechanic said it’s because of the recapped tires. Thank you for the intel.

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
It's nothing to do with entitlement. It's the way automotive here is run, it's an afterthought run by people that have no real world experience in the repair buisness, and it shows. We have many guys working in shops they cant even get a 1000 in.. how the hell are you supposed to do the job when you don't even have the proper equipment and space.

I am in a major hub and during peak we can't access our shop between 2am and noon! The mechanics working are screwed if they have nothing to put in the bay, i used that time to do small repairs in line but I could not do my job effectively that way. I would have stuff I needed the shop for so the truck would end up redtagged instead

A lot of guys don't want to deal with that, they want to work in dealers with real bays and equipment during daylight hours

I worked in a lot of shops before UPS and NONE of my former coworkers were interested in joining me at UPS..
Even after I explained the pay and benefits.
When you put it like that it sounds like victim of circumstance and I see your point of view.

dudebro

If retail is so worthless, why not refuse to move it?
I didn't say it was worthless. I said it probably makes sense if the shipper is a small or medium business who doesn't pay a discounted rate. Believe me, over the past 10 years we've increased prices dramatically (especially surcharges on special handling packages) and we're one of the most expensive carriers.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I didn't say it was worthless. I said it probably makes sense if the shipper is a small or medium business who doesn't pay a discounted rate. Believe me, over the past 10 years we've increased prices dramatically (especially surcharges on special handling packages) and we're one of the most expensive carriers.

From my limited understanding the other common carriers have been increasing their surcharges close to the same rates as UPS.

Everybody was trying to take advantage during the pandemic.

Didn’t UPS stock almost doubled from 2020 to 2023…?

Over70irregs

Im tired of more penalty pay for 9.5s or 8hr requests.
No forced overtime period. 8hs, period.
My family deserves their father.

In before.... this job has never been a 9-5 job.

I ring every door bell past 6pm, for all deliveries, regardlss if the "baby is asleep". At least you're home with your families to complain about that door bell.

If im out past 7pm, its the full audible ups at each stop. Honk the Horn, YELL Ups, and ring that bell and give a quick knock.

Once its sundown, the flashlights come on and ill shine them anywhere i feel, to protect my safety.

I will puposefully follow every method for making customer contact, and WHEN the customer is mad, i simply appologize, say im following company policy, and to call and complain if the have any issues.

End forced overtime.
Nope. Sorry. Stay out. Only way is to file, use 8.0 day, intermittent leave or………… pension contributions for all hours worked.