Denied personal day

Call in.
As Over said, what the appointment is for is no one's business but your's. If they ask you what is for just tell them it is personal. be sure you call at LEAST one hour before start time.
Are you a driver or what?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Dialing it in 2 days in a row is actually a pretty savvy move. Keep in mind that when you call in, no one believes you're really sick even if you are. They just figure you had something better to do than work that day. But when you call in 2 days in a row, they start to wonder..."Maybe he really is sick".

tieguy

Banned
Oh heck. Call out take the rest of your life off.

I'm not a professional at this friday call off thing like you guys but it seems like him calling out and bringing a note from the doctor he sees would cover all the bases.

I do love reading this thread though. This is one example where you fellas will quote the contract to me all day until this example where it works against ya. :happy-very:

UPSGUY72

I signed up for a personal day next week and was denied... i need that day off.. what should i do? call in sick?

Personal days are just like vacations they go by senoirty. There are probably other drivers with more time wanting that day. Or they just don't have enough people to cover vacations.

Call in tell them your booking off then call the next morning and book back on. Remember TWO CAN PLAY THE GAME.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Oh heck. Call out take the rest of your life off.

I'm not a professional at this friday call off thing like you guys but it seems like him calling out and bringing a note from the doctor he sees would cover all the bases.

I do love reading this thread though. This is one example where you fellas will quote the contract to me all day until this example where it works against ya. :happy-very:

The example was quoted, so how did we not quote the contract to you? That made no sense Tie. Good subliminal troll attempt though.

and it only works against you, the supervisor, so maybe that is why your post seems filled with frustration. :funny: Either way the person gets the day, so who is it working against again? :)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Personal days are just like vacations they go by seniority.
Let me get this straight. I put in for a personal day for 6/12. When I signed up there were 2 others on the list and was told by my on-car that all he could let off that day was 3 so I was all set. Are saying that a higher seniority driver who still has days left could bump anyone on that list with less seniority than he has? Doesn't work that way here and, to be honest, I don't find that to be very fair. Vacations--yes. Personal/sick days--no.

UPSGUY72

Let me get this straight. I put in for a personal day for 6/12. When I signed up there were 2 others on the list and was told by my on-car that all he could let off that day was 3 so I was all set. Are saying that a higher seniority driver who still has days left could bump anyone on that list with less seniority than he has? Doesn't work that way here and, to be honest, I don't find that to be very fair. Vacations--yes. Personal/sick days--no.

I didn't say sick days I said personal days. Yes I'm saying that a higher senority guy could bump a lower senority guy it works that why in my building.

tieguy

Banned
The example was quoted, so how did we not quote the contract to you? That made no sense Tie. Good subliminal troll attempt though.

and it only works against you, the supervisor, so maybe that is why your post seems filled with frustration. :funny: Either way the person gets the day, so who is it working against again? :)

In reality those who quote the scripture from the good contract book to me should also learn to abide by it. The contract allows a set number of optional holidays. If you don't have the seniority to get your day off then you should abide by the contract and come to work. Its an area where you folks will routinely ignore the contract. But yet you folks fill this thread up with your tips on how to bypass the language and intent but you will scream bloody murder when management tries to do the same.

I didn't see anyone suggest the person talks to one of the folks who were approved to see if he could get him to back out on his request and free up a slot? No team in teamster?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In reality those who quote the scripture from the good contract book to me should also learn to abide by it. The contract allows a set number of optional holidays. If you don't have the seniority to get your day off then you should abide by the contract and come to work. Its an area where you folks will routinely ignore the contract. But yet you folks fill this thread up with your tips on how to bypass the language and intent but you will scream bloody murder when management tries to do the same.

I didn't see anyone suggest the person talks to one of the folks who were approved to see if he could get him to back out on his request and free up a slot? No team in teamster?

Good one tie ... as i said in a couple other threads, "Integrity is relative".

Now somebody will probably say calling in sick is in the contract ... tsk, tsk.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

Show me language that says not calling in sick is abiding by the contract.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
It doesn't work that way here either Upstate. Not only does it go by seniority but timelyness plays a role as well. If I request a personal day and it is approved then I can't be bumped out. The senior driver gets a big fat NO!

JonFrum

BlackJack616, You've given the Company ample notice that you need the day off. You made the effort. They refused you.

This is the best of times to take a sick day because the volume is down and people are on layoff.

There is nothing in the Contract that says you have to be sick to take a sick day. Just as you don't have to go to church to justify taking Christmas off, or go the fireworks to justify taking July Fourth off.

Here in Massachusetts we have the Small Necessities Leave Act that allows employees to take up to 24 hours off by Law. Maybe your state has a similar law.

Are you covered by the fedral (or state) Family And Medical Leave Act? (Article 16, Section 6). If so you can take time off for a Doctor's appointment, although the Company may ask for you to have your doctor fill out a form, just to annoy you.

theres going to be alot of people off that day, one other has a personal and 3 are on vacation.... i will probably just reschedule my appt.....