Denied personal day

bluehdmc

I just made an appt with a doctor myself. First one available July 1st. If it takes one month to get an appt, I'd call in sick if the alternative was to reschedule and wait another month.
Hey tieguy, I didn't see anyone mention a Friday call out except you. The original poster had a legitimate reason to request a day off. Sometimes it seems the automatic reaction from management when you request something like a personal day is deny. (sorta like Grisham's insurance company in rainmaker).
If you call in an hour ahead of time there's not much they can do. Unfortunately deception seems to work best. We all know management is NEVER decietful.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Personal days are just like vacations they go by seniority.
Let me get this straight. I put in for a personal day for 6/12. When I signed up there were 2 others on the list and was told by my on-car that all he could let off that day was 3 so I was all set. Are saying that a higher seniority driver who still has days left could bump anyone on that list with less seniority than he has? Doesn't work that way here and, to be honest, I don't find that to be very fair. Vacations--yes. Personal/sick days--no.

Yes, as long as it's done 8 days in advance. Thats the rule here.

The rule here for personal option day is 7 days. If you want to be off next Thursday, you have to have your request form in by today.
Of course they only use that rule half the time, as they see fit.

thessalonian13

I signed up for a personal day next week and was denied... i need that day off.. what should i do? call in sick?
Call in sick.... 3 times this year I asked for a day off, 3 weeks in advance and all 3 times my center manager said the same thing.. "You can't have it.... I don't have enough coverage" I thought volume is down and drivers are being sent home or sent back to the hub to get their 8 hours... how can he not have enough coverage?!

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
How funny that guys don't know the rules and are afraid of a call off. I don't owe ups anymore and if I have something and try to get the day and am denied, I just call off. The only retaliation is working eleven hours which I am doing now when I work. By the way, don't be afraid or feel guilty. We all have a life outside of this wonderful company......…

P.s. Maybe you could call some of the guys on vacation, I hear that some on this board will work thru all of them............lololololololololololololopolololololololol

NI1

Call in!

You gave them the courtesy by asking for that day ahead of time. If you have a history of calling in, then I would not do it. But if you show up to work everytime and if you really need that day, CALL IN.

Where I am from you are allowed 3 'infractions' in 3 months. So to beat that just call in every other month :)

buni g

don't call in the day of your appointment call in the day before and take 2 days.

I once asked for a day off for dentist appt (4 days notice) DENIED:surprise:, no reason for it only 1 drvr off when they allow for 3. This is exactly what i did, called off day before and day of. I'd rather be legit but if thats how they're gonna be what can a person do. Oh, guess i should say, the reason they gave was contract states 7 days notice, but the next sentence in contract says no request will be UNREASONABLY be denied.:peaceful:

upsman68

I gave a note on May 25th to be off today June 5th they said no. I just called in and my supervisor said "we will just cut your car out today". I guess that was trying to make me feel bad for my fellow workers. I just hung up and laughed. This is my first call-in in two years. The union business agent told me to do it this way.

I have option 3. We have these days but they never let us use them when we really need them only when its is convenient for them. Sometimes they say come on in and we will try to let you off. I come in and then someone else calls in and I end up working. Can't make plans that way.
I am tired of trying to work with them and I keep getting denied. So I called in.