difference from last peak to this.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
You sure about that? In package you get bumped down to a lower pay table if you bump into the sorts if your a ft driver still in progression.
Anytime (in the CR) you elect to bump inside as a ft driver you get what would be your rate of pay for that job for your years of service.

Slave wages huh. When I started working one of my checks for a week was 36 cents after union dues were taken out.

I could buy a few things with it too

And that's terrific for you. I'm glad you were able to make that work. I have a wife and 2 kids to support. One of my kids is an elite athlete which costs hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars every month. I'd sell my organs to not interrupt her pursuing her goals in that area. I also have a Mortgage(2 actually). So $.36 a week won't cut it for me. Neither, frankly will $400. I don't think they pay enough for how hard that work is so I will not do it. I don't think anyone should have to work that hard for that little these days.

You would be working inside at your same feeder rate of pay, knucklehead.

Not so. Or at least not so as I was informed by my managers. You move inside or to whatever other position you do so at the rate for that job in the same position of scale on which you are in your ordinary job.

Good luck joe. You make a bad name for converted workers. As someone else mentioned, inside rate may be 5 times lower , but that’s the norm. Welcome to the new normal.

Basically You’re the worst type of worker. So many go into preload with an expected drive date some 5-7 years in the future. You’re a spoiled rotten new bred worker. You suck.

Why am I the worst type of worker? Because you're bitter that you had to suffer more to get to the same place? I'm not spoiled. Nor am I a "new bred worker" whatever the :censored2: that is. I haven't worked for less than $20 an hour since 1996. The fact that I value myself and my work and have a certain standard of what I think is worth working for doesn't make me a bad worker. Taking the layoff and the gamble of maybe getting called while working on my own to ensure that I meet the financial threshold in order to cover my family's budget makes me a bad worker? I'm not complaining about the rate they pay for inside work. I'm just not going to participate. Both because I think the workload warrants more compensation and because I can't just make $400 a week.

I don't deny that I was EXTREMELY lucky to get into my position how and when I did. It was just a confluence of events in my family's life that allowed for a career change for me. I was very lucky to get to be a feeder driver the way that I did. But the important takeaway from that sentence "Brother" is that I DID become a feeder driver and a teamster. Your opinion of how it happened means less than half of one :censored2: to me. Frankly as I understand it, it shouldn't matter to you either because I am a Teamster and this is a brotherhood right?

Just make sure you get enough hours in so you don't lose a year of pension credit. You wouldn't be the first person ready to retire that got told "sorry - in 19?? you didn't get enough hours to earn a years pension credit." Then you get to work another year.

Thank you. I never even considered that. Do you know off the top of your head what that average is?

Heavy Package

If anyone actually feels like addressing my question that’d be great.

I'll answer your question with the reality of working at UPS...

You need to go on the website and / or talk with HR and verify your actual employment status. If you are classified by verifying with HR that you are indeed a FT employee, then call / talk to your direct supervisor and say you want your guarantee for the week. 8-hrs each day. If they tell you that you are on layoff, then tell them you still want your guarantee and they will have to bump someone lower in seniority than you - even if, God forbid, that means you will have to double-shift inside the building. You will still make your normal rate of pay and get 40-hrs a week once you demand it.

If they give you a hard time / say no, repeat what I just said to do with a shop steward with you. File a grievance if needed.

To be honest, you sound like an entitled biach to me. But at least I am giving you a straight answer.

I'll answer your question with the reality of working at UPS...

You need to go on the website and / or talk with HR and verify your actual employment status. If you are classified by verifying with HR that you are indeed a FT employee, then call / talk to your direct supervisor and say you want your guarantee for the week. 8-hrs each day. If they tell you that you are on layoff, then tell them you still want your guarantee and they will have to bump someone lower in seniority than you - even if, God forbid, that means you will have to double-shift inside the building. You will still make your normal rate of pay and get 40-hrs a week once you demand it.

If they give you a hard time / say no, repeat what I just said to do with a shop steward with you. File a grievance if needed.

To be honest, you sound like an entitled biach to me. But at least I am giving you a straight answer.

What sounds entitled? I'm not saying whaaa i can't get my hours I'm mad. I'm saying I won't work inside for what they pay. . . Because I can do other things for MUCH more money and take the chance that I may get a run. I'm not even mad about it. I'm curious about how long the slow season is though. I'm not saying whaaa I deserve my grantee without doing any work. I AM saying that If I'm not driving and a contractor is then there is a problem.

What is difficult to understand about this?

I never said it's not fair that I have to go work inside to get my hours.
I never said I should get paid my guarantee even if I don't work.
I never said I am not lucky to have managed to get into the spot in which i find myself.

I did say, If I have to go inside to get hours guaranteed I'll pass and do my own thing and maybe get a run if I'm lucky. I did not complain about this.
I did say, Is it possible that contractors are still running while actual cover list guys are either not working or taking inside bids?
I did say, Luck or not I'm just as much a teamster as you :censored2:s and this is supposed to be a brotherhood so :censored2:ing act like it.

Honestly. quote the part of my original question that is whiny, entitled, whatever.

Unless your problem is that I got in easier than you did and you're mad because that's not fair.

Let me clarify some things since my wife has enlightened me about interpretation of what I said how I said.

I know I’m very lucky to have gotten in how I did. I know that some of you had to suffer through hard times to get to this same spot. I worked very hard in an industry that is cutthroat and difficult to navigate due to rampant drug use and questionable ethics for 26 years. 99% of people in that industry either die in the same position they started in or leave the business altogether. Very few manage to advance to anything resembling a career. There were years when I’ve made 3,600 in the entire year(which led to my ability to make something on the side). So I paid my dues, I just paid them somewhere else.

I’m not saying I’m better than a $400 a week job. I’m saying I’m at a place in my life where that isn’t enough. I know that I’m lucky to be at that place in my life where I have those financial “burdens”. And since I’m able to make enough on my own I’m willing to take my chances. I’m also saying that in my opinion that work deserves more compensation.

my only questions are:
Did the peak runs go to contractors? If so is that fair to newer guys who were even less lucky than I and didn’t get a peak bid at all?

how long is the post peak slow season?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Let me clarify some things since my wife has enlightened me about interpretation of what I said how I said.

I know I’m very lucky to have gotten in how I did. I know that some of you had to suffer through hard times to get to this same spot. I worked very hard in an industry that is cutthroat and difficult to navigate due to rampant drug use and questionable ethics for 26 years. 99% of people in that industry either die in the same position they started in or leave the business altogether. Very few manage to advance to anything resembling a career. There were years when I’ve made 3,600 in the entire year(which led to my ability to make something on the side). So I paid my dues, I just paid them somewhere else.

I’m not saying I’m better than a $400 a week job. I’m saying I’m at a place in my life where that isn’t enough. I know that I’m lucky to be at that place in my life where I have those financial “burdens”. And since I’m able to make enough on my own I’m willing to take my chances. I’m also saying that in my opinion that work deserves more compensation.

With this group of drivers.... coming off the street and complaining, is a bitter

pill to swallow and these people will unload on you for doing so. They don't care

what you did in life prior to being hired as a seasonal.

my only questions are:
Did the peak runs go to contractors?

No, they sure as hell shouldn't be.

If so is that fair to newer guys who were even less lucky than I and didn’t get a peak bid at all?

Go over to the building you worked out of and do an observation, looking for brokers.

It's all going to depend on the location.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

my only questions are:
Did the peak runs go to contractors? If so is that fair to newer guys who were even less lucky than I and didn’t get a peak bid at all?

So, quit whining go do your job that you can make more than $400 a week and wait for a phone call

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
And that's terrific for you. I'm glad you were able to make that work. I have a wife and 2 kids to support. One of my kids is an elite athlete which costs hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars every month. I'd sell my organs to not interrupt her pursuing her goals in that area. I also have a Mortgage(2 actually). So $.36 a week won't cut it for me. Neither, frankly will $400. I don't think they pay enough for how hard that work is so I will not do it. I don't think anyone should have to work that hard for that little these days.

Not so. Or at least not so as I was informed by my managers. You move inside or to whatever other position you do so at the rate for that job in the same position of scale on which you are in your ordinary job.

Why am I the worst type of worker? Because you're bitter that you had to suffer more to get to the same place? I'm not spoiled. Nor am I a "new bred worker" whatever the :censored2: that is. I haven't worked for less than $20 an hour since 1996. The fact that I value myself and my work and have a certain standard of what I think is worth working for doesn't make me a bad worker. Taking the layoff and the gamble of maybe getting called while working on my own to ensure that I meet the financial threshold in order to cover my family's budget makes me a bad worker? I'm not complaining about the rate they pay for inside work. I'm just not going to participate. Both because I think the workload warrants more compensation and because I can't just make $400 a week.

I don't deny that I was EXTREMELY lucky to get into my position how and when I did. It was just a confluence of events in my family's life that allowed for a career change for me. I was very lucky to get to be a feeder driver the way that I did. But the important takeaway from that sentence "Brother" is that I DID become a feeder driver and a teamster. Your opinion of how it happened means less than half of one :censored2: to me. Frankly as I understand it, it shouldn't matter to you either because I am a Teamster and this is a brotherhood right?

Thank you. I never even considered that. Do you know off the top of your head what that average is?
1801 hours

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
I worked very hard in an industry that is cutthroat and difficult to navigate due to rampant drug use and questionable ethics for 26 years. 99% of people in that industry either die in the same position they started in or leave the business altogether. Very few manage to advance to anything resembling a career.
Sounds just like the place you work now except describing management.

Honestly no one cares where people off the street come from. They're just off the street hired into a full time job and many part timers in hubs would have loved to have jumped ahead but the chances of that happening is 16.67 out of 100.

In other words, years of waiting.

Air Recovery

What sounds entitled? I'm not saying whaaa i can't get my hours I'm mad. I'm saying I won't work inside for what they pay. . . Because I can do other things for MUCH more money and take the chance that I may get a run. I'm not even mad about it. I'm curious about how long the slow season is though. I'm not saying whaaa I deserve my grantee without doing any work. I AM saying that If I'm not driving and a contractor is then there is a problem.

What is difficult to understand about this?

I never said it's not fair that I have to go work inside to get my hours.
I never said I should get paid my guarantee even if I don't work.
I never said I am not lucky to have managed to get into the spot in which i find myself.

I did say, If I have to go inside to get hours guaranteed I'll pass and do my own thing and maybe get a run if I'm lucky. I did not complain about this.
I did say, Is it possible that contractors are still running while actual cover list guys are either not working or taking inside bids?
I did say, Luck or not I'm just as much a teamster as you :censored2:s and this is supposed to be a brotherhood so :censored2:ing act like it.

What sport? Sounds like what I used to coach.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I’m not going to go bust my ass working for slave wages inside when I can make 5 times as much busting my ass on my own side work. I’ll take the week lay-off with the chance to get called once over clearing what $400? for the week given I’m in year 1 of the 4 year progression. And if I don’t get called and I need to use my insurance I’ll pay the $400 for cobra. I’m not above loading trucks I’m just not gonna do it for what they pay for it. If anyone actually feels like addressing my question that’d be great.
There are many here ,, who have busted their ass for “slave wages” for many years , then moved up to package car for many years before getting a shot at feeders , and when they got into feeders , they had to shift a hell of a lot , doing crappy hours ,, stop your crying you entitled whiney baby ,,, nobody is forcing you to stay here !!! Go work inside or do package car for a year or so , you’ll appreciate your feeder job a hell of a lot more !! Jeezuz Christ I’m sick of your type !!!!