Do we deserve $32+/hour

balland chain

Some feeders drivers who have a mileage run or are team drivers make close to 48.00 per hour depending on the run... Our mileage guys work aprox 9.5 hours a day and make over 100 K.. The company makes the money, expects us to put up with the daily stress of the job, and they are making it worse every day. WE deserve the money we make simply because of the physical and mental aspects of our jobs there..

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I always hear the argument that we're paid better than teachers, engineers, some doctors, and construction workers. But here's what we actually are and what we do...We're walking advertisements...we are the face of the company...we deliver time sensitive documents, parts, and medicines...if we don't deliver our packages on time, people don't work...we keep the country running. If we weren't there, someone else would pick up the slack I'm sure...but they wouldn't do it as well as we do it. When we get to retirement time, our bodies (for a lot of us anyways) are broken down. Most of us have had at least one surgery. A lot have to replace a knee or a hip...both. We have put up with traffic, some of us have guns pulled on us, vicious dogs, ugly naked women/men, sweaty ass summers, and frigid icy winters. We retire at 58-65 but reality for our bodies is probably closer to 70-75...management have a conference call/emails causing them ulcers and stress...we have families that depend on us and our income...some of us have had to endure the pain of our job wearing at their relationships and marriage until they're gone...yet most of us pick up the pieces and put on our game faces and do our jobs. Most of us love our jobs, some of us put up with it, others don't appreciate what they have, and still others just aren't cut out for the job. It's a hard job. Yes we are lucky to have the good stuff...yes it sucks to have the bad stuff...kind of like life. The outside world is ignorant of how they get their stuff and like most ignorant people, think we're overpaid and greedy. I'm proud to work with the fellas at UPS. I'm proud to be part of a community of drivers and warehouse workers the world over that can hump cardboard like no one else. We deserve every penny and more as far as those of us in the know are concerned.

S

serenity now

what he said.....

and if i hump cardboard long enough, maybe a happy ending

cino321

32.20 is our current rate around here. But look at our cost of living. I think I deserve $45.00 an hour lol.

kingOFchester

Are we overpaid, or are others underpaid in their respective careers?

I do not think we are overpaid. However, I do feel that others should make more then they do. To support a family the wages for a lot of people need to be raised.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

While there is no denying the physical nature and amount of stress that we deal with on a daily basis, we must keep in mind that ours is a job which requires only a driver's license and HS diploma. Yes, we are overpaid----I think a more appropriate wage would be closer to $25/hr.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
While there is no denying the physical nature and amount of stress that we deal with on a daily basis, we must keep in mind that ours is a job which requires only a driver's license and HS diploma. Yes, we are overpaid----I think a more appropriate wage would be closer to $25/hr.
I would be more than happy to help you out. Send me a weekly check for $8.49 for all hours worked. Will invest it wisely in my sons 529.:happy-very:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would be more than happy to help you out. Send me a weekly check for $8.49 for all hours worked. Will invest it wisely in my sons 529.:happy-very:

Mock me all you want but it is still my opinion that we will see a two-tiered wage structure, with a lower start out/top out and longer progression, for new FT hires, if not in 2013 then certainly in 2020.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I believe the better question would be... Why doesn't every other hard days work deserve $32+/ hr? We are fortunate to be a part of such a good paying job in such a diminishing middle class world we live in. Be proud of that. And yes it's earned, every penny, part-time or full!
IMO every other hard work does not work for a company that made billions. That's why we make the big bucks. We, and those before us, have made UPS what it is.

S

serenity now

i just recommended tooner for a merit raise in addition to the $32 per hour :wink2:

watch for that next check, girl

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

Honestly, since I worked preload for 6 1/2 years getting up at 3am daily. I agree, YOU are overpaid !

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Honestly, since I worked preload for 6 1/2 years getting up at 3am daily. I agree, YOU are overpaid !

This past Peak I had a kid in his young 20's as my helper. Within the first hour he was delivering residentials on his own and by the end of the day he was delivering commercials on his own. By the end of the 2nd day he was delivering stops within a medical office complex by himself and by the end of the first week he was doing multiple left-ats. I would have felt comfortable with him delivering CODs and sheeting call tags as well. He was doing all this for the grand total of $9/hr. Are you saying that I was working $23/hr harder than this kid?

$25/hr and profit sharing.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The OP asked if we felt that we deserve $32/hr and I gave an honest answer---no, I think that we are overpaid at $32/hr and that a more reasonable wage would be $25/hr with profit sharing.

Big Babooba

This past Peak I had a kid in his young 20's as my helper. Within the first hour he was delivering residentials on his own and by the end of the day he was delivering commercials on his own. By the end of the 2nd day he was delivering stops within a medical office complex by himself and by the end of the first week he was doing multiple left-ats. I would have felt comfortable with him delivering CODs and sheeting call tags as well. He was doing all this for the grand total of $9/hr. Are you saying that I was working $23/hr harder than this kid?

$25/hr and profit sharing.

If the kid goofs up -whose ass gets grilled for it?
If the kid gets hurt - whose ass gets grilled for it?
If the kid doesn't produce the numbers - whose ass gets grilled for it?
You are basically his dispatcher
You are responsible for your vehicle and its safe operation.
Your responsibilities were worth $23/hr more.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
There is no objective universal standard for compensation, ultimately your labor is worth whatever someone is willing to pay you for it. If UPS is willing to pay us $32+/hour then that's what our labor is worth to them. We deserve it because we negotiated a contract for it.