Do we deserve $32+/hour

purplesky

This past Peak I had a kid in his young 20's as my helper. Within the first hour he was delivering residentials on his own and by the end of the day he was delivering commercials on his own. By the end of the 2nd day he was delivering stops within a medical office complex by himself and by the end of the first week he was doing multiple left-ats. I would have felt comfortable with him delivering CODs and sheeting call tags as well. He was doing all this for the grand total of $9/hr. Are you saying that I was working $23/hr harder than this kid?

$25/hr and profit sharing.

The difference Upstate is THAT YOU HAVE DEDICATED YOUR LIFE TO UPS. THE KID DID NOT AND HE IS JUST A HELPER. If the kid wants a career as an UPSER than the kid can seek fulltime work at UPS.

The kid will work part time for about 12 years working crap hours for very little pay. HE WILL PAY HIS DUES LIKE MOST UPSERS DO TO GET $32hr AND LIVE THE UPS DRIVER DREAM(cough cough).

Upstate you say you have been in package for about 24 years? DUDE $32.00hr for 24 years of back breaking service seems fair. You have GIVEN YOUR LIFE TO UPS so go take a look in the mirror AND SHOUT I AM THE GREAT UPSTATE(who is probably a TROLL) AND I AM WORTH $67,000 a year. :wink2:

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Wouldn't a lower hourly wage and profit sharing serve the same purpose?

I can't see it. My bosses would rather cut off their own hands then give us a profit sharing check. They act like we're stealing their kitty when we're .5 over. No way can I see UPS giving us profit sharing, like Ford.

That would mean they would have to openly admit that we are making them money. Never gonna happen.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
This past Peak I had a kid in his young 20's as my helper. Within the first hour he was delivering residentials on his own and by the end of the day he was delivering commercials on his own. By the end of the 2nd day he was delivering stops within a medical office complex by himself and by the end of the first week he was doing multiple left-ats. I would have felt comfortable with him delivering CODs and sheeting call tags as well. He was doing all this for the grand total of $9/hr. Are you saying that I was working $23/hr harder than this kid?

$25/hr and profit sharing.

Without a doubt, a driver has at LEAST $23 an hour more responsibility than a helper, no matter how hard he or she works. The one with the keys makes all of the decisions. A CPA could train someone good with numbers to do some of the same forms an accountant could do. Does that make them worth the same amount of money as the CPA? Not comparing CPA's with ups drivers, but it's the same concept. At the end of the day, one person is the gatekeeper, and is paid as such.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The difference Upstate is THAT YOU HAVE DEDICATED YOUR LIFE TO UPS. THE KID DID NOT AND HE IS JUST A HELPER. If the kid wants a career as an UPSER than the kid can seek fulltime work at UPS.

The kid will work part time for about 12 years working crap hours for very little pay. HE WILL PAY HIS DUES LIKE MOST UPSERS DO TO GET $32hr AND LIVE THE UPS DRIVER DREAM(cough cough).

Upstate you say you have been in package for about 24 years? DUDE $32.00hr for 24 years of back breaking service seems fair. You have GIVEN YOUR LIFE TO UPS so go take a look in the mirror AND SHOUT I AM THE GREAT UPSTATE(who is probably a TROLL) AND I AM WORTH $67,000 a year. :wink2:

Actually he was asked to come back in March and couldn't because of school---he will be starting in the summer.

TUT

I say absolutely yes! Fed-Ex makes a comparable wage and look what they do! Their trucks are empty and I'm delivering 350-400/day. Fed-Ex Ground is doing half that and in 4 times the area.

UPS is bigger than Fedex, but nowhere near the picture you are painting.

I say you are worth $32 an hour, because people deserve to be compensated. Raise a strong family and have a little extra to vacation on. Why? Because it's a damn fine ideal. You are giving the world something it needs, you get back a fair life in return. We are all in this together, owner to custodian, each rank above another does deserve more, not 10 for me, 1 for you.

stink219

While there is no denying the physical nature and amount of stress that we deal with on a daily basis, we must keep in mind that ours is a job which requires only a driver's license and HS diploma. Yes, we are overpaid----I think a more appropriate wage would be closer to $25/hr.
So fork over the extra 7 bucks!!!

S

serenity now

Dave,

i've noticed that you have a unique talent for bringing out the worst in people *

S

serenity now

It's a gift.

Actually I am baffled---I have no idea what Ovah's problem is.

why do you assume Over has the problem?
if there is often friction between you and a diverse cross section of other posters, look for the common denominator

Last edited by a moderator: