Documenting delays

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
What a good job by you guys. I think it's great. I like the dock full column. That 's one that happens quite frequently to me which usually does cause a big delay.

I think as far a management is concercned, I don't think you have to show anything to them. If they are leading an investigatory interview directing questions at you, you have the right to recall the information anyway you can. If they know you are keeping track of stuff like this, they may not pull you in office as much. Those are BS sessions anyways. They really don't want to know, they just want you to go faster.

Most of the time, the center-level management puppets are well aware of the fact that (a) the drivers methods are acceptable and (b) the time allowance for the route in question is not fair. None of that matters, however; their own jobs depend upon making the numbers look better by any means necessary. The OJS's and harassment are just another way to try and get as many of their drivers as possible to work through their lunches and breaks in order to meet the imposssible "standards". If your methods are good and you document every delay and make it clear to them that you are not going to cave in to their pressure, they will usually quit wasting time on you and seek an easier target. They are like a pack of hyenas; they go after the weak and injured and leave the strong alone.

hypocrisy

Banned
Great idea and something I did myself for all of my years as a package driver. I just used the blank backside of the delivery notice pack to record significant delays, and just got a new pack each day. Even in Feeders I keep track of delays and missteps by dispatch like TO'ing me to somewhere and back.

Of course, they did try to say I couldn't keep notes when I was called into the office. However, that didn't last.
"Crowbar, why did you take so long between X and XX stop?"
<furrowed brow, counting to 30 slowly in my head>
"Well gee Mr. Mgr, I can't recall"
"Crowbar what about this time at XXX?"
<turns to steward>
"Lets take a caucus and discuss it"
<we go out and bull:censored2: while he has a smoke>
"Mr. Mgr, I've racked my brains but I just can't recall. Perhaps if I was allowed to take those crib notes again I could provide more insight."
"Get back on road!"

"I don't recall" should be your favorite phrase. Learn from Ronnie. It's not that you are refusing to provide the answer, it's just at this particular time you cannot answer with any certitude :) because your memory is not clear and would rather not provide misleading or incorrect answers. Perhaps it will become clear at a later date.

hypocrisy

Banned
You could also abbreviate:
WFCS: wait for customer, signature
WFSCOD: wait for customer COD
TD: traffic delay
GD: guard delay
INDR: indirect resi
INDC: indirect commercial
3AM: 3rd floor apt, multiple trip
ED: elevator delay
SC: shop call
O70: over 70

kingOFchester

I like to send messages thru the diad.
If I think I may have late air's, I let sup know before I leave. I then send a message thru DIAD just before I leave center stating I may have late Air's.
If I am having problems with the load, I send a message stating that the load is horrible and having problems finding packages.
If a dock is occupied and I am loaded down the center with bulk, message to center.

I like the paper for the pocket to add some of the smaller delays, but nothing is better then sending a message thru the DIAD. Saves time later having to go in the office and explain some of the bigger problems. One time I told sup I may have late NDA's. Was told "you can do it". Had late air, called into office and questioned about it......now I try to Cover my backend by sending the message to center via DIAD.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I like to send messages thru the diad.
If I think I may have late air's, I let sup know before I leave. I then send a message thru DIAD just before I leave center stating I may have late Air's.
If I am having problems with the load, I send a message stating that the load is horrible and having problems finding packages.
If a dock is occupied and I am loaded down the center with bulk, message to center.

I like the paper for the pocket to add some of the smaller delays, but nothing is better then sending a message thru the DIAD. Saves time later having to go in the office and explain some of the bigger problems. One time I told sup I may have late NDA's. Was told "you can do it". Had late air, called into office and questioned about it......now I try to Cover my backend by sending the message to center via DIAD.

You should get a copy of that at the end of the night.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
With the company's new push for production, it is more important than ever for us as drivers to keep some sort of a daily log where we document the quality of the load as well as any issues or problems that cost us time. When we get called into the office over a production issue, our management is going to have a clipboard with stacks of Telematics reports and OJS observations and notes, and we need to have our own "stack" of paper so that we can answer specific questions about any delays we might have encountered on a specific day.

I am a big fan of simple. So I designed a "delay card" that, when folded in half, is about the same size as a pad of delivery notices. On this card I put 14 very common delays that every driver tends to encounter, along with 3 columns (8:00AM-noon, noon-4:00, 4:00 and later) where we can count the number of times that particular delay occured using tally strokes. We can make a stroke count while standing at a door, walking back to the car, or sitting in traffic. At the end of the day, we can make whatever notes we want to about overall load condition, miles driven, hours worked etc. on the back side of the card.

The list of delays is by no means complete, and each driver could tailor their own card to the specifics of their route. And I made this card using a ruler and a pencil; a better way to do it would be to make some sort of a spread sheet using Excel, but I lack the necessary computer skills. The size of the card means that you could fit two of them on a single piece of 8x11 copy paper and then cut each sheet in half to make two cards. I have included a picture of the one I made; I also had my wife scan it at her work but scanning creates a file that is too large to upload onto Brown Cafe so my cell-phone pic will have to do. I showed this card to my BA at a recent meeting and he is having a bunch of them printed up on card stock with union letterhead.

I suggest that every driver do this. Its a quick, easy, no-delay method of documenting your day that fits in a shirt pocket. If they are going to call you in the office and shove paper at you, its nice to have some paper of your own to shove back with.

So let me get this straight, "this is a no delay method of documenting your day" and someone suggested that you do it while at a stop light or walking back to your truck. Your kidding right? I am sure the cute picture of the dogs wanting a treat was not delaying your day at all, did not see it on your documentation either. All that "time" at the stoplight and walking back to the truck belongs to UPS. Your lunch and break are yours. If I need to elaborate you do not know the methods and need to brush up on your S&V ride. In past posts the conversation has been they need to pay me to learn the safety "stuff" well guess what you could be doing with all that free time at the stop lights and walking back to the truck.

You are wasting your time, these are normal delays you expierence everyday on your route, it does not give you a free ticket to do whatever you want and get done when ever you want. How can I say that? Well every time we do a 1,2 or 3 day OJS on your route those same delays are experienced and we still manage to reduce your day. Gee I wonder how that could happen. If you are truly delayed then just tell your supervisor if asked. We have the right to ask you why you where delayed based off of Telematics. No different then being supervised in the building and we ask you what took so long.

So love it or hate it, telematics is here to stay and will be used to monitor your day.

All of you do yourself a favor - spend more time doing the job instead of figuring out ways not to do the job.

I'm done...

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
...I'm done...
Good! We put up with your supervisor/puppet bs 5 days a week and don't want to be bothered with it on weekends and evenings also. Let us vent and stay the heck out of our forums. If you treated us with the respect we deserve, then there wouldn't be a need for this documentation!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
This mindset is all well and good,but I think it's being over thought and or over executed.
My thinking is that the DIAD, the instrument provided by the company to record our movements, has the capability to document these random delays and anomalies.
The remarks column for every delivery stop provides us an avenue to note these occurrences.
In my mind this is a far better way to record these incidences and much easier to justify timewise verses a pocket journal.
As I see it, the company is striving to document our day with increasing technology, let's help them within their framework.

Where I'll warn all who chose to take this path, do so with complete accuracy.
Anything outside the truth in the face of being observed by management, will be treated as dishonesty and rightfully so.

tourists24

So let me get this straight, "this is a no delay method of documenting your day" and someone suggested that you do it while at a stop light or walking back to your truck. Your kidding right? I am sure the cute picture of the dogs wanting a treat was not delaying your day at all, did not see it on your documentation either. All that "time" at the stoplight and walking back to the truck belongs to UPS. Your lunch and break are yours. If I need to elaborate you do not know the methods and need to brush up on your S&V ride. In past posts the conversation has been they need to pay me to learn the safety "stuff" well guess what you could be doing with all that free time at the stop lights and walking back to the truck.

You are wasting your time, these are normal delays you expierence everyday on your route, it does not give you a free ticket to do whatever you want and get done when ever you want. How can I say that? Well every time we do a 1,2 or 3 day OJS on your route those same delays are experienced and we still manage to reduce your day. Gee I wonder how that could happen. If you are truly delayed then just tell your supervisor if asked. We have the right to ask you why you where delayed based off of Telematics. No different then being supervised in the building and we ask you what took so long.

So love it or hate it, telematics is here to stay and will be used to monitor your day.

All of you do yourself a favor - spend more time doing the job instead of figuring out ways not to do the job.

I'm done...
We cant help it Dragon, its what us lazy drivers do best... We look for any way out of doing work

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You are wasting your time, these are normal delays you expierence everyday on your route, it does not give you a free ticket to do whatever you want and get done when ever you want. How can I say that? Well every time we do a 1,2 or 3 day OJS on your route those same delays are experienced and we still manage to reduce your day. Gee I wonder how that could happen.

Thre is a driver in my local who was given a "3 day ride" and told that he had to maintain the performance demonstrated during those rides.

It was documented that his preloader was instructed by management to remove all irregs and all over 70's from the car during those three days. In addition, it has been documented that management intentionally removed several apartment complexes from the route during those three days. And, as usual, the load itself was "massaged" by a preload supervisor prior to the drivers start time. You know the routine...bulk stops organized, packages loaded perfectly in stop-for stop order, no misloads or missing pkgs, etc.

You guys arent trying to get a "fair days work from a fair days pay" out of us. You are trying to rip us off. Your allowances are intentionally rigged, and your entire business plan revolves around how many drivers you can screw out of their lunches and breaks thru intimidation, harassment, and selective "cherry picking" OJS rides in order to squeeze a few extra bucks out of your MIP bonus.

You created the work enviornment. So dont get your panties in a knot when we use the same documentation methods that you employ in order to protect ourselves.

browned out

Thre is a driver in my local who was given a "3 day ride" and told that he had to maintain the performance demonstrated during those rides.

It was documented that his preloader was instructed by management to remove all irregs and all over 70's from the car during those three days. In addition, it has been documented that management intentionally removed several apartment complexes from the route during those three days. And, as usual, the load itself was "massaged" by a preload supervisor prior to the drivers start time. You know the routine...bulk stops organized, packages loaded perfectly in stop-for stop order, no misloads or missing pkgs, etc.

You guys arent trying to get a "fair days work from a fair days pay" out of us. You are trying to rip us off. Your allowances are intentionally rigged, and your entire business plan revolves around how many drivers you can screw out of their lunches and breaks thru intimidation, harassment, and selective "cherry picking" OJS rides in order to squeeze a few extra bucks out of your MIP bonus.

You created the work enviornment. So dont get your panties in a knot when we use the same documentation methods that you employ in order to protect ourselves.

+1 I had a 3 day ride and my nda air stops averaged 5 stops per day. I looked thru my records and my average for the year is about 10 per day. The usual air is in two different loops. On 3 day all air in same loop and able to do in trace. Stops per hour are going to be higher when you don't have to break off and do air or go back 6 or so miles to the front end of your rte because you could not finish it because of air. I also was directed to remain in a sub and keep delivering resulting in missing 50% of my pu compliance and pu 1 stop at close and 1 stop 1 minute after they closed.

I looked thru my records and on the 3 days this year that were similiar to the 3 day ride day; i made the same or better numbers.

So that is how the day is reduced.

satellitedriver

Well every time we do a 1,2 or 3 day OJS on your route those same delays are experienced and we still manage to reduce your day. Gee I wonder how that could happen.
It never has happened on my route in 25yrs.

Monitor, Yes.
Improve my performance, No.
In fact, my SPORH was actually lower when I had my OJS rides and the sup's has never been able to find more than 3 flaws in my work habits during the entire day.
-(Yes, I know they need to point out at least 7 flaws on their report to satisfy Corp.)-

This is the mindset that just make my brain spin inside my skull.
I'm done...
I'm done when the load is delivered and the car is back safely at the center.
My day is done by physical action and application, not words spoken to me.
After 25yrs driving and being an old 58yr fart, I can say to you, and all your kith and kind,
try and do what I do on a daily basis.
Yes, that is an open challenge.
Corp may be able to telematic me, but they can not teleport packages.
Maybe, the generation running this company watched too much Star Trek episodes in their youth.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel

You are wasting your time, these are normal delays you expierence everyday on your route, it does not give you a free ticket to do whatever you want and get done when ever you want.

I don't see that anyone here has even hinted that they wanted a free ticket to do what they want when they want. Most of us simply want to do our jobs sans harassment and get home safely.

How can I say that? Well every time we do a 1,2 or 3 day OJS on your route those same delays are experienced and we still manage to reduce your day. Gee I wonder how that could happen. If you are truly delayed then just tell your supervisor if asked. We have the right to ask you why you where delayed based off of Telematics. No different then being supervised in the building and we ask you what took so long.

I'm done...

The biggest thing that ticks me off with so many of you management ppl is your faulty assertion that we, not the company, are the one's trying to get one over on you. The drivers I know give a fair day's work and then some in return for pay, not disrespect based on your sick, faulty assumptions of our integrity and harassment based on the company's purposefully misconstrued numbers. We have every right to protect ourselves from this treatment.

You're done, alright. Not an ounce of heart left in ya.

To my hourly pals: I suggest you do your best to document your work day on your own time. They are out for blood.