Does anybody else find it humorous...

rod

Retired 22 years
How about if you were good friends with the rural mail carrier and he would gladly take few stops off of you if you needed to get off early? I won't mention any names on who did that a few times.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
How about if you were good friends with the rural mail carrier and he would gladly take few stops off of you if you needed to get off early? I won't mention any names on who did that a few times.

What happens up in the woods stays up in the woods....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think UPS should develop a post box system. Should put them at customers long driveways. Save tons of time, and in bad weather would prevent ECs or getting stuck if you happened to go down it. I love customers that have a package box.

Many rural drivers get their customers to set up such boxes at the end of their driveways.

Ouch

e="Rubber Puckies, post: 1254098, member: 51619"]Half mile?! I'm just a temp driver but my on car sup trained me to go in any driveway that looked "long" or the house was out of sight. Heck even if we needed to do a direction change we would go in short ones.[/quote]
Thats great but I drove up and around the hill one night during peak and their were several cars parked in the turnaround and they were not home to get them to jockey cars around. I didn't want to back down the drive in the daytime much less after dark. Straight down on one side. It would have been days before anyone found you. Lol.

JL 0513

The way it works is;
The customer owns the mailbox and must maintain it, the Postal Service owns the air space within the box, by Federal decree.
There is a fine of $300 for any non-postal person placing anything into the mailbox.

I guess the people I see driving around putting business solicitations in every mailbox aren't aware of this.

Never knew that we couldn't deliver packages into mailboxes.

I hope you haven't been. You can be fired.

Back first

Have you ever blocked a mailbox to make a delivery, only to find the mailman fuming because they had to get out of their truck. He wanted to report me to the police. Good luck buddy,

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Umm, we never met, did we?

Waayy back, I had a stop at the end of a 7 mile dirt road. Only place on the road. Every time I saw the mail carrier in the morning, he'd flag me down to bum a smoke or two from me. Then he asked if I had anything for that stop and if I did he'd take it for me.

Rubber Puckies

e="Rubber Puckies, post: 1254098, member: 51619"]Half mile?! I'm just a temp driver but my on car sup trained me to go in any driveway that looked "long" or the house was out of sight. Heck even if we needed to do a direction change we would go in short ones.
Thats great but I drove up and around the hill one night during peak and their were several cars parked in the turnaround and they were not home to get them to jockey cars around. I didn't want to back down the drive in the daytime much less after dark. Straight down on one side. It would have been days before anyone found you. Lol.[/quote]

Good thing I'm just a temp lol. Completely expendable haha!

Umm, we never met, did we?

Waayy back, I had a stop at the end of a 7 mile dirt road. Only place on the road. Every time I saw the mail carrier in the morning, he'd flag me down to bum a smoke or two from me. Then he asked if I had anything for that stop and if I did he'd take it for me.
Should of gave him a whole pack and then say take these other 10 stops for me!

oldngray

nowhere special
Should of gave him a whole pack and then say take these other 10 stops for me!

That reminds me of the driver who ran the route next to mine. He would ask me to deliver one stop for him. And if I said OK, he would then say as long as you are there here are 3 or 4 more near there you can get. And of course he would never ever help anyone else that way.

That reminds me of the driver who ran thein route next to mine. He would ask me to deliver one stop for him. And if I said OK, he would then say as long as you are there here are 3 or 4 more near there you can get. And of course he would never ever help anyone else that way.
When I was a rookie...we had a driver who was 65 plus at the time. he would drive around in his old Ford 600,with his false teeth on the dashboard! If he would see your package car parked on the side of the road, he would put 10 stops in your cab!

rod

Retired 22 years
I heard the story years ago when UPS first started delivering Montana or one of those "drive for miles between stops" states about the driver who would park at a local cafe in a one horse town for most of the day and call everyone and tell them that UPS don't deliver in the country. They would all drive to town to meet him. The last couple of hours of his day he would drive the interstate to put on some miles. I don't know if it was true or not but I heard that story many times.
I do know for a fact that a buddy of mine who ran one of the 300 mile a day routes we had would get rid of at least half his stops (30 stops a day was all he ran) in town at the local school or the hardware store. He did that for years--- except for the days he had a rider with him. Having delivered the same little town for 25 years and knowing where everyone on my route worked --I was guilty of that myself when it was convenient.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I guess the people I see driving around putting business solicitations in every mailbox aren't aware of this.

I hope you haven't been. You can be fired.

They dont get fired for leaving a package in a mailbox. They get fired for lying about it when questioned, or for falsifying their delivery records by entering "porch" or "front door" as the release location instead of "mailbox."

I'm not advocating leaving packages in mailboxes, but I have done it myself on a handful of occasions and I even had a complaint called in on me once. Since I had typed "mailbox" in the DIAD and told the truth when they asked me about it, all I got was a verbal warning.