Does anyone get "punished" for not fulfilling your SUPS insatiable expectations?

UPSGUY72

He probably sends you there becasue there still package that need to be put in the trucks and it make him look good to send his guys to help. When he send you there just take you time don't bust your ass becasue if he sees you getting the job done he's going to keep sending you there to do it. Don't argue with him if he really pisses you off don't talk to him just do your job and ignore him. I use to like doing that to my SUP it would piss him right off and he could not do anything about it.

High Side

Does an hourly who has senority, and has completed there work shift of at least 3.5 hours, (IE sorting, unloading) have the choice to say yes or no to additional work? (IE helping in other parts of the building like boxlines, irregs) Can I say no to a SUP who tells me to goto a boxline or do irregs and punch out?

dillweed

First and foremost - don't take anything at UPS to heart. Neither the praise nor the punishment are long lasting.

If lesser seniority employees are being sent home you may certainly ask your sup if one of them could do the work. If they say you have to stay, stay and do it. I don't know the union rules on this so you'd have to talk to your rep about forcing the issue.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The oh so important reports said I was 2.25 late yesterday. Of course no one is there when I get in so they didnt know when I got in, or care........
Point being, the oh so perfect computer made a mistake or the un so perfect driver, but it was off by an hour. I was about to tell him when I got the "you buddy* you were 2 hrs late look" , and he just held his hand up and didnt want to chat, so I said screw it. I was only 1.25, which by my "book" is .25. Not that I care, just trying to help.:smart:

tieguy

Banned
Does an hourly who has senority, and has completed there work shift of at least 3.5 hours, (IE sorting, unloading) have the choice to say yes or no to additional work? (IE helping in other parts of the building like boxlines, irregs) Can I say no to a SUP who tells me to goto a boxline or do irregs and punch out?

Refusing instructions can get you fired.

You can ask him to send people in seniority order and grieve if he does not honor your seniority.

mthbstr8

I hope things are improving for you. Sometimes the sups have restrictions about who they can assign work to. But any good sup would use whomever is the best person for the job among those that are available. They're trained to be rough on slackers, and easy on employees who perform. But hey, were all human.

Tony31yrs

You get paid, no matter what the job. Just work at a decent, but not overly fast pace. Also, act like you are happy with the extra work and are enjoying it. If he's out to punish you, he won't keep it up. The worst thing you can do is let him know that he's getting to you. If you can't do this, then go to the seniority/grievance procedure.

dillweed

Sometimes I feel that the punishment is geared more toward those who bust butt than those who don't.

Unfortunately we do have people who work at one pace only, snail. No amount of prodding speeds them up.

Those of us who can pour it on when necessary seem to get put into positions where speed and strength are needed. It's so important to pace yourself, give the fair day's work but be safe.

dillweed

You get paid, no matter what the job. Just work at a decent, but not overly fast pace. Also, act like you are happy with the extra work and are enjoying it. If he's out to punish you, he won't keep it up. The worst thing you can do is let him know that he's getting to you. If you can't do this, then go to the seniority/grievance procedure.

Boy oh boy am I glad I re-read this thread. I've been being told that I'm not fast, strong or good enough. Not just pt sups, it's all the way up to the center manager. Two weeks of this and it's beginning to wear. I didn't just wake up one morning and decide to become a slug. Seems lots of us are feeling the crush.

Thank you, Tony31yrs. Your words "decent but not overly fast" are comforting. I am as fast as I can be without injuring and was timed by mngmt last month with satisfactory results.

So it's not personal, just another boa squeeze to improve numbers, right?. Hey, I know this stuff just need a hug. :happy-very:

insider007

t = (m)W/s

t= Time
m = Money

W= Work
S = Stress

This is the equation of hourly moderation. It follows that working in moderation will earn more time and therefore more money and work while decreasing STRESS.

Conversely, if you or the whole unload are coerced into working faster,..then it follows that the faster you work the less time you will be spending, the less money you will make, but the more STRESS you will endure. It turns out that the faster people work, the more money the corporation earns; namely a profit off of the hourly workers.