Dogs Saved by UPS Driver

balland chain

When I was a delivery driver, my sup told me I was not to even talk to my customers, much less save a dog on company time. I am sorry to say, but no matter what I come across while on UPS time, I will just keep driving. No good deed goes unpunished at UPS. If a driver pulls up on a (example) car on fire and gets out to help, that driver would be stealing time.. In Charlotte NC that is the way it is. I would not stop no matter what the situation is. UPS of course would spin it to their advantage if a driver "saved" someone/thing, but if they dislike that driver, he/she would be fired for stealing company time. This company has left me with a very bad attitude because of the way they treat drivers who are doing the job by the methods, following all habits, but they dislike because they stand up for themselves.

kingOFchester

When I was a delivery driver, my sup told me I was not to even talk to my customers, much less save a dog on company time. I am sorry to say, but no matter what I come across while on UPS time, I will just keep driving. No good deed goes unpunished at UPS. If a driver pulls up on a (example) car on fire and gets out to help, that driver would be stealing time.. In Charlotte NC that is the way it is. I would not stop no matter what the situation is. UPS of course would spin it to their advantage if a driver "saved" someone/thing, but if they dislike that driver, he/she would be fired for stealing company time. This company has left me with a very bad attitude because of the way they treat drivers who are doing the job by the methods, following all habits, but they dislike because they stand up for themselves.

I understand where you are coming from.

However, I will always try to do the right thing. I may not always succeed, may even cause myself more harm, but I will not pass on the opportunity to help someone out.

kingOFchester

I think the dog was named Spot.

smiley-laughing025.gif
smiley-laughing025.gif

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I would code it out as unpaid time, sick on road whatever. If I could save someones something life, I would, no matter the consequences. I think some of you are tongue in cheek so to say. I think most would do the right thing

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

North Carolina.
Right to work.
Weak union.
None of what you describe would happen here in Oregon. If I came across a car on fire, I could stop and render aid, call 911 etc without fearing for my job. I actually did stop once and help a woman who had driven off the road and submerged her car upside down in a creek. It was at night, she had just crawled up the embankment in the snow and was lying by the road waving for help. She was soaking wet and in danger of hypothermia. I stopped, put on my 4-ways, called 911,gave her my jacket, and let her sit in the jumpseat with the heater going until the ambulance arrived. The entire incident took about 25 minutes. I told my supervisor about it, and he said I did the right thing and he didnt even mention the time. We are UPS, we dont just drive away and abandon people who need help.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
That's my center. The home owner stopped that driver today, gave him a big hug & thank you. That should be thanks enough for any one.

Indecisi0n

A few calls to a local news company would change that.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
No way it could have been a Runner/Gunner that made the rescue. Here's 3 reasons why:

A- We all know RG's never make it past the mailboxes. No way they could have seen flames.

B- It was 2:30. The RG is busy on lunch from 2-3, doing 18-20 stops.

C- It is illegal to use the phone while driving, and since the RG's truck is almost always moving, it is near impossible to make a call. Add to that a full mouth as driver rams down a sandwich as he drives to next stop. Can't talk with full mouth.

North Carolina.
Right to work.
Weak union.
None of what you describe would happen here in Oregon. If I came across a car on fire, I could stop and render aid, call 911 etc without fearing for my job. I actually did stop once and help a woman who had driven off the road and submerged her car upside down in a creek. It was at night, she had just crawled up the embankment in the snow and was lying by the road waving for help. She was soaking wet and in danger of hypothermia. I stopped, put on my 4-ways, called 911,gave her my jacket, and let her sit in the jumpseat with the heater going until the ambulance arrived. The entire incident took about 25 minutes. I told my supervisor about it, and he said I did the right thing and he didnt even mention the time. We are UPS, we dont just drive away and abandon people who need help.
We are not only super Hero drivers but some of us are super good people. I can't believe someone would lose themselves and not help someone in need just because of this company.