DOT PHYSICAL Is there a drug test.

jtk0307

My union rep(not the steward) but the regional rep told me the urinalysis is only a diabetes and kidney screening and several drivers have said the same. I just got driver(the small brown trucks not cdl) for the second time and have a physical scheduled. I was on klonopin to relax, after an old work injury at UPS. I quit taking it a week ago but am scared it could have traces in my system. Is there a drug screening.

I do have a script for it but I know that for DOT drug testing it doesn't matter, script or no script you can't be on insomnia meds. I have only taken it once in the last month but still it could be lingering around.

Please no hateful replies. I'm just looking for confirmation or advice. I'm not too worried since my rep and drivers told me its not for drugs unless you are applying for a CDL but figured I would ask.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
There is NO screening for drugs during a DOT physical. However you should clean yourself up because they can test you for probable cause after a vehicle accident.

jtk0307

thanks so much for the reply. I'm already off the meds. It klonopin though and my dr told me it could take up to a month to completely clear. My plan was to get off it by january. I didn't realize it took so long to get out of your system. I thought once you was off it, it was gone.

jtk0307

btw here's the whole story on why i was on meds. I was a temp driver and had a wreck. I was sent back to the hub and my spot wasn't retained. I had severe sleep problems, back, anxiety etc and was prescribed meds by the workers comp dr. I had no idea they couldn't be in my system. I DQ'd myself last year when i was rehired and tried to quit the meds but it was so so hard. I finally am free after about 4 months or cutting down.

Ill say a prayer for you but you have to clean it up and work on developing very thick skin for this job. Excuses tend to get lost in the shuffle in this job and a positive test one time is the end all of your employment at United Parcel. Man up and good luck brother.

gingerkat

Wait, you get tested for diabetes as a driver? Well, if they are testing you for that and only that, then you shouldn't worry. A urinalysis or blood test in your kidneys is looking for specific levels of a protein, not for drugs, that would be an actual drug screening. If your getting drug tested, you should be signing something saying it's a drug test and it most likely would list the drugs being looked at (in my state anyway).

If you are very concerned, ask your doctor to test your blood beforehand. The sad part of these meds is that they are very addictive and your doctor should have told you that and issued with a soft hand. Good luck and I'm sure you'll be ok.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Ill say a prayer for you but you have to clean it up and work on developing very thick skin for this job. Excuses tend to get lost in the shuffle in this job and a positive test one time is the end all of your employment at United Parcel. Man up and good luck brother.
No it isn't

jtk0307

Thanks for the jackass reply. Where exactly did i have an excuse. I was injured AT UPS. The company doctor well I mean the doc they took me to for the work comp prescribed my Klonopin and Tramadol. I had no idea you couldn't drive on these. The doctor knew i was a driver before so I figured if it was a problem, he would have known. Man Up?? HAHA, yeah ok. I'm sure if you blew out a few disks or tore your ACL, you would just be like I'm a man...... Keep kidding yourself.

jtk0307

Wait, you get tested for diabetes as a driver? Well, if they are testing you for that and only that, then you shouldn't worry. A urinalysis or blood test in your kidneys is looking for specific levels of a protein, not for drugs, that would be an actual drug screening. If your getting drug tested, you should be signing something saying it's a drug test and it most likely would list the drugs being looked at (in my state anyway).

If you are very concerned, ask your doctor to test your blood beforehand. The sad part of these meds is that they are very addictive and your doctor should have told you that and issued with a soft hand. Good luck and I'm sure you'll be ok.

Yes they were very addictive. It took me about 4 months of weaning down with special liquid measurements to get off the klonopin. I'm off it but it takes a while to completely get out of your system.

Thanks for the jackass reply. Where exactly did i have an excuse. I was injured AT UPS. The company doctor well I mean the doc they took me to for the work comp prescribed my Klonopin and Tramadol. I had no idea you couldn't drive on these. The doctor knew i was a driver before so I figured if it was a problem, he would have known. Man Up?? HAHA, yeah ok. I'm sure if you blew out a few disks or tore your ACL, you would just be like I'm a man...... Keep kidding yourself.
Klonopin is a drug for people with bipolar and severe mental problems. A work injury from stress kinda sounded like an excuse to me. Sorry

jtk0307

don't you just have to admit a drug problem and go to rehab or drug classes or whatever? A one time deal?

As a side note, I don't use illegal drugs but it's funny how everyone bashes people that smoke pot or whatever when many many of them go for drinks all the time. It doesn't take but what maybe 2 drinks to be over the limit. So it's ok for you to break the law because it is beer but not for a pothead to smoke. Who made you god. they are both wrong and against the law. And yes i do drink and I do have a DWI.

jtk0307

Klonopin is a drug for people with bipolar and severe mental problems. A work injury from stress kinda sounded like an excuse to me. Sorry

klonopin certainly isn't for bipolar disorder or mental disorders unless you consider anxiety a severe mental disorder.

Klonopin is prescribed off label for sleep as well as a muscle relaxer. I realize that you may not understand how someone may not be able to sleep when their back is sending excruciating pain signals to your brain and I am glad you are so tough but for me the pain was too much.

Bad Gas!

Jt,
Don't be so defensive..Idont think he was being a jackass..He was merely wishing you luck and to be careful...You have to think about all angles...Good luck and be careful with the disks.This job get's very physical as you know.. It will find your week spots on your body...be really physically and mentally..Keep clean and get mean!

jtk0307

Jt,
Don't be so defensive..Idont think he was being a jackass..He was merely wishing you luck and to be careful...You have to think about all angles...Good luck and be careful with the disks.This job get's very physical as you know.. It will find your week spots on your body...be really physically and mentally..Keep clean and get mean!

Thanks for your reply Bad Gas! I'm pretty sure he was talking down saying i was making excuses. What excuses have i made. I'm off all meds I just COULD not for sure have some metabolites still in my body. and yes I know it is tough. I was already a driver before. I just didn't know that the test they gave us was a diabetes and liver screening and not drug test.

Thanks for your reply Bad Gas! I'm pretty sure he was talking down saying i was making excuses. What excuses have i made. I'm off all meds I just COULD not for sure have some metabolites still in my body. and yes I know it is tough. I was already a driver before. I just didn't know that the test they gave us was a diabetes and liver screening and not drug test.
I said I would say a prayer for you and I'm being a jackass. Ok. You are right. Grow up and get some thicker skin and don't come her for answers you already know all the answers. Good luck brother I hope your back is better I'm sure being a package car driver will help it out.