Driver fired for falsifying timecard...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The problem is that when you accommodate yourself you are also accommodating UPS. You are artificially more productive on your route. We all work under certain constraints, one is our contract. We are not supposed to be the most productive that we can possibly be. We are only supposed to be as productive as our contract will allow. You think that you are helping yourself but you really are not. You are doing more work in a given amount of time than what you would do if you simply followed your contract. You are also helping to keep additional routes from being added to your center. A midday lunch makes you less productive but is required for safety reasons. UPS and our Union have an agreement in place that will help you if you follow it. Instead, you have chosen to victimize yourself.

To quote you: We are only supposed to be as productive as our contract will allow. We are not supposed to be the most productive that we can possibly be.

This is why so many people have issues with the union mentality, including me. Unions promote mediocrity which you define by your quoted statements. We are all paid an industry leading wage and benefit package to do our jobs in the most efficient manner possible. Could it be that perhaps some people simply work better than others?

You are naive to think that if I take my lunch during the contractually mandated time that they will add routes.

As I stated before, I believe that I am following the spirit of the contract, if not the letter, in that I take my full lunch and break at a time that works best for me and for my delivery area. I also stated that I am not alone in doing so and cited examples.

Thanks for your concern, but I don't feel victimized. I guess taking home $900 per week softens the blow.

You continue to do what works for you and I will continue to do what works for me. Dave.

gamer282

Go Packers!
Sorry you got fired but if you proved the "Maintenance of Standards" is Falsifying your lunch with all the other idiot drivers backing your ass they would either have to fire all of you including the supervisors that knew (and we all know they all know) or give your job back.
I have filed over a 1/2 dozen grievances in the past year because of all the drivers that put their lunch in and never take it. They are done at 4PM with a 9 hour day working 6+hours and getting an hour bonus. I ask for an 8 hr day and try to get done by 530 with an hour lunch and have a hard time. I will not record what I don't take at the proper times. I have discipline now up to a 5 day suspension pending and can't wait for the requested information on the other drivers to prove they are trying to get me to also record the meal period without taking it.
Good Luck! your probably a Dues paying member and the Union needs your Dues... Gamer

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
To quote you: We are only supposed to be as productive as our contract will allow. We are not supposed to be the most productive that we can possibly be.

This is why so many people have issues with the union mentality, including me. Unions promote mediocrity which you define by your quoted statements. We are all paid an industry leading wage and benefit package to do our jobs in the most efficient manner possible. Could it be that perhaps some people simply work better than others?

You are naive to think that if I take my lunch during the contractually mandated time that they will add routes.

As I stated before, I believe that I am following the spirit of the contract, if not the letter, in that I take my full lunch and break at a time that works best for me and for my delivery area. I also stated that I am not alone in doing so and cited examples.

Thanks for your concern, but I don't feel victimized. I guess taking home $900 per week softens the blow.

You continue to do what works for you and I will continue to do what works for me. Dave.

The problem here is you want a Union to protect your rights as long as it beneficial to you, If you disagree then you think its ok to do whatever you feel like doing. What makes you so much better then everyone else? Do you also think its ok for the company to pick and choose the language they wish to follow? Is it ok with you if they statr taking full time drivers off the street and use a supervisor to do his work? How about if we let them start cutting route because they are using air drivers to run NDA that could and should be run by a full time driver. Why don't you call up the Teamsters negotiating commitee and tell them about the spirit of the language, and that you think its ok to do whatever you feel like doing as long as you justify it by saying I'm following the spirit of the contract.

I have told you before, things like that will catch up to you. You may have a kind and understanding C/M now, but as soon as the D/M gets on the phone and threatens to fire his ass if he does not take care of the problem, I assure you that will end. If you are willing to take that risk, you deserve whatever happens to you!!

SWORDFISH

Upstate seems to work in a old school style center. Hopefully it stays that way and Hitler doesnt take over your center too. Most of the rest of us live in an environment where we cant do certain things period. Im glad their are a centers like Upstates still out their. I remember when I started driving their where days that I only took like 22min of lunch because I wanted to get done that day and recorded it as 22min. The center manager and OCS knew about it and it was no big deal. That was years ago. If I did that now I would be in super big trouble.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have told you before, things like that will catch up to you. You may have a kind and understanding C/M now, but as soon as the D/M gets on the phone and threatens to fire his ass if he does not take care of the problem, I assure you that will end. If you are willing to take that risk, you deserve whatever happens to you!!

Grocer, what you don't understand is that there is no problem. The only time there is a problem is when we don't record our lunch or only record a portion of it. We have to put 45 minutes for lunch and 10 minutes for our break. Beyond that they could care less when we take them just as long as we take them.

I take my full 45 and 10 and I don't do any work during that time.

Now, if my mgt team were to ever take the time to compare lunch times in the DIAD with delivery times, we would have a few drivers with some 'splainin' to do.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Upstate seems to work in a old school style center. Hopefully it stays that way and Hitler doesnt take over your center too. Most of the rest of us live in an environment where we cant do certain things period. Im glad their are a centers like Upstates still out their. I remember when I started driving their where days that I only took like 22min of lunch because I wanted to get done that day and recorded it as 22min. The center manager and OCS knew about it and it was no big deal. That was years ago. If I did that now I would be in super big trouble.

If the environment were to change and the new center manager directed that we were to take our lunch and breaks as directed in the contract I would work as directed and adjust accordingly.

Code 5's are very rare these days.

SWORDFISH

If the environment were to change and the new center manager directed that we were to take our lunch and breaks as directed in the contract I would work as directed and adjust accordingly.

Code 5's are very rare these days.

I figured you would go by the contract if directed.
The days I was speaking of were a bit over 8hrs. I dont really see code 5's either.
I understand some of your statements a little better now because I understand how your center works better now. Alot of people may not understand what you say because centers dont seem to operate like yours anymore. Im not declaring right or wrong just stating what I know to be true.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Grocer, what you don't understand is that there is no problem. The only time there is a problem is when we don't record our lunch or only record a portion of it. We have to put 45 minutes for lunch and 10 minutes for our break. Beyond that they could care less when we take them just as long as we take them.

I take my full 45 and 10 and I don't do any work during that time.

Now, if my mgt team were to ever take the time to compare lunch times in the DIAD with delivery times, we would have a few drivers with some 'splainin' to do.

I have heard many drivers begging in front of a panel saying those very words. Sooner or later there is always something that happens to make it a problem. I do believe we had the discussion before about the posibilty of having an accident after you contractual lunch period that you did not take, any good lawyer would have both you and UPS over a barrel if that were to happen!!

All I'M saying is why give the oppertunity for that to be an option?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have heard many drivers begging in front of a panel saying those very words. Sooner or later there is always something that happens to make it a problem. I do believe we had the discussion before about the posibilty of having an accident after you contractual lunch period that you did not take, any good lawyer would have both you and UPS over a barrel if that were to happen!! All I'M saying is why give the oppertunity for that to be an option?

Grocer, do me a favor---save the lecture for your kids.

I am an adult who can take care of his own business.

I'm out.

UPDATE

The driver in question is coming back to work on Monday. The details are a bit hazy as to how everything transpired and, quite frankly, are all irrelevant to the driver involved since he is probably thrilled to now have a paycheck/benefits again. I spoke to a few people who are a closer to this driver than I am and I guess this decision had more to do with UPS higher-ups, beyond the center management team, and less to do with the union pursuing the case. Either way, I made the comment that it is impossible to get fired from UPS.....at least up here any ways. I am curious as to the toe-stepping that was involved with this entire proceeding though. On one hand I am happy he is getting his job back since he has a family and no one wants to see the fallout from no job or insurance. On the other hand, it is curious to me that UPS has no consistency with their disciplinary actions. I mean across the board and not just in this situation.

Any thoughts???
It is my experience that discipline at UPS is more about politics and relationships than anything else. Not including stealing and drugs, but everything else though. If you are going through the termination process, just hope your BA and the DM can at least have a discussion.

Did anyone out there hear of the class action law suit involving UPS and drivers regarding working through lunches? Ya well a bunch of drivers got some money, and it ended up being in the millions. Long story short, we all now start our lunches between the 4th and 5th hour. Period. Everyone. The board locks up and there is NO WORK completed. No prerecording or left at tricks. No entering your lunch for some time period in the past.
I am really surprised that after that law suit UPS is still allowing the sort of practices that led to the settling out of court for like $13 million. Acording to UPstate they are. All those practices came to a complete halt.

BTW, we get 30 unpaid lunch, 2 15 min paid breaks, and after 10.01 another 10 min paid break. Why all the descrepancies with personal time and unpaid lunch time region by region?

SWORDFISH

Did anyone out there hear of the class action law suit involving UPS and drivers regarding working through lunches? Ya well a bunch of drivers got some money, and it ended up being in the millions. Long story short, we all now start our lunches between the 4th and 5th hour. Period. Everyone. The board locks up and there is NO WORK completed. No prerecording or left at tricks. No entering your lunch for some time period in the past.
I am really surprised that after that law suit UPS is still allowing the sort of practices that led to the settling out of court for like $13 million. Acording to UPstate they are. All those practices came to a complete halt.

BTW, we get 30 unpaid lunch, 2 15 min paid breaks, and after 10.01 another 10 min paid break. Why all the descrepancies with personal time and unpaid lunch time region by region?

All of the content your speaking of is area specific. Doesnt apply to everyone. I do know of the lawsuit and could have got some money but declined because it didnt affect me. Didnt feel right taking money for something that I wasnt affected by.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Its the ol' ask 10 supervisors something and get 10 different answers. Everything at this company has to be so hard..if it doesnt have some kind of drama attached its just not right.

All of the content your speaking of is area specific. Doesnt apply to everyone. I do know of the lawsuit and could have got some money but declined because it didnt affect me. Didnt feel right taking money for something that I wasnt affected by.
There wasn't really any declining. The settlement was negotiated for everysingle driver who had hours worked in a given time period, regardless of whether you worked during your lunch or not. You could 'opt-out' of the suit but there was aleady a check made out to you for several thousand dollars. If you opted-out then you would only be increasing the settlement for everyone who opted-in.

SWORDFISH

There wasn't really any declining. The settlement was negotiated for everysingle driver who had hours worked in a given time period, regardless of whether you worked during your lunch or not. You could 'opt-out' of the suit but there was aleady a check made out to you for several thousand dollars. If you opted-out then you would only be increasing the settlement for everyone who opted-in.

Hmm... Its been quite awhile since that happend so I will just concede. I remember it differently but either way we agree that it happend so it doesnt really matter.

NHDRVR

The board locks up? That's a new one...