Driver Helper Browns

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by arice11, Nov 19, 2015.

1. arice11

arice11 Active Member

I am no stranger to breaking and walking over the tedious rules at UPS.
    This one bit of trouble I got into was wearing browns during the driver-helper orientation at another hub. The HR lady, who knew my name without asking or consulting the sign in sheet ;)
    picked on me the whole time saying "you were suppose to return your brown" and "we can't have you keep your browns."
    In fact several of my coworkers from the other hub confessed to having browns from previous years as well.

I've been with UPS for some time, I know the drill, you can't have the Browns just advertising on any bum bumming on the streets, but a brand is still a brand and wouldn't it be OK to let a seasoned employee keep a fitting set of browns?
    I just don't understand why I always get into such trouble.

2. Operational needs

Operational needs Well-Known Member

You answered the last sentence with your opening sentence.

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. Mst3k

Mst3k Member

"I'm sorry, I didn't know" is how you should have replied. I've known employees who have had the police show up to collect the Browns. So your verbal spanking was nothing to complain about.

4. arice11

arice11 Active Member

Hey that was pretty actually pretty clever of me...haha, and you to notice.
    Most the rules we all tend to break anyway, little things, like parkers shifting trucks in the morning, smoking a cig, preloaders moving trucks without vets, working before start time, tossing a box...everyone does something different to break the rules a little.

5. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

It is a company policy to return the uniforms after your tenure of being a helper is over. Here, they threaten with a police visit to get browns back. LP takes that very seriously, because wearing browns gives you free access to a lot of places that other people just don't have.

6. arice11

arice11 Active Member

How does it get that serious?
    My union-steward told me to keep them, and i figured it was for a good reason.

7. arice11

arice11 Active Member

I guess that makes sense...still pretty harsh. I'll return the bloody browns then...although it was worthwhile to see HR lady freak out I guess.
    When she asked me "where did you get those browns?" I should have made up a cool story to see if anyone took me seriously.
    OH WELL! I may just decide not to Driver Help and just get rolling on being a real driver. IDK!

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  8. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 ahhh....the mouth breathers

Oh FFS!!! Hey....let's play use our GD brain. The problem isn't so much that you kept your browns. I have a few sets of browns and several jackets from jumping during previous summer peaks and after major snowstorms over the years.

The problem is...YOU WORE THEM to orientation, thus showing HR that you hadn't returned them. You cannot wear ANY part of a UPS uniform....even in the building working preload, or out in public off the clock. The only time you wear the uniform is if you are working as a helper. End of story.

PS. The fact that you wore browns to orientation shows what an attention seeking W** you are. Who were you trying to impress? ;)

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  9. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Guest

See the thread,about the UPS uniforms sold on e-bay.
    Plus you may use them to get free food from DQ.

Sorry couldn't pass that up

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. arice11

arice11 Active Member

You're right of course. I do things on purpose to stir up boring initiations, happens to me more often then I'd like, but I wouldn't have guessed that it had such a degree of seriousness. IS all I'm saying.

11. rod

rod retired and happy

They used to hold the last check for the Christmas helpers until they had turned in their browns. They never had a problem getting them back.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. arice11

arice11 Active Member

Is it true?
    Cause I will iron these scrappy browns and polish my boots. Shave and shower and even deliver real damn packages to them if this is true?

13. bleedinbrown58

Keep stirring the pot....you'll find yourself out of a job eventually.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Operational needs

Operational needs Well-Known Member

I'm so glad I had smart children. I couldn't handle having dumb ones.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  15. arice11

arice11 Active Member

I've been stirring the pot for four years. What on earth are they waiting for? My labor must be more important to them then silly rules.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Derail Derail x 1
    • List
  16. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Did you ever notice that only the parents of ugly children get a full night's sleep?

17. bleedinbrown58

Well....you now have HR's attention. I'd walk a fine line if I were you, DQ Stalker.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

They have to protect the brand.

19. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

One can only hope.

You and me both.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List