Driver or Mechanic?

clean hairy

Saw a package car being towed into one of the Hubs.
I can imagine the finger pointing going on, the Driver stating they advised the Mechanics of an issue, and the Mechanics stating they knew nothing of an issue that might cause it to break down.
So, who gets the blame for it breaking down on road and having to be towed in?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Its not their fault. I had a radiator hose blow. I could probaly go to advanced auto and have one in a day if not sooner, But since I cannot, I have been driving pos pulled out of the boneyard all week. WTH I get paid by the hour, right., I know when the tracks broke on my back door, it took 2 months to get a new door. Poor ups they got no cash$$$$$

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I was asked if I could drive it back in through two school zones when it was rainng, with no wipers, driver side just flew off. I said NO

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
We get the breakdown counted against us no matter the cause. Stuck in mud, battery killed, mixed fuel, tire popped on curve, not knowing how to retighten a backed off parking brake, nobody thinking to use key when the keyless fails. There are only extenuating circumstances to be listed about it on the memo we are required to file in AIS. About 90% of the time there was nothing I could have done to prevent it.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I gave up on caring about breakdown stats since they took away all the incentive about them and the fact we get burned no matter what. Having a bunch of VT365 cars nearly guarantees being resigned to a lot of them.

bbsam

Staff member
I don't understand the blame. Sometimes things just break.

I had a truck catch fire just as the driver got back to the terminal. Caliper blew, leaked brake fluid on hit rotors, poof. Put fire out, replace caliper, brakes and fire extinguisher and back on road. No blame.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Some breakdowns are good, like when the truck stalls on the drive back to the building. Free money!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
driver rarely get the blame but should sometimes because they dont write up small problems that turn into big breakdown type problems.

as mentioned before here , the mechanics cant fix a problem if it's not written up.

plus , our guys are saddled with 35 package cars and feeder tractors each or more. some have 45.

it's redic-you-louse.

Gear

Parts on Order
Breakdowns go against the mechanic, no matter what the reason. But it doesnt mean anything. I cant figure out why mechs even care. The only people who think breakdowns can be prevented by a PMI are the ones that have been with UPS to long. People just lose touch with reality. Turbos blow, rear ends blow, alternators fail, it happens. Thats why there are tow trucks.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Suppose it is an issue where the mechanic says
"parts on order ok to run" and it breaks down due to that issue a few days later?
Then there's a problem, but sometimes there's no alternative apart from tagging it. Peak season the official start of the "no brown down" nonsense.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
We get pressured all the time to keep stuff on the road during peak if it seems to still be functioning safely. A lot of the time stuff will not present itself until it totally fails and I can't fix what I can't see.