Driver terminated using gps info

FedexExEmployee

I just heard through our grapevine that we terminated another person for falsification last week and that GPS was definitely used to prove his location was at a guard gate instead of the loading dock. However, this particular driver had been directed by management to enter a delay code AND also POD the pkg by entering the name of the receiver due to this customer's extensive security procedures, which can take up to 20 mins. First, this driver should not have been fired because he was acting on direct orders from management. Second, shouldn't the manager face some sort of discipline "up to and including termination"(our lingo) for breaching falsification protocol? The manager is still at work and is facing nothing in the way of sanctions.

Do you now if the courier is going to appeal?

One thing I know is that management suggests (aka manipulates) fired couriers (for falsification) to write a letter admitting, in detail, 100% fault.
In return, the courier can use Fredex as a future reference without retribution.
I've spoken to at least 3 couriers who were fired from my station for falsification in which they told me this was the scenario.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I've heard he is going to GFT it, but you know how fair that process is. I can't believe they aren't going after the manager, especially since there was the similar incident I mentioned as a precedent. As someone else very wisely posted earlier, "Management Lies". Then, their bosses back them up all the way to the top.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Actually, your conversations between the twin FDXers ought to belong in the fedex area of the site, not in this conversation, because the items being discussed are that different.

I had a driver that I managed to keep working for several years. He even quit his job one morning, and I managed to get it back for him. But his undoing was that he liked to eat lunch, and stop delivered his pre-recorded stops while eating. And yes, the GPS/diad/electronic device was used at his hearing, as well as three days worth of management video. So while I think just the electronic data can not be used as the reason, the electronic means will tip them off, thereby tipping them off to dishonest behavior, at which time they then can begin watching the driver in question. After that, it is only a matter of time.

In all things be honest in your dealings, and you will never have to worry about who and why someone may be watching.

d

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Actually, your conversations between the twin FDXers ought to belong in the fedex area of the site, not in this conversation, because the items being discussed are that different.

I had a driver that I managed to keep working for several years. He even quit his job one morning, and I managed to get it back for him. But his undoing was that he liked to eat lunch, and stop delivered his pre-recorded stops while eating. And yes, the GPS/diad/electronic device was used at his hearing, as well as three days worth of management video. So while I think just the electronic data can not be used as the reason, the electronic means will tip them off, thereby tipping them off to dishonest behavior, at which time they then can begin watching the driver in question. After that, it is only a matter of time.

In all things be honest in your dealings, and you will never have to worry about who and why someone may be watching.

d
I agree totally. Take the crap to your fed ex forum, people on here are not enjoying it. We dont go for the constant fighting, and denegration. This is a fun and informational site, and If you cannot be fun and informational, then stop posting in this thread.
1. it has nothing to do with fed ex
2. no one needs your opinion, as we need ups employee opinions.
3. we have better things to do than monitor you
Thats my opinion.

satellitedriver

I stand by what I said. So much for TieGuy's integrity and the sanctity of PM's. Once again, can we please return to the topic?
If you stand by what you said, then there is no integrity issue against Tie.
As to the PM's being sacrosanct, I haven't read that one in the rule book.
Yes, you can return your topics back to the Fedex forum.

Eventually the dishonest sups and center manager's get their's, they seem to get caught sooner or later.
Oh they get caught a lot, but it seems nothing much happens to them unless its a major fiasco. Then most of them just get demoted without losing one cent of their income or just moved to another location in a "lateral" move. The integrity issue with some (if not most) managers is a tool they use to get rid of people that are otherwise doing a good job. There really is a ton of difference in a driver recording a package while not directly in front of a stop and a driver stealing the contents of a package. The difference being is that one could have a logical, legitimate reason for happening.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
So much for TieGuy's integrity and the sanctity of PM's.

PM's are like emails. I usually dont share them with anyone else unless they are to prove a point. And in his case, it did. Also, I dont believe you asked him not to share the pm with any one else before you posted them, so really they are fair game.

It boils down to this, if you cant stand the heat, get out of the brown truck. And if you lie, dont mess with Tie.

d

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Just as it's martyr creator intended, you have helped close the circle of victimhood with your responses. Yes, I can take the heat, and yes, the GPS issue is the same at both companies. Same technology, same management response...only the color of the trucks are different.
If you'd like to check, my original post on whether or not the DIAD had GPS capability spawned several really good threads, including this one until it got sidetracked.
Sorry that most of you are so hostile to discussions that do cross the boundaries..flame away and keep honoring your martyr. I'll back way off. That way you can be completely ignorant of issues that involve both places. Management likes it when there are no controversies.

Last edited:

DiadDude

You better get a new union steward!!! GPS is not grounds for dismissal. He will get his job back.

You should probably re-read the contract. It matters if this was a first offense and whether there was supporting evidence for the GPS data. Here is the verbage from the teamster website.

8) No employee shall be discharged on a first offense if such discharge is based solely upon information received from GPS or any successor system unless he/she engages in dishonesty (defined for the purposes of this paragraph as any act or omission by an employee where he/she intends to defraud the Company). The degree of discipline dealing with off-area offenses shall not be changed because of the use of GPS.

rod

Retired 22 years
You should probably re-read the contract. It matters if this was a first offense and whether there was supporting evidence for the GPS data. Here is the verbage from the teamster website.

8) No employee shall be discharged on a first offense if such discharge is based solely upon information received from GPS or any successor system unless he/she engages in dishonesty (defined for the purposes of this paragraph as any act or omission by an employee where he/she intends to defraud the Company). The degree of discipline dealing with off-area offenses shall not be changed because of the use of GPS.
Sounds like the company is the winner when it comes to the wording of this paragraph.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Thank you Mr Fed ex for my very first negative rep. Oh it hurts.:whiteflag:
I have no problem with discussing gps, it is a good subject. I have a problem with the negativity. And the harrassment.

hdkappler

i remember having a preloader who was good at putting airs in the loads.one customer told me to put down request late to cover me.even had one tell me to sign his name before 10:30 then del whenever.(i wouldn'tdo that).most of the time it was this preloader i had would mess things up.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
The driver was back to work today, didn't get a chance to talk to him or hear anything. I was busy in the sups office having him try to show me my movements for the day before, but he couldn't get into the system. What a bunch of idiots!

UPS Lifer

After I posted about the GPS, I noticed all the flames in the posts that followed.

I have said this before, FedEx - we did not invite you to come play in our sandbox. You continue to come into the sandbox and kick sand in our faces. Why do you continue to come into our sandbox when you are not wanted here?

You compare your company to ours. Until you have the Teamster union engrained into your business culture for many years and have a contract that is similar to ours, you can't compare Fedex to UPS. Please do not continue to make yourselves look foolish by your constant comparisons. Unless you are a current or retired UPS driver or management person your "expertise" on UPS is not appreciated or of any value to me.

You have every right to talk about FedEx but you always have to add a comparison to UPS. Don't look foolish... leave the comparison out! It makes you look like you want to be a UPSer..... or what I call a "want-a-be".

Please spend more time in your own sandbox. Oh!!! By the way, how many posts can you pull up where UPSers go out of their way to compare themselves to FedEx.....

UPSers are the real deal.... there is no comparison!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
This conversation is kinda like lunch at hardees. 5 UPS trucks in the parking lot. Even if and when the fedex driver swings by and eats (we invite him over) they dont stay long.

Something to think about though. In our Fedex terminal down the road, 9 of the most senior drivers used to deliver for us until our management team ran them off. UPS lost a lot of great people, Fedex gained a lot of experienced and customer savy drivers. It took UPS locally 3-5 years to overcome the migration of both driver and customer to FEDEX.

I personally dont mind their input, but the "your job is exactly like ours" is not accurate. While we are somewhat all in the same boat, and deal with issues that are very simular, the responses and terminology are very different.

But who knows, maybe the FDX drivers will understand that while unionism is not all it is cracked up to be, FDX is a prime example of what UPS would be without.

Just my humble thoughts.

Peace!

d