Driver Told He Is Stealing If Drives 54 MPH in A 55 MPH Zone

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If you buy the premise of this thread as an accurate presentation of what actually happened and why.
My wife likes to argue and talk about these hypothetical type of arguments.
I almost never engage.

hook.jpg

didyousheetit

Hence my disclaimer of ideal weather and traffic conditions.

Let's not kid ourselves---if it were a bright, sunny day with traffic flowing smoothly there would be no reason in the world for this guy to go 54 in a 55 unless he were trying to send a message to his management team. I would guarantee that he would not be doing the same in his personal vehicle.

Driving up to 5 mph over the limit does not dramatically increase the wear or tear or increase the use of fuel.

Driving 1 mph under the speed limit for an extended period of time is clearly done with the intent of stealing time.
Up to 5 miles over the limit? It's called a LIMIT for a reason. Yes, it does consume more fuel. Also would like to hear from mechanic what is the plus or minus on speedometer reading if it's not digital.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Up to 5 miles over the limit? It's called a LIMIT for a reason. Yes, it does consume more fuel. Also would like to hear from mechanic what is the plus or minus on speedometer reading if it's not digital.

The town my center is located in recently put one of those mobile speed limit trailers in the road in front of our building. In really small letters were the words "Camera Equipped". The speed limit is 45 mph. Each and every time I drove past that trailer my speedometer, which is not digital, and the registered speed were exactly the same.

thecamel

Waiting to put the re in front of tired
The larger point being totally missed here is that many many of you highly tenured old guys who measure your time of service in decades have become thieves in the ordinary course of doing your job. Many of you hold opinions of being holier than though, many like that in my barn, and it only stings when management points the finger at YOU. This is the attitude that we are up against. Seems at times that mgmt. is against us and then they tell our holier than thou coworkers what to think as well. Ideally we as Teamsters need to stick together because your supes and mgrs. all hold hands as they chug the Kool-Aid and come down on us. If I see you walking off the property with that ipad or flat screen in your hands then I will know that you did it and in my eyes you are a thief. Don't need a supe to tell me, but 1 mph below the speed limit and then branded as a thief; ONLY AT UPS!!

S

serenity now

The town my center is located in recently put one of those mobile speed limit trailers in the road in front of our building. In really small letters were the words "Camera Equipped". The speed limit is 45 mph. Each and every time I drove past that trailer my speedometer, which is not digital, and the registered speed were exactly the same.

i would expect nothing less from a BOG speedometer

so the trailer is right in front of your barn, interesting

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
The larger point being totally missed here is that many many of you highly tenured old guys who measure your time of service in decades have become thieves in the ordinary course of doing your job. Many of you hold opinions of being holier than though, many like that in my barn, and it only stings when management points the finger at YOU. This is the attitude that we are up against. Seems at times that mgmt. is against us and then they tell our holier than thou coworkers what to think as well. Ideally we as Teamsters need to stick together because your supes and mgrs. all hold hands as they chug the Kool-Aid and come down on us. If I see you walking off the property with that ipad or flat screen in your hands then I will know that you did it and in my eyes you are a thief. Don't need a supe to tell me, but 1 mph below the speed limit and then branded as a thief; ONLY AT UPS!!

Well, I measure my years in decades. I'm not sure what is wrong with that or why that makes me a thief in the way I do my job. I've never pretended to be holier than thou, either. I've always tried to help out the newer drivers. The problem I get, is that lots of these guys don't listen to anything anyone tells them. They easily get intimidated by management harassment. This is why they become burners. But your idea of holier than thou' workers (where I come from) don't let management tell them what to do. That is a good way to get in an accident or an injury.

didyousheetit

aim high in steering, that will keep you from looking down at your speedometer and will help to keep you center in our lane. just saying

thecamel

Waiting to put the re in front of tired
No offense dracula I was referring to the one that watches guys wait till one or two clicks over 9.5 to punch out. Many like him in my barn and many that wait to be told what to think. My apologies to you, I think you're all right.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Just curious..... the OP said 2 got their jobs back and 2 did not.... what were the differences of the cases?
You gotta be doing something pretty egregious to get fired for stealing time and have it stick. I'm guessing these guys were doing a little more than just driving 1 mph under the posted speed limit.

You gotta be doing something pretty egregious to get fired for stealing time and have it stick. I'm guessing these guys were doing a little more than just driving 1 mph under the posted speed limit.
If I am doing 10 mph in a resi street........guess I should get fired too.......for being safe!!!!WTF,,,,,,,JUST VOTE NO...........KNOCK THIS CRAP OFF!!!!!!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Do me a favor----you drive on any part of 95 or 295 doing 54 and tell me what kind of reaction you get.

I find it odd that the drivers in question chose to go just 1 mph under the posted limit (again, based on ideal conditions). We have drivers who will stand by the exit with their DIADs in their hands waiting until they are one click over 9.5 to punch out. IMO both actions have no purpose other than to send a message.

The needle on my speedometer wiggles enough to make maintaining a perfect 55MPH nearly impossible. Plus, my eyes are on the road where they should be, not on my dashboard.

If the company wants to micromanage how fast we drive and accuse us of theft for driving 54 in a 55 then the first thing they need to do is equip the vehicles with a cruise control and a heads-up display that shows the speedometer up on the windshield. You cant drive safely while staring at a speedometer.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If you buy the premise of this thread as an accurate presentation of what actually happened and why.
My wife likes to argue and talk about these hypothetical type of arguments.
I almost never engage.​

Just curious..... the OP said 2 got their jobs back and 2 did not.... what were the differences of the cases?

Exactly!

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
No offense dracula I was referring to the one that watches guys wait till one or two clicks over 9.5 to punch out. Many like him in my barn and many that wait to be told what to think. My apologies to you, I think you're all right.

No apology necessary. Waiting to punch out like that would get me fired, because they kind of watch me a lot, but mainly, because I never want to give them anything to fire me for.