Dumb questions

Discussion in 'Introductions and Welcomes' started by newguyinbrown, Jan 9, 2015.

1. newguyinbrown

newguyinbrown New Member

Sorry in advance for the dumb questions if they are taken that way. I understand if I just ask HR my questions could be answered buti just found out my fate today. I was hired off the street in November for a seasonal coverage driver ...lots of hard work and luck later I was just offered a full time coverage driver position and will start my 30 days probation period next week. My questions are the basic pay progression, benefit start date, union start date? If contracts vary?? I am in Central, IL.

2. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

$18.75,
    after you qualify
    after you qualify

and by the way Congratulations, and good luck, and welcome to BC.

3. newguyinbrown

newguyinbrown New Member

Thank you! everyone tells me how they never hire off the street and how lucky I am ...coming from a previous career in law enforcement I actually love this job management at my center is surprisingly approachable ...I sense some tension with some drivers ...I assume because I didn't "climb through the ranks" but all in all am very happy

4. Crazy Diamond

Crazy Diamond Robot Extraordinaire

5. upschuck

It is rare, but you must have done a good job that they want you to keep you on, which will help you in qualifying.

6. newguyinbrown

newguyinbrown New Member

I am assuming qualifying is the 30 days probation they mentioned?

7. upschuck

Yes, a lot of different names for it, but all the same thing

8. newguyinbrown

newguyinbrown New Member

Yeah I wish I could stay on my peak route but they have a set training route that by the area seems like hell ...plan to get a list of stops for a Tuesday and start running it on my off time

9. newguyinbrown

newguyinbrown New Member

I finish out my peak contract in the coming week and then start my 30 the week after

10. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

I believe if your center management team offered you this sweetheart deal the fix is in. Just keep doing what you have been doing, don't crash and the job is yours. Of course after that UPS owns your soul for the next 30 years. Good luck.

11. newguyinbrown

newguyinbrown New Member

Thank you the brown brother hood is proving very inviting ...it's pretty refreshing ...great group of people from what I've seen so far

12. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Some of the best drivers I have ever met were hired off the street.

13. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

I tend to agree. I often hear mention of the legendary class of 89.

14. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Some of the worst drivers are also hired off the street.

15. upschuck

I do think they have a better attitude to start than the insiders, because they haven't had to deal with UPS management, but after a while of beat downs, they see what it is all about.

16. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Guest

Do you equate gullible with better?

17. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Not beat down at first but believe everything they are told until they learn how things are in the real world.

18. upschuck

Most people that start here want to do their best, and to please their sups. It is the constant beat down that changes peoples attitudes as to going above and beyond.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. upschuck

Beat down = the yelling and the nit picking and production standards that are unattainable if working by the methods.

20. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

I would think the percentages are roughly the same.