EDD

govols019

You smell that?
. Once the DOL is corrected, the dispatch sup has nothing to change.

Yes, he does. He controls the add/cuts. Regardless of how well your DOL may be the add/cuts that are made can kill you. If you have a new dispatch sup like ours, that will not listen, then there comes a time where you just throw your hands up in the air.

It also doesn't help when your center manager is of the opinion that every single driver is just looking to screw the company.

25yrvet

Our centers have been on Mr edd for 18 months. Before Mr. EDD was implemented I filled out 2 (TWO) dol's at different times for the IE (Idiot Extrodinare) boys. I, and most every other driver in these ctrs fully cooperated with mgt. If I were to follow MR EDD at 80% it would add an additional 90 minutes to my day & missed businesses. WHY ARE IE PEOPLE IN MY DISTRICT & IN MANY PARTS OF THE COUNTRY SO ARROGANT? I truely believe the stock of this company is down in PART because of PAS (piece a :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:)/ Mr. EDD. After a couple weeks on edd the sattelite ctrs notified the on car & ctr mgr of the mess. Their response was/is, "Go ahead and run it the way you used to before edd". We were instructed to do this 17 months ago & continue to do so.

One thing that would help is that if we could bring back the colored printers to UPS. This would help our reload sort--not everyone has or uses hi-lite tape for expedited pkgs. It would really help the pee-load, as each loop could have a different colored sticker.
:dissapointed:

VTBrown

That sounds all nice and dandy but that only works if both sides participate. The reason people complain about it here is because nothing is being done when we complain about it there (at work). Going into work with a "I'm going to fix it attitidude" is great but the best attititude in the world doesn't work if the people on the recieving end resist. Hence all the bitching and whining here. Many of our drivers gave up a few months ago and just starting running on trace no matter how silly it is and how many extra miles and hours they log. One driver was approached by management for "running over" so many times and he just told them that he ran the route according to EDD and that he had tried numerous times to get them to fix it and they didn't seem to care. He told them that since they didn't seem to care then he stopped caring. Is that a bad attitude? Yeah maybe but it seems to reflect theirs. Otherwise they'd listen more.

I still very highly doubt your management team doesn't care about fixing your trace.

Though as he stated and I have already stated....when the PAS team came into our center we were TOLD to work with them now. After they leave it will be very hard and time consuming to get it done.

Management does have other stuff that they need to complete as well, no?

You've chosen not to do anything...live with it.

Overpaid Union Thug

I still very highly doubt your management team doesn't care about fixing your trace.

I already said I don't think it's because they don't care. It's probably because they have their hands tied by IE. But judging by their attitudes when we ask it wouldn't be silly to think they don't care. Do you not pay attention to what you are reading?

Though as he stated and I have already stated....when the PAS team came into our center we were TOLD to work with them now. After they leave it will be very hard and time consuming to get it done.

We were told almost the same thing but also that any changes that we wanted made could be made later. Turned out to only be half true.

Well lets see....once we untie their hands and let them run their own centers instead of IE I wonder how much time they have? Well, in between their two hour lunches, dissappearing acts to go take care of personal business instead of running their centers, and early exits to head to the golf course I'd say you are right. Maybe they are too busy.

You are hopeless. How many times do I have say say that we've tried MANY times to get them to fix things. Many of us are still trying. Do you not pay attention to what you read? Pay attention and maybe you can keep up.

pretzel_man

We just started edd a few weeks ago, not a good ideal. what is the great gods thinking? Misloads everyday,pkgs on wrong shelves, pkgs being paled to wrong trucks. For example guns for walmart being paled to the ghetto side of town, thats real smart, The trace in diad is a disaster, tells you to go 5 miles out of town then come back into town. Nothing is right I have to go to an average of 10 stops a day 2 or 3 times, then management says our center is terrible, we are losing money, because of performance etc.

I've had a chance to see many EDD sites. Some are doing poorly, just as is mentioned here. Others are doing great.

Why the difference? Its the same system. I can only conclude that its the people. An I do not mean the preloaders and drivers.

Why is the trace bad, when it only takes minutes to change it in the system?

The label shows the planned car and where in the car the package should go. Why are there misloads? This system was supposed to simplify the job only. There was still a need for training on methods, safety, etc.

If management doesn't take the time to properly set the system up, train the people to properly use it, and follow up on its status.... Well you get the result described here.

The answer is not to make people work harder. It was to make them work smarter. It was supposed to reduce misloads.

Management should attack the misloads and trace. That would smooth things out for everyone and improve the center performance which is their goal.

P-Man

Overpaid Union Thug

It's much easier to sit back, do nothing and complain.

You must be a chat board troll. Who else would continue to make the same rediculous statement over and over even after people have repeatively (with the hope that you'll catch on) stated information that contradicts that statement. So, let's try this one more time.

WE HAVE ATTEMPTED TO GET OUR TRACE FIXED NUMEROUS TIMES. WE CONTINUE TO PUSH FOR THIS AND NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE.

There....you caught that right?

I have ask pas and management very nicely what needs to be done and still nothing, its like they just dont care, what is up with these managers, i am doing all i can to save the company miles and paid hours, but edd tells me to miss businesses, and work 11 hours a day, edd is just not a good thing for now, down the road if they (managers) will do there part things may get better, come on we all work for the BEAST so lets all work togeather to get this promblem fix..

Overpaid Union Thug

I have ask pas and management very nicely what needs to be done and still nothing, its like they just dont care, what is up with these managers, i am doing all i can to save the company miles and paid hours, but edd tells me to miss businesses, and work 11 hours a day, edd is just not a good thing for now, down the road if they (managers) will do there part things may get better, come on we all work for the BEAST so lets all work togeather to get this promblem fix..

I honestly don't know if it's because they don't care. That may or may not be the case. I'm pretty sure the true problem is that the managers and dispatch sups can't run their own centers anymore. They have to answer to IE. IE is too arrogant to fix their problems. The only time anyone from IE has come back to our center since PAS/EDD started it was only because they were there to question everyone about why they ran trace under 85%.

overallowed

We have been using the PAS system in our center for 6 months. It isn't the mess some of you have described, but it is a long way from perfect. We have some problems that were day 1 problems and are still not fixed. These are mainly problems with directional streets, where the pkg has an address label that reads N Main street and the PAL system assign it a S Main label. This is a problem that they can't seem to fix. The town I live in has 2 zip codes, and our system does not have the right addresses with the right zip codes, and this helps pkgs get on the wrong cars. We have tried to work with mgmt to fix the problem, and they say it is fixed, but we show them pkgs with wrong PAL and end up on the wrong cars. I never complain to my customers about the problem, apologize for the inconvience of them not getting pkgs when they are used to it ("I'm sorry" is the easiest thing in the world to say. You don't have to mean it, just say it politely). At the end of the day, I just spend 30+ minutes running misloads. At $42.25 an hour, it is usually an extra $100 a week, plenty for my wife and I to go to dinner and a movie or other entertainment. Until they fix it, it is my cash cow.:greedy:

browniehound

Here is the problem as I see it, and its just my opinion. It comes from corporate. They told the people running the center operations to reduce miles and have each route connected to its surronding route in such a way that every driver in the loop ends in the same area.

This would work great if there was no commit times or headaches such as schools and businesses closing at normal times (unlike the UPS driver).

Previously, routes were set-up and to run a certain trace as to knock off all your businesses and schools in an efficient manner and then some residential that can be done at any hour.

This all changed with PAS, just so work can be added or cut between drivers. Now we have entire office building loaded in section 7000. This doesn't do anybody (company or customers) any good.

We are now told to "break" to make service? It just seems to defeat the purpose in my mind to drive an extra 3 miles to save .5 miles in your return to building miles. It defies logic to do things this way.

I'll try to give you a brief example. I think in my center they want everyone to finish close to the major interstate (This makes excellent sense in most cases), but shouldn't be applied to my route.

He has me starting at the interstate, drving up maple st (a "state" highway into the next town and the back down the othe side of maple st back to the interstate. If this was it, it would be great. But to make the model work, he has me going from here all the way back into the next town (its 2 miles 1 way) to do residentials that are traced back down towards the interstate. So he has me driving the vehicle 2 miles with no delivering!

I do 2 hours off pickups starting at 3 and ending at 5. My final pickup is 50 yards from the interstate. Problem is I have 30 residential to to after that pick-up.

So what I do is run the residential backwards from that pick-up and go back to the building from a secondary road which takes 15 minutes as opposed to driving down to the interstate and back which would take close 30 minutes and more miles.

I hope I was clear in my post. It just doesn't make any sense to me:sick:

browniehound

As for Add/Cuts and leveling the dispatch, they are generally a waste of time. Here is my argument against add/cuts other than the one that needs to be done because driver A has 7.5 hours of work and driver B has 10. This applies to driver A having 8.3 and driver b having 9.5. My arguments against moving 10 stops from B to A:

1. The preloader never finds all 10 stops to be moved so I end going to that area anyway. Mileage saved for each driver=0

2. What is the difference if you pay driver A or B to do the stops? They are both making the same money. 12 of 1 and 1 half dozen of the other!

3. Driver B has to drive to A's and look for that package that the preloader didn't move to driver B's truck.

In the end its a waste of time. How many times have I found a package that wasn't add/cut and went to deliver it and see driver B there. How does this look to our customers.

govols019

You smell that?

We too worked with our PAS team. Little of our input was taken into account. They came in, re-looped the center and then vanished like a fart in the wind.

4 years and two more return trips by the PAS team and it's closer than it was.

reydluap

Yes, he does. He controls the add/cuts. Regardless of how well your DOL may be the add/cuts that are made can kill you. If you have a new dispatch sup like ours, that will not listen, then there comes a time where you just throw your hands up in the air.

It also doesn't help when your center manager is of the opinion that every single driver is just looking to screw the company.

Go back and re-read my post. Read it again. THINK ABOUT IT A MINUTE.

If you can settle your differences with the Center Manager and SHOW HIM/HER a better way to resolve route problems and for their operation report to look better. They will (management) will work with you. Once youe Center Manager gets it...understands what you are saying....you are now working together. He controls the dispatch sup. He is the dispatch sups boss. The Center Manager has to answer to someone. If the operation report improves...he/she improves.

VTBrown. We could talk. We have time and time again tried to show how a persons ATTITUDE makes or breaks their life. Some people just don't get it. Maybe they need to read OUR post again. I don't need to re-type it. And so it goes........

Overpaid Union Thug

Go back and re-read my post. Read it again. THINK ABOUT IT A MINUTE.

If you can settle your differences with the Center Manager and SHOW HIM/HER a better way to resolve route problems and for their operation report to look better. They (management) will work with you. Once your Center Manager gets it...understands what you are saying....you are now working together. He controls the dispatch sup. He is the dispatch sups boss. The Center Manager has to answer to someone. If the operation report improves...he/she improves.

VTBrown. We could talk. We have time and time again tried to show how a persons ATTITUDE makes or breaks their life. Some people just don't get it. Maybe they need to read OUR post again. I don't need to re-type it. And so it goes........

Sounds good....but hasn't worked so far. Didn't a couple of us already say that a couple of times? This conversation is going no where because some of you just aren't listening. HEY! Wouldn't ya know it?....That is the same reason our loops aren't getting fixed!

VTBrown

Perhaps your one of the many drivers who refuse to grasp and understand that their route will and has been changed from PAS. That it will not go back no matter how much you fight it.

Going by your persona here....perhaps you've fought so hard against it, they don't honestly think you want to fix it.

Regardless of what the doom bringers here say. Management does not want us or the company to fail. I've seen great center manager's and bad ones and they all wanted to service the customer and do what is right in most cases.

govols019

You smell that?
You two are pretty dense. We HAVE done what you suggested. I've went in the center manager's office with a map and the DOL and showed him where me and another driver were crossing each other several times a day. His answer, you just run the what we put on your truck.

Another driver while on TAW for an injury took his DOL and made the corrections that were needed. He took it to the dispatch sup who proceeded to throw it away and said he didn't have time to do that.

I wish we all worked in the wonderful UPS environment that ya'll do but the fact is that we don't.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We get paid well to deliver boxes. Why should we have to fix someone elses friend...... up system. I spend too much time being the company sales person, customer service person and the rest of the time I have to explain to people why I'm either late or don't have what I'm supposed to have. PAS should have been put in using the same routes that people with a clue have been tweeking in the name of efficiency and customer service for the last century. Some egghead with a computerized map set us back 20 years. That being said, how about those 11-2 Packers! BM

Overpaid Union Thug

Perhaps your one of the many drivers who refuse to grasp and understand that their route will and has been changed from PAS. That it will not go back no matter how much you fight it.

Going by your persona here....perhaps you've fought so hard against it, they don't honestly think you want to fix it.

Regardless of what the doom bringers here say. Management does not want us or the company to fail. I've seen great center manager's and bad ones and they all wanted to service the customer and do what is right in most cases.

Oh lord. This guy is hopeless.

You two are pretty dense. We HAVE done what you suggested. I've went in the center manager's office with a map and the DOL and showed him where me and another driver were crossing each other several times a day. His answer, you just run the what we put on your truck.

Another driver while on TAW for an injury took his DOL and made the corrections that were needed. He took it to the dispatch sup who proceeded to throw it away and said he didn't have time to do that.

I wish we all worked in the wonderful UPS environment that ya'll do but the fact is that we don't.

Dense? It has to be something like that. How many times do we have to say we've tried in order for them to grasp the idea? I was already starting to suspect VT of being a troll. Now it's possible there are two. I really hope that is the case because if it's not then that means they might really be that dense.