Employees violating the contract?

This seems like the logical thing to do! The problem is our union steward (which is what I believe you mean by shop steward?) is driving one of the trucks this person loads! What a joke!!!! They are good friends & the steward bends over backwards for this person in order to keep them out of trouble! So thanks for the suggestion, but do you have any others?!:dissapointed:

Friends don't let friends work for free.

Integrity

Binge Poster
BigI, the "values, policies and code of business conduct" are just words to the guys who are really running the operations. If you can't see that, it's just because you are so disassociated from the reality of the operation, or you choose not to accept reality. With the exception of my current management team, I've worked for managers who had no integrity and no sense of right and wrong, for most of my three decades. And, if the company's policy of demanding integrity from their managers is dependent on one of their subordinates reporting them to an 800 number, I don't expect you will ever see any changes in the pervasive lack of ethics that abounds among management. You have set up your program for Integrity to fail.

Dustyroads,

Every UPS employee has an obligation to report management people who treat people in violation to UPS values, policies and codes of business conduct.

I know you have been here a long time but there is still time to be a voice for good in UPS. If you are aware or become aware of this type of violation then the 1-800# should be called. If you are tentative or doubt the effectiveness of the 1-800# then feel free to PM me and I will take the information and I will make the call and I will PM the results of the call back to you.

Remember, in order for the call to work, the concern must be valid and it must be done in "good faith", not motivated by malice or retaliation.

You may actually see results.

You sound like you care about people.

Sincerely,

I

Last edited:

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
Yes I really think this. How would he know? There are only a couple of ways that he could know. The center manager could guess and wonder and believe and think he knows but again, there are only a couple of ways he could know. I have experience with a division manager that fits the description of your center manager above, the flaw in these individual's characters that makes it even less likely for them to know or even guess who made the call is that they generally are so out of control and feel they are so untouchable that they commit these violations to UPS values, policies, and codes of conduct to multiple people.

Reality is that there are a lot of unhappy UPS Employees and they are unhappy in part because there are a lot of management people who think they can do what they want to who they want because "that's how it is" at UPS. They give you this "if you don't like it leave" attitude.

They are able to do this because we let them get away with it and we are afraid to make the calls that need to be made.

Well I'm here to tell you that UPS is clear as to our values, policies and code of conduct that each and every employee should expect of themselves and those we work for. Maybe it is high time some of these individuals who fit the "scourge of the earth" billing, as you put it should be put on notice that if they are not able to handle the tough job of upholding the values, policies and code of conduct that their job requires then the employees are going to turn them over to Corporate and let them deal with their nonsense. If they don't like the high character standards and integrity that UPS expects of it's management then maybe they should be the ones to leave.

Sincerely,

I

I - have replied on the Upers website about events at my center and was called into the office the next day. Never again. Cannot help people who do not want to be helped.

UPSSOCKS

They are "your" articles too.

"Your" company entered into that contract. And as I recall, "your" company actively sought a "yes" vote from the bargaining unit for that same contract.

Did the "slap on the wrist" you supposedly received for violating that very same contract cause you to change your behavior towards the hourly who filed that grievance? Or have you simply chosen to disregard the legal agreement that "your" company entered into?

One final question; do you feel that you perform your duties and treat your employees in a manner that reflects Jim Casey's values, and his vision for the company that he founded?

No i told the other employees that are anti-union, that so and so, filed a grievance on me for not treating him/her with dignity and respect. They had a field day on him/her. Now he/she sits alone everyday in the lunch room and eats lunch alone. See I teach my employees that the union is bad. Some of them will do and say anything for me. My new ones tell the union steward they don't want to be in the union. So when they are forced, it turns into resentment torwards the union. Henceforth a p/t sup is created in a teamster body. It only takes one union member that is a traitor to give me the leverage I need. I have a line of employees 30 deep that will sign off on any grievance filed.....

Last edited:

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
Aww Socks wish you worked with me. here's a sample of what it would look like. I like it when managers do things the hard way:happy-very:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
No i told the other employees that are anti-union, that so and so, filed a grievance on me for not treating him/her with dignity and respect. They had a field day on him/her. Now he/she sits alone everyday in the lunch room and eats lunch alone....

Do you consider yourself to be a loyal UPS employee?

Are you aware...or do you even care...that discriminating against an employee for filing a grievance is a violation of labor law, and that your behavior is exposing UPS to a potentially expensive lawsuit?

Do you feel it is fair for you to subject your fellow management people to the financial consequences of such a lawsuit?

And I'm still waiting for an answer to this simple question; do you feel that you perform your duties and treat your employees in a manner that reflects Jim Casey's values, and his vision for the company that he founded?

Lue C Fur

Evil member
And I'm still waiting for an answer to this simple question; do you feel that you perform your duties and treat your employees in a manner that reflects Jim Casey's values, and his vision for the company that he founded?

Its like the 4th time you have asked him that question. Maybe he is having a hard time comming up with the answer.

soberups

I don't answer to the help sorry.

As a management person, is it not your responsibility to answer questions and set an example for your people to follow?

Do you feel that you are truly leading by example?

And do you feel that you perform your duties and treat your employees in a manner that reflects Jim Casey's values, and his vision for the company that he founded?

UPSSOCKS

As a management person, is it not your responsibility to answer questions and set an example for your people to follow?

Do you feel that you are truly leading by example?

And do you feel that you perform your duties and treat your employees in a manner that reflects Jim Casey's values, and his vision for the company that he founded?

Do you feel that every teamster lives and dies by "a fair days work for a fair days pay?" Don't lecture me about my duties and responsibilities. I know my job and I do it very well. As for your question...

I don't answer to the help.....

soberups

Do you feel that every teamster lives and dies by "a fair days work for a fair days pay?" Don't lecture me about my duties and responsibilities. I know my job and I do it very well. ..

So are you implying that the failure of some Teamsters to live up to the expectations that you have placed upon them....somehow justifies placing your fellow management people at risk by engaging in behavior that exposes your company to a lawsuit?

soberups

As for your question...

Would Jim Casey have been willing to answer an honest question from an employee?

Do you feel that you perform your duties and treat your employees in a manner that reflects Jim Casey's values, and his vision for the company that he founded?

Integrity

Binge Poster
I know my job and I do it very well. As for your question...

Dear UPSSOCKS,

I don't know you very well but you are very outspoken and that is a good thing to keep unjust corporate entiities in check.

I don't support and disagree with a lot of the content of your posts.

I think you should know that no matter who has hurt, angered or betrayed you that it is you who are responsible for your actions and words.

Be outspoke for good. Not bad!

To the point of my post:

Any management person who doesn't embrace the values, policies and codes of conduct set forth by UPS and seek to meet them and make them more and more of a reality in the workplace , knows very little about their job responsibilities and cannot be credited with even knowing how to do their job well.

I mean no disrespect but to the level you meet this standard is the level by which your success or failure will truly be measure here at UPS.

Sincerely,

I

blue efficacy

We had to sign off on the sexual harrassment policy yesterday. (probably because I filed a compalint with the DM). LOL The thing is that they don't enforce it. All yesterday was, was whitewash on a fence that is crumbling underneath. It's the same ol same ol.
A woman in a male dominated job who can't deal with guys in good humor is like a bull in a china shop.

soberups

A woman in a male dominated job who can't deal with guys in good humor is like a bull in a china shop.

There is sort of a damned-if-you-do damned-if-you-dont aspect to "inappropriate" jokes and language and sexual harassment.

On the one hand, it is patently wrong for a bunch of crude guys to demean or degrade a female coworker, or create a hostile and offensive climate.

On the other hand...if a woman walks in to a room full of guys who immediately shut up in order to avoid saying anything that might offend her...that in and of itself can be hostile and unwelcoming.

I used to eat lunch with a couple of the other guys in my loop every day. We would engage in the standard "guy talk" which included the occasional dirty joke or sexual innuendo.

We had a female relief driver in the center who knew all the routes in that loop and she started eating lunch with us when she was on one of them. This was about 15 yrs ago when "sexual harassment" was becoming a hot-button issue, and us guys started clamming up whenever she ate with us for fear of being offensive.

She was intuitive enough to pick up on it, and rather than deal with the awkward silence, she blew us out of the water by sharing a few raunchy jokes of her own in order to break the ice and become a welcome member of the group.

This in turn led to a truly open and honest 2-way discussion about sexual harassment, where we were all able to truthfully share our points of view and figure out what was and wasnt appropriate.

She was able to be "one of the guys", while us "guys" were able to learn the difference between harmless humour and truly inappropriate behavior. And we were even able to ask one another for marital advice as far as how to deal with our spouses. It was an elightening experience for all of us.

I learned a lot more from that exchange than I ever did from some bland corporate "policy statement" being read aloud at a PCM.