FedEx cry babies

bbsam

Staff member
You could be right. I'm not saying owning a business doesn't cost money but when certain route owners are going out of country for vacation every other month and drive to "work" in a Corvette while their employees have to take a bus, I'm calling b.s. on saying they can't afford to pay their employees a bit more.
Again, a contractor could run a company into the ground for years before having it fall apart. Or he can be realistic about the costs involved and be sustainable. Or he could have a ri have daddy who bought routes for him. Nick who used to post on here seemed to have a lot of those around him. Fact is, there isn't a lot you can tell from talking to a lot of contractors because many of them are blissfully ignorant to one or more aspects of their operations.

Point in fact. I gave some raises last year . Felt fine about it. Problem was that I didn't factor in the increased $9400 that would have to go to paying work/comp insurance on those raises.

There's a lot of moving parts. Much of what you see and hear is muck and shine.

dezguy

Again, a contractor could run a company into the ground for years before having it fall apart. Or he can be realistic about the costs involved and be sustainable. Or he could have a ri have daddy who bought routes for him. Nick who used to post on here seemed to have a lot of those around him. Fact is, there isn't a lot you can tell from talking to a lot of contractors because many of them are blissfully ignorant to one or more aspects of their operations.

Point in fact. I gave some raises last year . Felt fine about it. Problem was that I didn't factor in the increased $9400 that would have to go to paying work/comp insurance on those raises.

That was good of you to give raises. Fact of the matter is, I don't know you. You could be lying to everyone or you could be one of the good employeers at FedEx Ground, we'll never really know.

I base my opinion off of Ground drivers I speak with and their employers whom I speak with when they are covering routes. One Ground guy on my route has a kid with a disability. He has made the same wage for what has to be 3 or 4 years now. At one point he went to his boss to ask for benefits for his kid instead of a raise, to which his boss said he couldn't afford it. According to this driver, 2 weeks later, this route owner pulled into work in a brand new Dodge Challenger SRT.

It is this sort of behaviour that leads me to my opinion.

bbsam

Staff member
Safety consultant?
I've suggested it before. Do you realize what you could make it in that position? ! And for about 10 hours a week or less if you wanted. Safety meetings, class room here and there for a driving class for those with no driving experience. Oh, yeah, easy money.

bbsam

Staff member
That was good of you to give raises. Fact of the matter is, I don't know you. You could be lying to everyone or you could be one of the good employeers at FedEx Ground, we'll never really know.

I base my opinion off of Ground drivers I speak with and their employers whom I speak with when they are covering routes. One Ground guy on my route has a kid with a disability. He has made the same wage for what has to be 3 or 4 years now. At one point he went to his boss to ask for benefits for his kid instead of a raise, to which his boss said he couldn't afford it. According to this driver, 2 weeks later, this route owner pulled into work in a brand new Dodge Challenger SRT.

It is this sort of behaviour that leads me to my opinion.
Did you give the driver an Express application?

MAKAVELI

You have posted on here long ago that you make six figures. So based on that, yes you can afford to pay a little more. So excuse me if I don't shed a tear for your increased wc costs.;)

bbsam

Staff member
Did he have to go out and buy a $70 000 vehicle two weeks after he told one of his employees he couldn't afford to give him benefits for his kid? The guy is only being paid $12 an hour and has been for quite a while now.
Fact is, he could be telling the truth. He could afford the car and not afford the insurance because if he offers it to one employee, by law he has to offer it to all. So the contractor can afford $950 per month for 6 years a car but not $2500 per month (and probably going up every year) for insurance for 5 drivers. Yes, the optics are ugly but that's just the muck and shine.

bbsam

Staff member
You have posted on here long ago that you make six figures. So based on that, yes you can afford to pay a little more. So excuse me if I don't shed a tear for your increased wc costs.;)
Not looking for tears. But costs are what they are. $30k in raises + 17.9% work comp + 7.5% employer match social security...well, it adds up.

It will be fine

The biggest factor in what a contractor can afford is his debt load. If they had to buy all their routes, they won't be able afford much. For a while if you were a good multiple route owner you could pick up routes for free when contractors got terminated. That and buying routes for cash goes a long way in being able to pay decent wages. I don't mind paying myself back at next to no interest on the routes I bought with cash, especially considering what I bought years ago is worth much more today.
That and greed. Greedy jerks won't pay well regardless of their finances.

bbsam

Staff member
Did he have to go out and buy a $70 000 vehicle two weeks after he told one of his employees he couldn't afford to give him benefits for his kid? The guy is only being paid $12 an hour and has been for quite a while now.
Also that Challenger may be a corporate vehicle and thus a tax write off.

WestcoastHD

Massive Stinkies
I'm back! And also, I work a pretty urbanized area, so I see the UPS, Express, and FX Ground guy all the time. Paid per stop is the most efficient way for a contractor to pay an employee. If volume is low, the contractor doesn't lose anything. Both employee and route owners income are dependent upon volume. Paid per stop guarantees the contractor will always be able to afford pay roll. I'm a different scenario VS a Midwest route with low volume. I have benefits from a second party, so I don't need them from my employer. Even if I worked somewhere with a benefits package, I'd opt out of it because my healthcare is top notch and hardly costs me anything.

I steadily clear gross over $1100 a week. I work my ass off for it, but it sure beats MvDonalds. Ground/HD isn't for lazy people, if you want to earn big you have to work hard. Performance based pay (pay per stop) makes it very profitable for myself. I often do my route plus 40 stops from the route next door to me. The boss man isn't going to give you 200 stops if he knows you're going to have 50 DNAs. So you work your ass off and secure a solid paycheck.

Is it a career? For me, no. But there's plenty of drivers in my terminal who own houses and have been there for 10 years or more.

You can tell what contractors pay VS those that don't just by looking who pulls up to work in what vehicle. My company all drive late model newer vehicles. But you also see a ton of jalopys in the parking lot. You get what you put in it to it. I give it my all and I do very well.

dezguy

To a crappy company that will blow sunshine and cut him when he needs it most? Shame on you. How do you sleep at night?

Did he get hired?
He asked me if I would and, knowing his situation and the fact he is a good worker, I had no issues with vouching for the guy. At the end of the day, he will start out making almost $5/hour more and have benefits after 90 days.

He knows what Express is all about and knows he will be PT 5 years or more. In the end, he's decided he'd rather move on from his current employer rather than be handed a raw deal by his current employer. The Purolator gal and UPS guys on my route have also handed in a resume for him.

I sleep just fine at night as I have warned him as to what he would be getting into and he's ok with it.

All hiring is now done out of HQ. If and when a position comes up (which they don't often as I'm at a small station) he will have to go through their hiring process. My boss can tell HQ who he'd like for them to interview but in the end, it is their decision on who gets a phone interview and who doesn't.