Feeder Drivers, Beware of 53' Containers

trouble maker

I pull those things every night just about out of the meadowlands. They are junk. I use wire ties on the corners. I can't get over on how many of them (the ones I pull to the railyard) don't have anything at all. Cable seals are a good idea. I also carry a small sledgehammer to close the doors.

brett636

I usually see a cach driver every night at my normal stop and he was telling me about this. I had a railyard run that I got off of as soon as I could because those trailers are such trash. Anyone pulling them needs to be VERY careful and scrutinize every little thing that may be wrong with it.

curiousbrain

Out of curiosity, the ULD numbers on these - are they unique at all? I'd like to give the feeder guys in my area a heads up if they haven't already heard about this; however, all the 53s around here start with TFVP - just trying to have something more to tell them so they can anticipate the problem.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I was coming home from Albany on the Northway Sunday night in high winds and there was a semi and trailer (not one of ours) on it's side in the median.

This wasnt a matter of them blowing over ,D, but rather the two pieces of trailer separating. Getting blown over is a whole nother ballgame.

Come on; you know Nancy has put it his two cents worth on every thread, while criticizing others who he perceives to be the same way.

Out of curiosity, the ULD numbers on these - are they unique at all? I'd like to give the feeder guys in my area a heads up if they haven't already heard about this; however, all the 53s around here start with TFVP - just trying to have something more to tell them so they can anticipate the problem.

These are the 60xxxx series of UPSU containers. The tan ones from china. The problem is based on the chassis rather than the box itself.

Just by paying a little more attention today I find this trl two bays over when I spotted one on the wall.

image.jpg image.jpg

Both of the front retainers are obviously bent and have nowhere near the strength they would have if straight. Both should be laying flat against the visible guidebar. If you look it is clearly visible that the pin is not all the way into the frame by at least an inch or two. That's an inch or two less pin to hold the chassis to the container.

Unfortunately the person who ziptied the retainers and brought the trailer in prob didn't know any better. I saw this and called it in and had the trl redtagged so it won't enter he system once its unloaded.
image.jpg
image.jpg

QKRSTKR

New guy question. What exactly should I be looking for when pulling a container. Do the pins in question lock when they put the box on the chasis? We have containers in our yard for sure. The ones I see are usually zip tied. I just don't want to make a mistake like this or miss something I dont know about.

lazydriver

This morning at dispatch all feeder drivers had to read and sign a letter saying they checked and zip tied the chassis. Does this mean if it falls off it's the driver's fault?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Just by paying a little more attention today I find this trl two bays over when I spotted one on the wall.

View attachment 8513 View attachment 8514

Both of the front retainers are obviously bent and have nowhere near the strength they would have if straight. Both should be laying flat against the visible guidebar. If you look it is clearly visible that the pin is not all the way into the frame by at least an inch or two. That's an inch or two less pin to hold the chassis to the container.

Unfortunately the person who ziptied the retainers and brought the trailer in prob didn't know any better. I saw this and called it in and had the trl redtagged so it won't enter he system once its unloaded.

Sorry, cach, I'm just in package, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to see in your pictures.

I'd really like to figure it out.

New guy question. What exactly should I be looking for when pulling a container. Do the pins in question lock when they put the box on the chasis? We have containers in our yard for sure. The ones I see are usually zip tied. I just don't want to make a mistake like this or miss something I dont know about.

In the two pics above, if you were standing on the ground and facing the chassis, you'll see the left and right front retaining pin areas. There is the silver retainer bolted on one end to the reinforcement bar/pin slot guide bar, it is ziptied to the pin handle, the pin handle is welded to the pin at a 90' angle and is used to push or pull the pin in the pin slot/pin sleeve at the front of the chassis.
A correct pair of retainers (silver) will be flat and parallel to the heavier reinforcement/guide bar. That gives it the maximum strength and pushes the pin back as far as possible into the slot/sleeve and into the matching hole on the container box.
ANYTHING other than that is incorrect and needs to be repaired/chassis swapped. Period. Do not pass go. No "hot load",etc. Stand your ground on this one gentlemen. It's not a burned out licsence plate bulb.
The ones in the pictures are clearly not parallel and that trl should not have hit the street. But, as we are learning the hard way, the vast majority of us didn't know better. Driver and mgmt alike. Yes they are ziptied but because of the nature of the bend have almost none of the strength and do NOT push the pin back nearly as far as it should be.

In the back the pins rotate a full 90' and are held in place by their own retainers. I'm working on getting pics of good and bad rear pins so stay tuned.

This morning at dispatch all feeder drivers had to read and sign a letter saying they checked and zip tied the chassis. Does this mean if it falls off it's the driver's fault?

One, I hope everyone RTS' those letters.
Two, if what you've posted is all that was on said letter, I would have asked:

Checked? What am I checking for?
What is an example of the good and bad I am checking for?
What is the procedures when I find bad?
Ziptie? In what way? How does this ensure safety?
Can you please demonstrate exactly what you want us to look for and do?
In doing so am I in compliance with DOT ,federal ,and state and local laws?
As an outgoing trailer may travel to our buildings nationwide is this the national UPS policy?
May I have a copy,signed by you, for my personal records as being the official method in which I have been trained?

The letter you were asked to sign is a knee jerk reaction to what is being discovered with these chassis containers. No one, company or union , is taking a definitive stance at the moment here because no one knows 100% what the absolute correct answer is. We're discovering new stuff every hour. The good side is it has everyone talking and sharing expieriance which is helping to eliminate the guessing.

To answer your question if the driver can be held responsible. Did he " run and gun" half ass it? Then sure. If he is working to established procedures, and therein lies the catch as up till now what has been established procedure? Make sure the retainer locks onto the handle and Ziptie? What was a correct retainer? What is the best way to secure it? Two weeks ago I would have given you a different answer. I'm just as guilty as I would have brought the pictured trl back myself as it would have met the described procedure at the time. I, we, did not know better. Now I do.

And then piss them off by still RTSing.

Last edited:

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
One, I hope everyone RTS' those letters.
Two, if what you've posted is all that was on said letter, I would have asked:

Checked? What am I checking for?
What is an example of the good and bad I am checking for?
What is the procedures when I find bad?
Ziptie? In what way? How does this ensure safety?
Can you please demonstrate exactly what you want us to look for and do?
In doing so am I in compliance with DOT ,federal ,and state and local laws?
As an outgoing trailer may travel to our buildings nationwide is this the national UPS policy?
May I have a copy,signed by you, for my personal records as being the official method in which I have been trained?

The letter you were asked to sign is a knee jerk reaction to what is being discovered with these chassis containers. No one, company or union , is taking a definitive stance at the moment here because no one knows 100% what the absolute correct answer is. We're discovering new stuff every hour. The good side is it has everyone talking and sharing expieriance which is helping to eliminate the guessing.

To answer your question if the driver can be held responsible. Did he " run and gun" half ass it? Then sure. If he is working to established procedures, and therein lies the catch as up till now what has been established procedure? Make sure the retainer locks onto the handle and Ziptie? What was a correct retainer? What is the best way to secure it? Two weeks ago I would have given you a different answer. I'm just as guilty as I would have brought the pictured trl back myself as it would have met the described procedure at the time. I, we, did not know better. Now I do.

And then piss them off by still RTSing.

Here is where you put the rubber to the pavement. In other words, I just say, "Come show me. This picture confuses me. I can't put my signature on something I have no knowledge of. Give me a real world, working example of this picture."

I've told a bunch of drivers in my area about this, but no one has heard anything about this. Our hee haw bunch hasn't brought out any papers or info regarding this. Typical management. Surely they've heard about this. They'll probably wait until it happens up here, then blame the driver.

Today I redtagged 5 trailer chassis. The bad thing is three were already on property meaning another driver either found them acceptable or more likely didn't know what to look for. It's not like it's hard to see. Anyone can pick it out at a glance.

004.jpg 003.jpg
Left pin retainer Right pin retainer
Not going to retain much bent past a 45* angle. That ziptie will help a whole lot.

005.jpg This one complies with lazydriver's mgmt letter, right? It was checked, it's in the down position, and it has the all saving ziptie.

006.jpg Except with the slightest finger pressure upward the improperly applied ziptie allows the retainer to swing up enough that the pin handle will clear and allow the pin to go forward with no trouble. But, it complies.

007.jpg An example of a proper operating (factory original) retainer on the right side of chassis. Improperly applied ziptie but we can't have everything.

009.jpg However, on the left side of the same chassis is a POS replacement retainer that is bent so bad it is almost 90* to the main guide bar. That ziptie makes for lovely decoration. Might as well be a bow as it is about as useful.

010.jpg The underside view of the pin on the good side. Lots of solid steel to keep you safe and a good retainer to make sure it stays there.

011.jpg The underside view on the bad side. I had to change the angle to get the pin in the picture it was so far back. It's like this because the driver pulled the pin handle back to get the bent retainer to hook over it. He might as well have taken it out entirely and thrown it away.

012.jpg A side angle of the bad retainer showing how far the pin had to be pulled out to meet the bent retainer.

013.jpg This one I was supposed to bring back from the railyard. Tough choice here. Latch severely bent retainer over pin handle OR push pin in to where its supposed to be. Redtag.

014.jpg The RR pin on the same trailer. Those rocket scientists at BNSF loaded the container on top of the locked pin. Fully loaded thats a 70k lb box pushing down on that pin. The container needs to be lifted off completely so the pin can be unlocked and the container put in it's proper place. Believe it or not drivers have driven down the highway with pins like this. Between the front pin and this the container was halfway to falling off.

015.jpg This looks ok, right? U shaped pin handle meets up with a retainer. Ziptie that puppy up and hit the road. Except..........that retainer is mounted incorrectly. It should be on the opposite side of its mounting point at the bolt. It's position properly mounted would allow several inches of handle to protrude past it for proper securing. As pictured it rests on less than 1/2" of handle. One jiggle and its off.

016.jpg The other rear retainer on the same trailer. WTF is this toolbox spare parts abortion? In the pic the pin is swiveled into the locked position. Now to secure it to the retainer just drop the slot over the handle. Uh, now wheres that slot?

018.jpg Here it is! Drops over rather nicely.........sorta. Except to get tab A to meet slot B I had to rotate the pin 90* unlocking it. They don't hold containers down too well that way. What to choose, what to choose.

019.jpg Saved my favorite for last. Right front retainer on chassis. Bent so bad it broke at upper right. Met someones standards as they put the almighty ziptie on it. Ok for travel as it was found on property.

020.jpg The left front retainer. Bent so bad that neither side made contact with the pin handle at all. I know, lets put a 1/8" piece of plastic in place to keep the pin in. I was able to reach up from underneath the chassis and push the pin forward unlocking it.
004.jpg
003.jpg
005.jpg
006.jpg
007.jpg
009.jpg
010.jpg
011.jpg
012.jpg
013.jpg
014.jpg
015.jpg