Feeder Drivers, Beware of 53' Containers

GameCockFan

The thing about those container trailers is they never even cover the locking pins in training. We have lots of newer drivers who had no idea that they even had locking pins on them. Much less that they need to be checked.

This. Never checked. Never knew it. I've never been to the rail yard either. Occasionally pull a 28 ft on a chassis.

TSFZ910430 Left Front Pin 2.jpg Fairly straight retainer meets pin handle at the front. Has a ziptie. Everything looks good,right?

TSFZ910430 Left Front Pin.jpg A closer look above and here shows that the retainer mounting point is just a chunk of threaded rod that has been welded ,poorly, to a pin guide sleeve that's in bad condition itself.

TSFZ910430 Right Front Pin 2.jpg The other side stands out a little better. A piece of threaded rod welded to the pin guide sleeve. Better yet notice the nut that is a completely different size, so large it just spins on the rod. The master trailer mechanic kept it from falling off by placing a weld blob on the rod.

TSFZ910430 Right Front Pin.jpg Here's a better view. Who wants to hedge their safety against this kind of maintenance.

Don't look just at the retainers. Look at what the chassis looks like around it. Redtag!
TSFZ910430 Left Front Pin 2.jpg
TSFZ910430 Left Front Pin.jpg
TSFZ910430 Right Front Pin 2.jpg
TSFZ910430 Right Front Pin.jpg

norcal10

Hey cach,
Now I'm just curious here but do the gypsies who pull these empty know about this? We have the gypsies who pull empties back to the rail yard

Hey cach,
Now I'm just curious here but do the gypsies who pull these empty know about this? We have the gypsies who pull empties back to the rail yard

Are they responsible to pretrip just like any other driver? Yes. Do they? If they're like the ones who shuttle trailers in crosstown work here, HELL NO.

We'll just call this "What were they thinking?"

005.jpg Driver secured the front pin retainer with a ziptie. Didn't look close enough to see retainer is cracked and hanging by a thread. Cracks rusty too so that means it's been circulating in the system for a while.

007.jpg Here is a front retainer so bent out of shape that the pin handle is pulled so far back to meet it that the pin is only 1/2" at best in the container.

008.jpg A shot from underneath.

009.jpg A shot from above also showing the container is not up against the front of the chassis.

An average 53' container is easily in the 50-60 thousand pound range. Do you really want it retained like this?
005.jpg
007.jpg
008.jpg
009.jpg

over9five

Staff member
Tonight's load. BOTH front pins were like this. Not only all the way out, but tiewrapped that way. This means the trailer already came over the road like this.
P.S. we still haven't heard of the problems Cach had with the trailers falling off. This is huge, something bad will happen....

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
We'll just call this "What were they thinking?"

View attachment 8597 Driver secured the front pin retainer with a ziptie. Didn't look close enough to see retainer is cracked and hanging by a thread. Cracks rusty too so that means it's been circulating in the system for a while.

View attachment 8598 Here is a front retainer so bent out of shape that the pin handle is pulled so far back to meet it that the pin is only 1/2" at best in the container.

View attachment 8599 A shot from underneath.

View attachment 8600 A shot from above also showing the container is not up against the front of the chassis.

An average 53' container is easily in the 50-60 thousand pound range. Do you really want it retained like this?

It amazes me how few drivers do a proper pre and post trip inspection. I irritate the mechanics I deal with, if for no other reason than they see me all of the time. When they sigh when I come back to the shop, I just tell them, "Don't blame me, blame all of the other drivers who don't do what I do." At least twice a week I go to the shop to change safety pins for the dolly because I will not zip tie a used-up pin. And the list goes on. One of my pet peeves is drivers who just ignore tires low on air. This happens all of the time. Most likely, it's because they get a little pressure about on-property times and won't man up and say screw on-property if it means they have to rush a pre or post trip. Nothing worse than a lazy driver passing his problem on to the next driver.

Having said all of that, the 6XXXXX rail boxes I see are in good shape. We're only 500 miles down the road from you cahsux. But as many rush-rush drivers that we have, it probably is only a matter of time before someone screws the pooch with one of these junkers.

lazydriver

Get with your supervisor to train you on what to look for about these chassis. Hopefully they will be knowledgeable about it. I have refused last year several times pulling these trailers because of chassis problems. I called the dispatched told them the problem and asked for a different trailer. Sometimes the piggy packers get lazy and don't release all the pins on the chassis and when the pull the box off they end up bending the pins. Afterwards they become difficult to engage completely. The shop steward said to me to get your sup to train you properly. I initialed the letter and wrote on it that I had not been trained on how to secure these chassis.

image.jpg

The ultimate in half ass repairs. To hold the front pin in place on the handle they used a nail. I guess they were out of chewing gum.
image.jpg

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Old thread,,I know !!
but I had one last nite going to rail with no front zip ties,and needed a fork truck to close the doors which a 20 LB sledge couldn't do ....Upper rods bent....then on top of that it was 100 % full ,,felt like trailer was driving me !
These things got to be overweight on a single screw tractor !! My tractor mud flaps were scraping the ground !!
I HATE THESE DAM THINGS !!!!

MaceFremonti

On my new run I have the pleasure of doing strictly railyard runs two days out of the week. Literally everyone of these that I pull has an issue - no lights, no registration, broken pins, no pins, container sitting ON front pins.....the list is endless.

Akin to pulling doubles we should get "container pay"! :D:D:D:D

Sent using BrownCafe App

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
On my last run I pulled from a railyard every night, they had a shop there that would fix most problems and anything they couldn't handle I would just contact the office and make them do a chassis swap.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
The UPS 600 series seem like they have the better chassis,,but the CSXU and the UMXU trailers are just an accident waiting to happen, I really thing that they should only be pulled with a twin screw, I agree with the extra pay on these thing,,lol