Feeder drivers

Boonie

Okay, is it possible for a noob straight out of CDL school to get hired on as a seasonal feeder driver? And, if so, how long would it take said seasonal feeder driver to get a part-time feeder position? What are the closest feeder locations to southeastern Indiana?

2Slow

Possible?
Its possible that Scarlet Johanssen is going to show up at my house tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath.

If you really want to do feeders, get hired at a big hub (nearest to southeastern Indiana are Indianapolis, louisville, Columbus Ohio, or Lexington). Take the first full time job you can get (probably delivery) then wait.

Boonie

How do I look up the big Louisville hub without finding all the little shops where customers drop off their packages as well?

Boonie

Thanks. You have been the most helpful of all. It's really hard to get any actual helpful information these days. My husband got hurt on the job. We have two kids at home and now no insurance. I work at home on the computer making decent money, but again, no insurance. Also, it is a dream of mine to forge a new career path driving a TT. Just trying to figure out what options are available and how long it's going to take and what company is best to work for - Parcel or Freight. Everyone says the feeders pay the most in wages and benefits. Yes, I understand that it will take time to get to the point of becoming a feeder driver. Can someone explain a day in the life of a feeder driver? What if I wanted to transfer to Freight for some reason, or vice versa to the Parcel side? Someone from Freight already explained to me what the Freight drivers do and how much they make. Do feeders ever get to work nights?

2Slow

Well, first of all, it takes most people 5 to 15 years at UPS to get into feeders, you should know that up front.
If you got your cdl, you might be better off looking at other companies.

Boonie

Well, first of all, it takes most people 5 to 15 years at UPS to get into feeders, you should know that up front.
If you got your cdl, you might be better off looking at other companies.

Is the only reason you say that because it would take so long? If so, I'd rather do the time and pay the dues. UPS seems to be the way to go. I don't have my CDL yet. Right now, my foot is in the door as a driver helper in a very, very small terminal, hoping to get that on the resume so it will look good having the folks at UPS say good things about me.

menotyou

bella amicizia
In some areas, you can walk in the door and get hired. Other places, you wait. Depends on geography and what UPS needs at the time. It is their game and they change the rules as they see fit.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
In some areas, you can walk in the door and get hired. Other places, you wait. Depends on geography and what UPS needs at the time. It is their game and they change the rules as they see fit.
Anything and everything UPS does is dependant upon what they need at the time and the rules are only convenient if it suits their needs.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Anything and everything UPS does is dependant upon what they need at the time and the rules are only convenient if it suits their needs.
I am sorry that you had to find that out in the manner you did. I have been accused of theft. It hurts. It pisses you off. You work your ass of for these bastards and they have absolutely no integrity. I got the security manager back. He decided to cal me a felonious thief. Complete lie. So, I returned the favor. Hehehehehehe
told it right to his little beeatch of a second in command. I had to get him a shovel to out his jaw up. I loved every minute of it. Hehehehehe hehehehe such fun.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I am sorry that you had to find that out in the manner you did. I have been accused of theft. It hurts. It pisses you off. You work your ass of for these bastards and they have absolutely no integrity. I got the security manager back. He decided to cal me a felonious thief. Complete lie. So, I returned the favor. Hehehehehehe
told it right to his little beeatch of a second in command. I had to get him a shovel to out his jaw up. I loved every minute of it. Hehehehehe hehehehe such fun.
Ooooh, I learned this a long time ago. This is not my first rodeo. I've filed an NLRB before and won it. They just have to be reminded once in awhile. And, yes! I am pissed off. I pick my battles, I make sure I can win them.

raceanoncr

Okay, is it possible for a noob straight out of CDL school to get hired on as a seasonal feeder driver? And, if so, how long would it take said seasonal feeder driver to get a part-time feeder position? What are the closest feeder locations to southeastern Indiana?

Boonie, usually seasonal drivers are SEASONED drivers. Notice I didn't say GOOD, I just said SEASONED. UPS usually doesn't spend as much training time on seasonal as what will become permanant drivers so usually want some that have been behind the wheel some. Now, before everyone gets their hackles up and says that ain't so, notice I said, "USUALLY". It may or may not be the case in your part of the country but it has been here in the Midwest. Here, I have never seen a "noob" straight out of school get a job.

"Part-time position"? Here, as well as most parts of the country, there are no "part-time feeder drivers". You may have some PTers that fill in for regular driver on occasion or FT package drivers that will fill in for a vacationing feeder driver but there are no regular PT drivers. All feeder work is FT.

As was said, if you want a feeder career at UPS, you best bet is to become a FT package or delivery driver but then the wait is usually incredibly long.

Again, I say, HERE and USUALLY. This may not be the case at you location. It surely wouldn't hurt to try, tho.

Good luck.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
It takes a long time to get into feeders. Depending on the operation, anywhere from 5 to 20+ years. It took me 18 years of delivery driving before I made it into feeders. Then I spent 5 long years doing coverage work(vacations, sick days, ETC.). Then I finally made it full time, and have been in feeders for 6 years full time. Thats right, I have 29 full time years with UPS, and I am the junior man in feeders at my work location.

2Slow

It takes a long time to get into feeders. Depending on the operation, anywhere from 5 to 20+ years. It took me 18 years of delivery driving before I made it into feeders. Then I spent 5 long years doing coverage work(vacations, sick days, ETC.). Then I finally made it full time, and have been in feeders for 6 years full time. Thats right, I have 29 full time years with UPS, and I am the junior man in feeders at my work location.

This is very typical, especially in small and medium sized locations. Like I said, if feeders is your goal, try to get hired at a building with a large feeder operation. In my local (and most, I expect) package car drivers have the first shot at it when feeders is needing drivers. It only goes to combo if they can't get enough candidates who can qualify. I have seen feeders taking from part time here, but that doesn't happen in most places. As someone stated, it's all about what ups needs at that moment. Good luck, enjoy package car! :-)

Boonie

Geeze, I take it that all of the feeder drivers where you live are old and grey?

Can you explain a day in the life of a feeder driver? What is the exact job description? By the way, I have a pretty good idea, but I'd like to know how it compares to Freight.