Feeder Work Question

tieguy

Banned
Where did you learn that an ad hominem attack is relevant to any discussion? My "pitifull" education taught me that use of ad hominem attacks in debate is often a sign of something; can you guess what it is?

You're admitting to a physical shortcoming?:happy-very:

My sympathies.

Extra credit for the injection of old school latin into the discussion. :happy-very:

705red

Browncafe Steward
I understand your point , but I'm not sure that there is any classic definition of what is our work based on pallets and floor loading. I would think we would have to know the entire operating plan and why the shipper is moving it as freight.
If this company was putting 50 small packages with ups labels on a skid and shrink wrap the skid and than put a freight label on the skid, which was then moved by freight to their warehouse and then sorted the loose packages from the skid to us again maybe you have an argument.

But if these packages with our labels are loaded loosely in a trailer and driven by freight, it better be a grievance because that is our work.

tieguy

Banned
If this company was putting 50 small packages with ups labels on a skid and shrink wrap the skid and than put a freight label on the skid, which was then moved by freight to their warehouse and then sorted the loose packages from the skid to us again maybe you have an argument.

But if these packages with our labels are loaded loosely in a trailer and driven by freight, it better be a grievance because that is our work.

All worthy arguments. I don't know if this conversation can progress without anymore information on what the shipper is doing with these packages.

Fullhouse

If you don't mind did the local try to do something or was there just nothing that could even be attempted?
The union did not act. I had all the info and they just let it go by the wayside. I think they may have a cozy relationship with UPS.

Last edited:
I had a piece of plastic sheet delivered from WW Grainger this week by a UPS Freight driver. Now when I was in package I delivered pkgs this size,I see stuff this size at the Cach everyday,yet this 1 piece was delivered into a residential area by a guy driving a tractor with a 48 ft trailer. I even had to go down to the main road and block traffic so this guy could back out cause he sure as hell wasn`t going to turn it around. I talked to him about it and he said stuff like this has been showing up.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I had a piece of plastic sheet delivered from WW Grainger this week by a UPS Freight driver. Now when I was in package I delivered pkgs this size,I see stuff this size at the Cach everyday,yet this 1 piece was delivered into a residential area by a guy driving a tractor with a 48 ft trailer. I even had to go down to the main road and block traffic so this guy could back out cause he sure as hell wasn`t going to turn it around. I talked to him about it and he said stuff like this has been showing up.
Cach pm me with the info or if you still have my phone number please call me with it. We have been trying to keep an eye on this for several weeks now. Do you still have the package info?

Nothing the matter with calling the cops either for this vehicle obviously being over weight in a residential neighborhood.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I dont mean to sound like Im a company man but the fact that 6 pages later and the one point that seems to keep being overlooked is that these packages are still in the UPS system. Maybe there is a feeder job or two that have been sacrificed but how many delivery jobs have been saved. Regardless of how those packages get to the hub it still takes indivisual drivers to deliver each one of them. If anything this has actually saved jobs as opposed to eliminate them. Besides here on the west coast feeder drivers just go back to package, so infact there is no loss of a paycheck for you or any other UPS employee. On behalf of other package drivers Thank You, and we look forward to seeing you at the PCM.

gandydancer

I dont mean to sound like Im a company man but the fact that 6 pages later and the one point that seems to keep being overlooked is that these packages are still in the UPS system. Maybe there is a feeder job or two that have been sacrificed but how many delivery jobs have been saved. Regardless of how those packages get to the hub it still takes indivisual drivers to deliver each one of them. If anything this has actually saved jobs as opposed to eliminate them. Besides here on the west coast feeder drivers just go back to package, so infact there is no loss of a paycheck for you or any other UPS employee. On behalf of other package drivers Thank You, and we look forward to seeing you at the PCM.

I understand there are some DHL drivers looking for gigs. Maybe they'd work cheaper than you. With lower prices we should be able to pick up enough volume so there'd still be a job for you, back in the hub.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Great another person that is not in feeder and not directly effected by this, I'm not in feeder either. When should we start to worry about our jobs being done by non-upsers?

If we don't try and stop this now, maybe in a couple years you can come back on here crying how the union allowed this and now you have been replaced by cheaper labor. This is the problem with upsers, they only worry about what affects them and until it does they don't care!

Have you seen the earnings report? Ups small package is down yet freight has grown 99%, wonder how many of your stops that took to increase freights profit?

Well in the case of the package that showed up at my house it was 1 package not picked up by feeder or package and 1 package not delivered by a package driver. Looks like we both lost out ,huh. On the bright side,as sharp as you are, you can always fall back on that rocket scientist position with NASA.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
You guys have taken what I said and completely misunderstood my point. If this buisness is something that was prevented from going to Fed-Ex than mission accomplished. Due to our different opptions perhaps we infact have been able to keep customers that otherwise would have gone elsewhere. For that reason alone I'm able to look at the big picture as opposed to being selfish and only looking at how it affects me alone. As a matter of fact maybe the union could inform you on how they look at the benefit as a whole as opposed to the impact on one indivisuall feeder job. At the end of the day this is still a company and not an indivisuall feeder run that is trying to compete in the world of business.

You guys have taken what I said and completely misunderstood my point. If this buisness is something that was prevented from going to Fed-Ex than mission accomplished. Due to our different opptions perhaps we infact have been able to keep customers that otherwise would have gone elsewhere. For that reason alone I'm able to look at the big picture as opposed to being selfish and only looking at how it affects me alone. As a matter of fact maybe the union could inform you on how they look at the benefit as a whole as opposed to the impact on one indivisuall feeder job. At the end of the day this is still a company and not an indivisuall feeder run that is trying to compete in the world of business.

Ok,lets look at it your way. YOU are the one guy losing his job and has to go home to his family and let them know and then try and support them with two pt positions at odd hours. The needs of the many out way the needs of the few,right? Hope you have a nice route for the feeder guy to come bump you off of.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
You are correct that scenerio would not be nice under any circumstances, but what I'm getting at is that perhaps with out our flexability it would of resulted in losing 10 jobs or even more. What you fail to realize is that if UPS would of lost that account all togethor it would of resulted in the loss of jobs all accross the board including the feeder position that was doing the pickup to begin with. At the end of the day what all of us do indivisually in our respected positions does directly and indirectly effect all of us. I mean no ill-will towards you or anyone else for that matter, but at the end of the day we all work for the same company.

It`ll start a little here,a little there. Then it will be subcontracting to Pedro the landscaper/delivery guy from the company UPS bought. He does everything but the most urban package routes while all the rural guys get laid off. On the bright side at least the package stays under the umbrella of the UPS family of companies.

Sure I want all LTL business to go to the freight guys instead of another company. But thats palletized LTL loads. If it`s a pile of individual packages or a pallet thats broken down at the hub and then delivered individually thats another story. Freight should be LTL from a to b, feeder should be all movement of large groups/pickups of packages,and package should be delivery/small count pickups. We all have our place,we all should help make sure we keep it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
It`ll start a little here,a little there. Then it will be subcontracting to Pedro the landscaper/delivery guy from the company UPS bought. He does everything but the most urban package routes while all the rural guys get laid off. On the bright side at least the package stays under the umbrella of the UPS family of companies.

Sure I want all LTL business to go to the freight guys instead of another company. But thats palletized LTL loads. If it`s a pile of individual packages or a pallet thats broken down at the hub and then delivered individually thats another story. Freight should be LTL from a to b, feeder should be all movement of large groups/pickups of packages,and package should be delivery/small count pickups. We all have our place,we all should help make sure we keep it.

I dont know much about this stuff, but a truck from Ohio driven by Joe Schmoe with palletized packages, unloaded and sorted at a hub, is technically UPS feeder work?

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I understand what your saying and there is nothing wrong with that approach, however sometimes the customers do not see these things through our eyes and dont quite understand the way we try to segregate our packages All they see is the cost and how it impacts their bottom line, so if we can be flexible in some areas to inable us to keep buisness that we would otherwise lose I see that as a victory for all of us. I know here on the west coast feeder is very teritorrial even between other buildings, they dont like to give anything up specially to freight guys. With that said I still think that whats important is that we can keep customers without jeopardizing our company, and apparently the union agrees. No hard feelings we just can agree to dissagree.

We have pickup accounts that will stack packages as they box them,shrink wrap the pallet and put it in our trailer. We pick it up and have special bays that unwrap the pallet and send it up the belt. We`ll use regular bays for this as well. We also have customers who drop ship a trailer with a broker to our building and we break it down and take it from there.