Fired for signing for a dump stop.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The recieving clerk in question was sitting in his office playing on his computer like he does everyday on break. He will not sign if he is on break. (must have a real union). The rookie was just too impatient to wait.

DS

Fenderbender
We lost a driver today (young gunner) for signing for a 90 piece stop because the recieving clerk wasn't available to sign. .
This is a weird job that brings up new problems every day.
This to me is the biggest mistake a sevice provider can make.
I know the idea is to be as efficient as possible but theres a point when you have to make a decision.
Have you ever been driving away from a stop and you get a funny feeling that you made the wrong one?
I'd like to throw out a few ideas I have about what this guy could/should have done.1/He could just wait,but his commits most likely didn't allow for it.2/Call the center and make it thier problem,3/Prerecord the stop and come back later,4/ scan all pkgs,bundle them and select future for tomorrow leaving an infonotice, 5/Walk right into the BIG bosses office and tell him you need a signature 6/Call the receptionist and have her page the reciever,7/ Call the receptionist and ask her if SHE will sign, 8/leave an infonotice where it will be found by the reciever informing him that you could not wait,and to call the 1-800 number and tell them when he will be available to sign 9/bundle everything,select other non deliveryand select not ready 1,10/Show up 3 minutes before they close and ask the boss to recieve them,informing him that earlier in the day,there was no reciever and that his business is important to us.:geeky:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dannyboy, I am curious what you would do if the person who originally signed the delivery notice is no longer working there. Do you take the time to have the new receiving clerk sign a notice or do you go based on the old one and, if so, what would you do if they can back and said so- and-so doesn't work here anymore and we don't do it that way anymore? Also, I don't mind you quoting me but please use the entire sentence, not just the portion that fits your opinion.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
NY

If you feel I took your statement on the mall delivery out of context, my appology. IMHO that was the point I was responding to, not the rest of the post.

I find that those people that quote and paste a 500 word post, and then respond with 5 words makes the thread awful long and hard to read when time if of the essence.

As for the person signing the delivery notice, since it is a memeber of management, that is not an issue. They can cancel it at any time, but only in advance, not after the fact. In 27 years of delivery, never ever had an issue. With management, loss prevention, or the customer.

d

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No offense taken and I also agree that the posters who quote an entire response just to add a few adds can be quite annoying, especially if they are the first person to reply to a thread as we just read the original thread and don't need to reread it.

BTW, thank for all of your effort on the L situation.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I dont understand why he didnt just call the center? Put the ball in managements court, let them make the decision. When you do this your butt is covered all the time. His sup never would have let him just sit and wait and what would that receiving clerk have done when he saw me loading his 90 pieces of refused delivery back on to my truck.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
NY

Thanks.
If you ever had your tail in the UPS sling, do you know what it feels like to go through it alone? I have, not a good feeling. And if I can help in any way, even if nothing more than to give an aged shoulder to cry on, then I shall when I can.

That is one of the breaking points during torture, to make you believe you are all alone.

One thing I do find interesting is the great diversity when posting on the do's and don'ts in this company called UPS. It would seem that in some areas things are run quite differently than others.

I guess that is one of the things that make this site so facinating.

d

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
This is a frustrating stop with an a hole as a recieving clerk. Just getting a dock to unload all the heavy crap is an accomplishment. It's an SI account, so you can't just bring it back at 5. That being said, he still should have waited.

browniehound

d,
Sounds like you were well ahead of the curve 'back n' the day'. Many of my business customers wish they could do what you just described. You know, the ones that are in and out of the office and only have a couple of employees.

When I was a cover driver, I never left anything on SDN for businesses. Eventually, after covering certain routes, specific customers would wonder why their parcel wasn't left.

This one route I covered had a stop in which the consignee was never there, yet left a note on his door insrtucing UPS to leave all packages and he signed his name. When I asked the regular driver what he does there, he said he SDNs it because of the permanent note of the office door.

It is a very safe area to leave stuff and he usually gets worthless materials. Anyone can gain access to the building which is an old house but there are only 2 businesses in the building in which neither has visitors from the general public.

But my question is, is this a legit practice? Using SDN on a note permanently taped to his door?

Thanks d, in advance

Brownie :peaceful:

I once left 285 packages on a delivery notice at a dock for a business. And you bet, I still have it in the filing cabinet. BUt I did have them before I left them.

My experience with delivery notices began back when we had to get signatures on each and every delivery. (pre DR days)

I noticed that 90% of the deliveries went to 5% of the population of where I was delivering. I hated to bring packages back, sometimes 10 or more a day. And in many areas, trying to find a neighbor home was a lost cause and could cost you 10 minutes or more.

So what I did was when I caught the customer home, I would get them to sign several delivery notices for me, for future deliveries. I explained to them why, and everyone of them were happy with the situation.

My paid day went down, and I had less then 2 sendagains a day. So while it took a little time up front, it paid off very well long term.

Now, without the signature on the delivery notice, it is a dishonest act, and when the crap hits the fan, it will have a termination for those that follow his orders. Even if you taped the conversation, you would get fired, and he might get a slap on the wrist.

d

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We have always been told to NEVER Driver Release a business stop, it didn't matter it they left a signed delivery notice or a signed piece of paper saying it was alright. At one time, UPS used to keep a "Driver Release Letter" on file at the Center office. The consignee would sign a letter relieving UPS of any obligation to pay a claim if the package was stolen. Those went away years ago. Of course we have Basic now, its alright to DR those anywhere.

upsmanckp

We have a driver(in California) who is being hung out for a $10,000.00 high value that was DR'd on the other end(Texas) and then denied receipt. He signed the high value report and put it in the night supes hand. No record of that on any log which they destroy every week. I can't believe there is no automatic code 42 generated on a high value package! He received a Termination letter from the labor dept last week. Even when it deadlocks at panel he has been put through the ringer.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
I use to deliver to a place where they would not sign if they were on lunch or break. I would just ask them what their name was and after they told me they would ask why. Then I would tell them that I needed the name of the person who refused the delivery because we are sending their stuff back. Never had another problem getting a signature at lunch or break again. Let them explain to their boss why his stuff was sent back.:peaceful:

currahee

I use to deliver to a place where they would not sign if they were on lunch or break. I would just ask them what their name was and after they told me they would ask why. Then I would tell them that I needed the name of the person who refused the delivery because we are sending their stuff back. Never had another problem getting a signature at lunch or break again. Let them explain to their boss why his stuff was sent back.:peaceful:

Exactly the way to deal with this problem. Gotta train your customers.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Gotta train your customers

Ah..... might I suggest you train dogs.

You service customers.

And you let the customer know that in the case above, that the delivery needs to be made or the shipment has to go back.

who is being hung out for a $10,000.00 high value that was DR'd on the other end(Texas) and then denied receipt. He signed the high value report and put it in the night supes hand. No record of that on any log which they destroy every week
Let me get this straight. The driver on the pickup end is fired? And they destroyed the logs and have no records? Sorry, something is not right on this one. Something is missing from the picture.

d