First day on road

UrFellowUpser

Im sure they right cause learning the numbers, the streets, how the streets run (East, West, North, South), is crucial. I know i will have the same customers 80 percent of the time and occcasionally, ill have a new customer here and there, but if i know how the numbers run ill have an idea of where that new customer might be and scratch this thing

UrFellowUpser

You know what, I'd do the same thing, and probably will have to in the next two weeks. I've missed watching the Cowboys for less. Just how I'm wired, can't see not doing something like this on your own time as a new guy to get a leg up, if you can..
My Eagles will win anyway so you can use this sunday to get a leg up

UrFellowUpser

You know what, I'd do the same thing, and probably will have to in the next two weeks. I've missed watching the Cowboys for less. Just how I'm wired, can't see not doing something like this on your own time as a new guy to get a leg up, if you can..
Also running the route on the weekend when you're less stressed, having the time to get out of your car and look around is big i believe

8 Hour Day

Study the area on Google Maps, too.
Come in a bit early & set up your truck stop for stop if you can.
Learn the DIAD tricks like bookmarking your place so you don't have to scroll up & down when you're skipping stops (back button, I believe)... clearing out residential savers from your Commit list (hit the res/com button)... pre-recording all but one package on your bulk stops before your start time so you save time on the clock by only having to scan that one last package (make sure your mark it)! Learn how to cheat ORION so you look good on paper without actually having to use that piece of crap software (run blocks within subdivisions by ORION, but make major navigational decisions by what's fastest).

Ask your supe what the route plans to for the day. If he says 9.5, you work 9... if that means you put in a 90 minute lunch, that means you put in a 90 minute lunch!

Listen to the senior drivers if they'll talk. You'll learn more from them than any most any supe could teach you. I know I did. I learned more in one day of riding with a senior driver than I did in all the weeks of "professional" training.

Everything above this line gets forgotten once you've made seniority... unless you have a supe that actually takes care of you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember, reality doesn't count, here. If you look good on PAPER, then that's all they care about. 100% of the decision I make during the day are how to cheat their system so I get the job done while making it look good on my supe's stupid little clip board.

Fnix

pre-recording all but one package on your bulk stops before your start time so you save time on the clock by only having to scan that one last package (make sure your mark it)!.

Wouldnt the center see that you scanned it out of area?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Im sure they right cause learning the numbers, the streets, how the streets run (East, West, North, South), is crucial. I know i will have the same customers 80 percent of the time and occcasionally, ill have a new customer here and there, but if i know how the numbers run ill have an idea of where that new customer might be and scratch this thing
Just delivering the same area every day is huge. Sometime during week 3 things should start to click.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
If you're gonna do this, ONLY do it for your first 30 days to give yourself a head start on the day. This is basically working for free and giving up money....or in your words, dat bread.
pre-recording all but one package on your bulk stops before your start time so you save time on the clock by only having to scan that one last package (make sure your mark it)!
DON'T do this. Learn the proper method first. Scan every package at the stop. You can do razzle dazzle stuff like after you become way more experienced with the DIAD and regular recording procedures. Although I would NEVER recommend anyone work off the clock. And as another poster said, scanning a package away from the delivery area causes you to appear on one of the many reports. It's not that big a deal but maybe for a new driver it would be.

You're not gonna do well until after about a week. You wont feel comfortable until after 2 weeks. Week 3 you'll feel pretty confident, almost too confident. I warn people about this period even more. The danger of having an accident still looms, but at this point it's from being less cautious because of your comfort. It's exactly what happened to me and I'm only thankful that my center manager still kept me aboard.

UrFellowUpser

Hmm that's strange, most drivers, on their first day by themselves, run the route perfectly. What happened?
Not knowing the numbers well enough and not knowing what businesses to deliver too first. I was kind of everywhere. Going on wrong streets and stuff wasting precious time. I ran the route yesterday and today so i feel alot more confident now.

StoptheAct1212

Just a heads up, dont mess up again.... your 1st time messing up is explainable, 2nd time there is going to be alot of explaining to do,...... dont have anything late or missed

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Don't worry about scratching.. The whole system is a joke!!!just don't hit anything and have a good attitude . If they really want or need you they will take you scratching or not... Trust me on this.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Learn the DIAD tricks like bookmarking your place so you don't have to scroll up & down when you're skipping stops (back button, I believe)... clearing out residential savers from your Commit list (hit the res/com button)... pre-recording all but one package on your bulk stops before your start time so you save time on the clock by only having to scan that one last package (make sure your mark it)! Learn how to cheat ORION so you look good on paper without actually having to use that piece of crap software (run blocks within subdivisions by ORION, but make major navigational decisions by what's fastest).

Ask your supe what the route plans to for the day. If he says 9.5, you work 9... if that means you put in a 90 minute lunch, that means you put in a 90 minute lunch!

Listen to the senior drivers if they'll talk. You'll learn more from them than any most any supe could teach you. I know I did. I learned more in one day of riding with a senior driver than I did in all the weeks of "professional" training.

Everything above this line gets forgotten once you've made seniority... unless you have a supe that actually takes care of you.

Remember, reality doesn't count, here. If you look good on PAPER, then that's all they care about. 100% of the decision I make during the day are how to cheat their system so I get the job done while making it look good on my supe's stupid little clip board.
And this sums up most of the problems with this company... You shouldn't have to go out and lie, and cheat to try to game the system...just to get some boxes picked up and delivered... You shouldn't have to cheat to run a route in a decent time....it's just plain sad... And ups is mostly to blame...

Last edited:

1Simplemann

Do NOT put in a 90 min lunch. It shows up. They will know if you working off the clock on the telematics report. bust your :censored2: don't take a break come in early, learn the route on week end, what whatever you gotta do but don't work off the clock. Good luck. It will get better each day. It takes a while and then it clicks. Also I would turn Orion off and run it the way it was set up. Orion does stupid stuff like taking you across a one way and then back across. It just costs you time. Since your new, you won't know when Orion is taking you off course. Chances are regular EDD was set up a veteran driver. When you get to know the route, it will become clearer to you when Orion is going haywire. Until then good luck and keep us posted,.

vvv

You have to be kidding me!! New guy.......don't listen to this clown. You'll have your :censored2: fired in short time. Work efficiently yet safely. Cheating the system and falsifying your records are grounds to have yourself eventually disqualified/terminated.