First day with Sup riding shotgun.

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Scuderia1, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Scuderia1

Scuderia1 Member

Here are just some thoughts I had and some questions. This forum has given me a lot of help.

This ride was way different then when I was shadowing, way more intense. I had a lot of times where I messed up on the Diad and was not quick. But I did run to the doors for driver releases. However the basic mapping skills weren't there, is that normal? I felt really stupid. What is the best way to kill this job? I am serious about it.

Also people are so retarded when it comes to COD. I had a situation where it took me a while because they were calling ppl left right. How do you get out of that situation? They started opening the plastic and looking at the papers. I felt kind of dum there too. I don't mind the intensity just having problems with all the administration work that goes with the job meaning paperwork Diad and all that stuff.

Sent using BrownCafe App

2. heybobby!

heybobby! Member

For COD you say see you tomorrow

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Mr Shifter

Mr Shifter Active Member

Sometimes I'll let them open the pouch with the invoice so they can photo copy it but ask for it back and I'll or another dricer will be back. If they give you sheeeT about they need it tell them you're sorry but you have to come back tomorrow. If they want it bad enough they will come out and meet you. Or make a check availability immediately.

4. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

You "messed up on the DIAD" and you "werent quick" because you are BRAND NEW and still trying to learn the job. It is not a job you will pick up on overnight. You will make mistakes. Get used to it, hang in there and do your best.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. ZQXC

ZQXC Guest

Don't do that; you won't last.

Don't get caught up in a COD run-around. If the check is not ready, write the amount on a delivery notice and hand them the notice. Politely tell them you will be back tomorrow.

6. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Who gets COD anymore that doesn't know it is coming? Have the stupid check ready dummy!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. BigBrown3605

BigBrown3605 Member

Make sure you ask you ON CAR questions...... We all know they hate being on the package car so they are going to run you through the day. This job is not easy and if you are not familiar with the DIAD, it can be confusing. Also, please don't run, walk at your pace. Each day is a marathon, not a sprint.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. iowa boy

iowa boy Well-Known Member

We have various ethnic clothing stores that get all their merchandise COD, but yet never have the money on the first day. We have one that will wait til the day before we send it back to the shipper to pick up and pay for their stuff.

9. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

Even if you are delivering in the town you grew up in, chances are they you aren't going to know all the streets. It will take you a week or 3 to get them down pat. Unless you get lucky and get put on a route like I was to start where all the streets were Front through 6th st. with a few connector streets. Pretty damn nice.

You'll get it. Don't worry. No one is perfect the first day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. jumpman23

jumpman23 Oh Yeah

images59O8K5PV.jpg That's all you need to know youngblood.

11. Scuderia1

Scuderia1 Member

Sounds good brothas solid feedback there thanks. I'm going crazy doing a full out reconnaissance on the map right now . This technology age has made us second generation folks thinking paper maps are ancient guess their not lol.

Sent using BrownCafe App

12. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

COD's that are NM3 are not supposed to be held----they are supposed to be RTS per new corporate policy.

13. joeboodog

joeboodog good people drink good beer

I've seen it on the third attempt that these jokers will put it in will call then have it sent out again for three more tries. Glad they put an end to that crap.

14. UpstateNYUPSer

Even if it does get put on will call and then out for delivery they would get just one more attempt.

15. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

We had a guy who would order 3 times what he needed that all came COD and he would wait until the last day to decide what he wanted. He was using UPS as his warehouse. He used to play that hold and redeliver game too and half the time would refuse it after it was held. A real a-hole.

16. iowa boy

The particular store I referred to will call in and have their COD's will called after the third attempt and that gives them 5 more days for us to store their stuff until they get the money rounded up, and that usually takes another 4 days for that to happen.

17. UpstateNYUPSer

Thankfully they can't do that anymore.

18. iowa boy

Not arguing with you upstate, but they still let this particular business do this. Its the only business I've seen them (my management) do this for.

19. BigBrown3605

BigBrown3605 Member

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a DIAD in the future that can swipe credit cards......

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  20. UpstateNYUPSer

I was surprised it wasn't built in to the 5's.

Sent using BrownCafe App