Fleet mechanic daily life?

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
OT is allowed now to a certain degree, but nowhere near the large and routine levels I see drivers doing. I would not be able to keep that level of hours up due to the strenuous nature of the work I do and chronic pain I suffer from.

oldngray

nowhere special
OT is allowed now to a certain degree, but nowhere near the large and routine levels I see drivers doing. I would not be able to keep that level of hours up due to the strenuous nature of the work I do and chronic pain I suffer from.

Its a good thing the drivers don't have to work long hours in a strenuous job with chronic pain either.

oldngray

nowhere special
Are you being facetious or not? I can't tell.
sarcastic.

Your job is strenuous but different from the repetitive motion of drivers.

If you wear out they can get someone else is the attitude.

Its good they aren't making you work too many hours though. More likely to do a better job that way.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I could put in a lot more hours if I was allowed to go drive around the block every 10 minutes. Working in awkward and uncomfortable positions all the time wears you down. Most of the things I have to work with are either heavy, hot, greasy or sharp. Usually at least 2 of those 4.

Last edited:

Gear

Parts on Order
Competent mechanics are hard to come by that are willing to work these hours. They are now hiring girls not even out of tech school to fill vacancies.

The hours do suck, hardest part of the job. We have a young dago mama's boy in our area. The kind of dago that knows everything. I think I would rather have the female still in tech school.

If they advertised the compensation I think more qualified people would show up. Alot of fleet guys work 3-11pm, so they should be use to crappy hours. But like you said, competent mechs are hard to find.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
The hours do suck, hardest part of the job. We have a young dago mama's boy in our area. The kind of dago that knows everything. I think I would rather have the female still in tech school.

If they advertised the compensation I think more qualified people would show up. Alot of fleet guys work 3-11pm, so they should be use to crappy hours. But like you said, competent mechs are hard to find.
At least the chances of getting eaten by a pack of rabid pit bulls is very small.