Okay so I have a question..i am a cover driver new hire went to school and graduated two fridays ago..but have yet to drive to qualify..we were told to call in every day and every day we call they say they don't need us. Now during Clas we were told they would start us qualifying thay monday ..now I know every center is different but is this them screwing us. Now as of yesterday they still say they don't need us and asked if we wanted to be drivers helpers till they can get us to qualify. My worry is they just dicked us around to put us as helpers...now I know it takes awhile to move up and get a full time route j knew thay coming into the job but I didn't know that we wouldn't have worked for 2 weeks then offered a very lower pay rate job in the meantime ( about me 30 college degree never liked a office setting had application in at ups 2 years prior decided on the cover position hearing it's the only way in ) I just need some advice and or anybody have this happen to them...

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
to they usually change the orientation the last minute to another date which they didnt tell when or where
It can happen. Make sure you are ready to answer your phone at all times, typically you won't ever get a person to answer by calling back the number that shows up on your phone.

Also, it is strongly suggested you not use your real name as your username on this forum. You can change it yourself; or if you can't figure it out, click on the "Report" below your post and leave a message for a moderator/administrator.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It can happen. Make sure you are ready to answer your phone at all times, typically you won't ever get a person to answer by calling back the number that shows up on your phone.

Also, it is strongly suggested you not use your real name as your username on this forum. You can change it yourself; or if you can't figure it out, click on the "Report" below your post and leave a message for a moderator/administrator.

Whenever I get a call from our center the number that shows up on Caller ID is our fax number.

Scot

I was hired as a seasonal delivery driver. I have worked on my own for about two weeks. My times have not been that great. I usually do between 120 and 145 stops. I have exceeded my planned day by .5 to 1.25 daily. Today they sent my out as a helper and I have a late start tomorrow also as a driver's helper. That have not told me that I have been demoted to a helper. Is that how it is usually done? Am I finished? I'm not really interested in having late starts and not getting a full days pay.

9.5 everyday

I was hired as a seasonal delivery driver. I have worked on my own for about two weeks. My times have not been that great. I usually do between 120 and 145 stops. I have exceeded my planned day by .5 to 1.25 daily. Today they sent my out as a helper and I have a late start tomorrow also as a driver's helper. That have not told me that I have been demoted to a helper. Is that how it is usually done? Am I finished? I'm not really interested in having late starts and not getting a full days pay.
Might not have enough work to have your truck in the line up, so they will make routes a little heavier and add a helper. When things pick up, I'm sure you'll be back on your route.

9.5 everyday

Sounds like you were hired as a seasonal driver. You will drive once they have enough volume to build you a route. Your contract will be terminated at the end of the year. And then your done. If you do a good job they may offer you a terrific part time job at night. Then you can build some seniority over the next 3-5 years, and then maybe get a full time bid cover driving. After cover driving for another 3-5 years, you might be lucky enough to bid a :censored2:ty route.

Loyee Kotee

IMG_1523.JPG
Sup folks. I'm new at UPS and I'm starting the twilight shift as a loader on Monday. Not an aural learner so I wanted to go over some of the information from orientation. Could somebody break down Wall Building for me? I know certain boxes go in certain places to ensure the quality of the wall. Which box is the Cornerstone package exactly? Which box is the Lock-in package? I have a paper with a diagram. Could you also go over basic scanner procedures? I know we'll log into our scanners and select the color of our loading station(is it called hub or trailer?). Is that told to us by our supervisor? We also have to scan the bar code on the wall of were we're loading, but why exactly? And we scan five package to make sure they have the same data so that they go to the same place, or are loaded into the right place?

Loyee Kotee

Can somebody also breakdown the basics of hazardous packages? I know they'll have a special label in the shape of 1 or more diamonds and that you scan them by pressing F3 on your scanner and going into hazmat mode.

MeltedSnowman

The best way to learn this job is while on the job. The classroom methods are fine in theory but rarely, if ever, do you receive the size and types of boxes you need to make a solid wall. If you're trainer is halfway decent and you get paired up on a belt with people that have been on the job for more than a year you'll learn all you need and then some.

Heidegger

I think I got hired as a driver helper. Do I have to do the service cross and the information notice? I think I have the gist of those, not sure though. Also I'm not well versed on the DIAD. Do I really have to learn that? Also, will I actually get hours? Sorry, just don't want to get jipped.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I think I got hired as a driver helper. Do I have to do the service cross and the information notice? I think I have the gist of those, not sure though. Also I'm not well versed on the DIAD. Do I really have to learn that? Also, will I actually get hours? Sorry, just don't want to get jipped.

And this is how it really starts.

So i had oriantation last week & was given a number to call today, we were suppost to call early today to see if we were working today, & pick up our uniform, but i havent been able to get a hold of the person. Two hours of calling, & i still cant get a hold of the guy. What now? Im a seasonal driver helper

9.5 everyday

So i had oriantation last week & was given a number to call today, we were suppost to call early today to see if we were working today, & pick up our uniform, but i havent been able to get a hold of the person. Two hours of calling, & i still cant get a hold of the guy. What now? Im a seasonal driver helper
You will do the same tomorrow, and the next day and the next.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It is a still bit too early for helpers.