New hire - Driver Helper. I'm 38 years old and making a huge change in my career path. My goal is to parlay seasonal driver helper into perm PT, into full time and eventually driver. Im hoping to become a driver in 5 years, at which point I'll be 43. Am I out of my mind? Is there an unwritten/unspoken rule about promoting older workers to driver? Is my timeline off? This is a HUGE change for me and my family, but the circumstances and timing feel right for me to go for this now. All frank replies are appreciated. Please don't hold back if you think I'm making a poor choice in terms of long term goals vs. reality.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
New hire - Driver Helper. I'm 38 years old and making a huge change in my career path. My goal is to parlay seasonal driver helper into perm PT, into full time and eventually driver. Im hoping to become a driver in 5 years, at which point I'll be 43. Am I out of my mind? Is there an unwritten/unspoken rule about promoting older workers to driver? Is my timeline off? This is a HUGE change for me and my family, but the circumstances and timing feel right for me to go for this now. All frank replies are appreciated. Please don't hold back if you think I'm making a poor choice in terms of long term goals vs. reality.

Well, Ron, you look like you will have a tough road ahead. Do really well as a helper, and maybe you will be called back to an inside PT job after the first of the year. Expect to be laid off a lot if you are.

The only real FT job you can jump into from PT is driver. All the 22.2 and 22.3 FT jobs are grabbed by senior drivers wanting to get off the street.

As for five years, good luck with that. It will depend on your location.

As for any "unwritten/unspoken rule," it's all seniority. You could very possibly be 53 before you have enough to start driving.

natestate

Newer employee here, I work on primary but they pulled me to drive for peak three days a week, hopefully going to five shortly, had a couple of questions for driving.

I'm in a northern market so I get the deal with all the fun wintery elements. What are some "must-haves" for being out there? So far some other guys that have driven peak in years past have told me to get some over the knee wool blend socks, and they strongly recommended Under Armour or some other type of moisture wicking undergarments to help manage my body heat. I have an LED Maglite and my portable cell phone charger should be here today. What if anything am I missing that I'm really going to want or need out there that's going to make my experience as positive as possible?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Over the knees socks may be overkill.

UA is a must. Pricey but well worth it.

When it gets really cold I will wear sweatpants over my UA bottoms and a turtleneck under my UA top.

Evaderman

Hired as FT driver (not seasonal)...completed the in class training, then did 2 days riding along with another driver. Was supposed to then do 3 days driving with a supervisor but things have been crazy busy and unorganized and for the last week I've been riding as a "driver helper" with the promise of getting me in a truck soon.

I have a feeling I will be used as a driver helper until after Christmas. That bothered me at first but now I wonder if it might be for the best. Instead of getting my own truck and thrown in routes I don't know at the busiest time of the year I will get to learn the ins and outs from a seasoned driver as well as get use to using the DIAD...I guess only time will tell

Ms.PacMan

Hired as FT driver (not seasonal)...completed the in class training, then did 2 days riding along with another driver. Was supposed to then do 3 days driving with a supervisor but things have been crazy busy and unorganized and for the last week I've been riding as a "driver helper" with the promise of getting me in a truck soon.

I have a feeling I will be used as a driver helper until after Christmas. That bothered me at first but now I wonder if it might be for the best. Instead of getting my own truck and thrown in routes I don't know at the busiest time of the year I will get to learn the ins and outs from a seasoned driver as well as get use to using the DIAD...I guess only time will tell

If the two of you are working well together they will probably forget all about you and just keep adding stops and let you two pound them out.

You're right not to let it bother you - just ride out peak in the jump seat! You will learn a lot and consider yourself trained on that route forever more because they will :)

MtroSth76

Let me give it a shot.

Welcome to UPS. You have found the site HR has warned you about. Brown Cafe is a place for UPS employees to gather and share information about the company and to blow off steam. Most people here have been there, done that, got the bad knees to show it. Before asking questions check out the search function. Most issues have been discussed and while it may seem new to you, most of us have heard it all before. If we don't take your concern seriously, relax and join in the fun.

Again, welcome to Big Brown and remember, it's just cardboard.
Quick? Seasonal driver... Only have worked 8 days so far....trying to get my residentials down but still tricky...last day I worked was almost 2 weeks now...missed a pick up due to a stop closing. Have called in everyday since, but no go. Could I be termed for not making the pick up? I'm still new at all of this...what are the odds of getting called in from here on out just so I'm not wasting anyone's time...

Ms.PacMan

Quick? Seasonal driver... Only have worked 8 days so far....trying to get my residentials down but still tricky...last day I worked was almost 2 weeks now...missed a pick up due to a stop closing. Have called in everyday since, but no go. Could I be termed for not making the pick up? I'm still new at all of this...what are the odds of getting called in from here on out just so I'm not wasting anyone's time...
I have no way of knowing for sure but imo it's doubtful that a missed p/u by a seasonal driver wouldn't be forgiven. Keep calling.

Evaderman

Turns out I was wrong about not getting a truck until after Christmas. Went out with supervisor yesterday and was told will do the same today and then will get my own truck on Wednesday (with a light load).

I'm not nervous about driving...been driving a long time and am a good driver. More nervous about driving with the supervisor while trying to find the stops in an area I don't know and trying to remember my next stop each time