Shadetree88

Let me give it a shot.

Welcome to UPS. You have found the site HR has warned you about. Brown Cafe is a place for UPS employees to gather and share information about the company and to blow off steam. Most people here have been there, done that, got the bad knees to show it. Before asking questions check out the search function. Most issues have been discussed and while it may seem new to you, most of us have heard it all before. If we don't take your concern seriously, relax and join in the fun.

Again, welcome to Big Brown and remember, it's just cardboard.
Maybe I will catch on soon, seems to be a great learning tool.

GHerbo

How is the start off salary for a package car driver? I've been thinking for a while about making a career out of UPS and I'm going to put my name of the driver bidding list sometime next week.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
How is the start off salary for a package car driver? I've been thinking for a while about making a career out of UPS and I'm going to put my name of the driver bidding list sometime next week.
Under the current contract:
  • Start $18.75
  • 1 year $19.50
  • 2 year $21.00
  • 3 year $25.00
  • 4 year $<Top Rate>
Are you 21? Can you drive stick shift? Do you have a clean driving record (no moving violations)?

Edit: Top Rate here is currently $34.425

GHerbo

Under the current contract:
  • Start $18.75
  • 1 year $19.50
  • 2 year $21.00
  • 3 year $25.00
  • 4 year $<Top Rate>
Are you 21? Can you drive stick shift? Do you have a clean driving record (no moving violations)?

Edit: Top Rate here is currently $34.425
No, but I will be registering at a driver's education course over the summer sometime in May, and that way I can take a driving test, from what I was told this school offers manual stick shift lessons as well

Undertow82

Hello all. I just started as a package handler. Today was my 3rd day on the job unloading. I have a friend who is a driver who works in the same Location and he asked the supervisor how I was doing. The supe said I needed to pick up the pace a little, "balls to the wall" was mentioned. I was a little concerned with this but was told to not really worry about it, just get used to it and you'll get faster. I was a little concerned with this because I felt my pace was a lot quicker than some of the other "veterans" that work there. Just curious if I should be worried about being let go or are they just busting my balls to see how I react? Any help would be appreciated.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Just do your best for the first 90 working days because you are on probation. If they see you're a hard worker they wont get rid of you

GHerbo

So after I've worked a year at UPS( rehired as permanent during January) where would I have to go in order to sign up for benefits? Would I have to sign up on the UPSers website or my local teamsters union website? Also what benefits are included in for UPS workers because I currently have no health insurance so I got a penalty on my income tax. I'm in serious need of new glasses, a dental exam, as well as a physical! Please inform me thank you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So after I've worked a year at UPS( rehired as permanent during January) where would I have to go in order to sign up for benefits? Would I have to sign up on the UPSers website or my local teamsters union website? Also what benefits are included in for UPS workers because I currently have no health insurance so I got a penalty on my income tax. I'm in serious need of new glasses, a dental exam, as well as a physical! Please inform me thank you.

You don't have to sign up for benefits. You should receive your benefits package a couple of weeks before your anniversary date.

GHerbo

Just out of curiosity does anyone here invest in UPS stocks and is it a good investment? I'm hoping to invest in sometime in the future