Rack em

Made the Podium
Just out of curiosity does anyone here invest in UPS stocks and is it a good investment? I'm hoping to invest in sometime in the future
I do. Not quite sure if its good or bad yet. But you do get stocks at a 5% discount so if stock goes up you win and if it only goes down 5% then its a wash

Arch

Hello all. I just started as a package handler. Today was my 3rd day on the job unloading. I have a friend who is a driver who works in the same Location and he asked the supervisor how I was doing. The supe said I needed to pick up the pace a little, "balls to the wall" was mentioned. I was a little concerned with this but was told to not really worry about it, just get used to it and you'll get faster. I was a little concerned with this because I felt my pace was a lot quicker than some of the other "veterans" that work there. Just curious if I should be worried about being let go or are they just busting my balls to see how I react? Any help would be appreciated.
You would have to be extremely bad unloading not to pass. I wasn't the fastest unloader nor was I absolutely slow. Just show up to work everyday. That's the most important and don't try to overwork yourself. Work at a steady pace. Some days you'll have bad days and work slower. If your sup gives you crap about your work ethic ignore it they are doing it to scare you. The veterans you speak of have already worked there long enough not to care how fast they go.

UPS has a very high turnover rate. They don't like to get rid of people just to spend more hiring more people. Your fine as long as you remember to show up everyday.

GHerbo

Yeah that :censored2: is dead, my pt supervisor and sorters would try to intimidate me into working fast and eventually I became the fastest unloader in my area 1500 pph, but then I realized that pph doesn't mean :censored2: I wasn't getting more hours or more money so I stuck to unloading at a moderate steady pace. They will continue to mess with you but eventually they won't because there is no pph or specific feeder unloading time in our contracts. So remember you get paid by the hour not by the package. Contact your union steward if they start harassing you for your work pace

Undertow82

Thanks for tips guys. Day 9 now and my supe actually told me I was doing a good job so it's all good. Just want to hit that 30 for that Union card.

Genesis2

I made my 30 days and I'm in the union now!!! I made it!!!! OMG! I went from loading trucks in the early a.m. Then changed to the p.m. shift, I like it a lot better! I can get more hours.

CeeCeeSantos

I was wondering I have got the team care package yesterday, I hit one year may 4th. Could I use my insurance or do I still have to wait til may ?

Kevola

I have been a loader for 7 months since the holidays I thought things would lighten up by now but I am simply giving more trucks and fewer people come in I am 31 years old and my back is killing me my foot feels broken and my knees feel like they are about to blow out my body feels like it is gonna blow out and I take protien,and creation I eat healthy and drink clean,don't even drink but one tea a day in caffeine I load up too 1200 a day and I am falling apart worst part is having 5 trucks walk-in things all the way back up I am limping now and concerned about what tommarow holds for my lower body I feel overworked I get chastised for missloads here and there and I am not surprised I was told if I were pace myself and not be finished by the time the drivers arrived that would be another issue and more write-ups I feel set up for failer chewd up used and spit out treated like an maroon for misloads when I can barely keep up with a waterfall of heavy boxes I don't always have missloads but I can't slow down or I will be over ran with boxes all over the floor Is it OK for them to give me such a heavy burden on a relentless basis if they were to hire a few more preloaders and every one had three heavy trucks that would be a world easier to not get missloads and not get disabled...are they allowed to overwork people what happens when I collapse and can't work due to torn body.

RetroDesu

Hey guys first post here, and I need some help. So I have been preloading at UPS for about two weeks now. Frankly I'm sucking at it, and at this rate I'm probably not going to make probation. I'm doing slide to car, and the route I'm doing has a lot of bulk that chokes the belt, and I get backed up fast. It seems for every three packages I load. I have 10 more coming down the slide. Not only that, but the huge bulk pieces on the belt below forces me to stop and secure the belt in order to get really big bulk pieces. (Like ladders and other nonsense.)

I would like to keep my job, but my supervisor is on my ass constantly, and it is very frustrating because I'm not waking up at 3 in the morning to do a half ass job, but at the same time I get overwhelmed once the volume keeps coming in. It is like I can never catch up, and I end up getting sent home early. (Which is infuriating.)

So how do I get better(faster?) at this area. My supervisor always yells at me saying "Use the methods I taught you!" (Such as separating at the slide and optimum carries etc.) However, I find it pretty hard to separate when there are so many packages coming down eventually separating goes out the window, and I'm forced to move whatever package I can just to unchoke the belt. Then most of the packages are too heavy to take more than once so that slows me down as well.

Honestly I can work on my speed getting in and out of the car. That I admit can be faster, but other than that I just don't know how I can fix the above problems in order to increase my efficiency. I wish I could have started off on 1-2 trucks, but since day one I have done nothing less than 3-4 trucks, or 3 trucks and 1 trailer.

So any feedback?

35years

Gravy route
Hey guys first post here, and I need some help. So I have been preloading at UPS for about two weeks now. Frankly I'm sucking at it, and at this rate I'm probably not going to make probation. I'm doing slide to car, and the route I'm doing has a lot of bulk that chokes the belt, and I get backed up fast. It seems for every three packages I load. I have 10 more coming down the slide. Not only that, but the huge bulk pieces on the belt below forces me to stop and secure the belt in order to get really big bulk pieces. (Like ladders and other nonsense.)

I would like to keep my job, but my supervisor is on my ass constantly, and it is very frustrating because I'm not waking up at 3 in the morning to do a half ass job, but at the same time I get overwhelmed once the volume keeps coming in. It is like I can never catch up, and I end up getting sent home early. (Which is infuriating.)

So how do I get better(faster?) at this area. My supervisor always yells at me saying "Use the methods I taught you!" (Such as separating at the slide and optimum carries etc.) However, I find it pretty hard to separate when there are so many packages coming down eventually separating goes out the window, and I'm forced to move whatever package I can just to unchoke the belt. Then most of the packages are too heavy to take more than once so that slows me down as well.

Honestly I can work on my speed getting in and out of the car. That I admit can be faster, but other than that I just don't know how I can fix the above problems in order to increase my efficiency. I wish I could have started off on 1-2 trucks, but since day one I have done nothing less than 3-4 trucks, or 3 trucks and 1 trailer.

So any feedback?

They are not going to fire you. They can not keep part timers around because of the high turnover. You sup is a mini-hitler on a power trip. You will have to listen to his BS untill you make probation. After you make it file a harassment grievance with your Union Steward.

RetroDesu

They are not going to fire you. They can not keep part timers around because of the high turnover. You sup is a mini-hitler on a power trip. You will have to listen to his BS untill you make probation. After you make it file a harassment grievance with your Union Steward.

One of the guys who has really helped me out told me "PPH doesn't mean :censored2:, and not to quit because it is not like this everywhere." I was expressing concerns of never returning after being sent home yet again. So I will go in tomorrow.

Funny thing you mentioned it he had recently filed a grievance against him. However with that being said I would still like to improve so I can get him off my ass.

35years

Gravy route
One of the guys who has really helped me out told me "PPH doesn't mean :censored2:, and not to quit because it is not like this everywhere." I was expressing concerns of never returning after being sent home yet again. So I will go in tomorrow.

Funny thing you mentioned it he had recently filed a grievance against him. However with that being said I would still like to improve so I can get him off my ass.
You can't file a grievance until you have made probation and are in the Union. So I don't know if I believe you.

RetroDesu

You can't file a grievance until you have made probation and are in the Union. So I don't know if I believe you.

"he had recently filed a grievance against him"

Not to be rude, but how did you miss that?

The guy who has been helping me has been there for six months. HE filed it not me.

Turdferguson

Just a turd

Even if you improve they will be on your A*. Do your best, work safely, and learn to hear without listening