Hello I just got rehired back I used to work as an unloader from 2010-2014 luckily for me I left on a good note and besides I knew a lot of management so I was lucky that they liked me enough that they gave me a good rehire status!! I start this Monday.

Johnny Joestar

New here. I will get right to the point. I applied to UPS and I will be working next week or at least in training. I will be working as a loader and I have heard nothing but horror stories about loading and the job in general as opposed to unloading. .I was wondering if anyone could give me an actual rundown of what I will be expected to do and give me any tips that I could use before my first day? I am mostly concerned with getting my packages to the right trucks on time and I guess building a decent wall. Positive advice would be greatly appreciated.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Hello I just got rehired back I used to work as an unloader from 2010-2014 luckily for me I left on a good note and besides I knew a lot of management so I was lucky that they liked me enough that they gave me a good rehire status!! I start this Monday.
@Chicagosportsfan88 : in the next few weeks; you should call, write, or visit your Local Union office and explain to them that you stopped working for the company, and have been rehired. If you didn't get a 'withdrawal card' from the union, technically you owe dues for all those months. You need to ask them to waive those back dues. There should be a bulletin board in your hub with the union's address & phone #.

I really am not sure if I got the union withdraw card or not I just thought at that time when I gave my two weeks notice my Union seniority will automatically cancel itself out. I never knew that I might still owe union dues due to the two year absence. On anther note when I did fill out the union paper work they asked me if I was in a union with them before and I said yes and I put in the year that I was in, but my question will be would be with that information what will the union do with that information? Do I owe some union dues or will I able to recover my seniority ? And last but not least Will I have to start over? Sorry for all the qustions,but when it comes to the union stuff I really don't know that much.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I really am not sure if I got the union withdraw card or not I just thought at that time when I gave my two weeks notice my Union seniority will automatically cancel itself out. I never knew that I might still owe union dues due to the two year absence. On anther note when I did fill out the union paper work they asked me if I was in a union with them before and I said yes and I put in the year that I was in, but my question will be would be with that information what will the union do with that information? Do I owe some union dues or will I able to recover my seniority ? And last but not least Will I have to start over? Sorry for all the qustions,but when it comes to the union stuff I really don't know that much.
About your seniority, the company has the right to start you all over again (pay rate, benefits entitlement, etc). It's up to their discretion. Maybe you'll get lucky, I hope you do.

You should have notified the union, yourself, when you left. No big deal, it's not common knowledge. But it is probably posted on the union bulletin board at work, and published in any newsletters you may have gotten from the union. Even if you didn't resign, but say you were going to be off work for a whole month (because of an injury), you could get a withdrawal card to save from having to pay dues for that month. Anyways, yes the union knows it hasn't been receiving your dues for a while, and I'm sure they asked the company about it and were told you left. Technically, you do owe monthly dues for all that time. However, if you contact the union dues department and explain the situation, they should be able to help you out. It would also save you from having to pay the initiation fee again (which is now double what you paid last time).

Why did you come back? Are you trying to become a full-time driver?

Well I start this Monday so that would be my first official start. Like I said I was there as an unloader from 2010-2014 than they rehired me. Well as for the full time
Driver no, but I am trying to get in the plant engineering program they have. I work at the UPS cach facility in Hodgkins IL

Just started at UPS yesterday also did training Thursday of last week. Not too bad did good yesterday driver said good job from yesterday he had no misloads he said today! My questions are why do we have to do so much just two trucks were a handful? My supervisor is good at training me and says my work is good but says im working up to four trucks! Why don't they just hire more people? Two trucks per persons is enough.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just started at UPS yesterday also did training Thursday of last week. Not too bad did good yesterday driver said good job from yesterday he had no misloads he said today! My questions are why do we have to do so much just two trucks were a handful? My supervisor is good at training me and says my work is good but says im working up to four trucks! Why don't they just hire more people? Two trucks per persons is enough.

Two pkg cars per loader is not cost effective.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Is it a bad idea to ask to start unloading on my 4th day? I think I will have 3 trucks today getting tired of this job real quick!
Dude 3 cars isn't hard! Some preloaders load 4 cars a day and have no problems. You're new so I understand that it's hard, but it will get easier I promise. Just keep at it and pretty soon you'll be a pro

AutoZone

BrownPower
What's so hard?!?! It's moving boxes! Seriously.. don't the preloaders had a guide sheet??!?! Come on the sort aisle.. we push/lift/drop/slide/move 5000+ packages per shift!! Guys crying about 1000-1500?? Geeze man.. grow a pair!

Turdferguson

Just a turd
What's so hard?!?! It's moving boxes! Seriously.. don't the preloaders had a guide sheet??!?! Come on the sort aisle.. we push/lift/drop/slide/move 5000+ packages per shift!! Guys crying about 1000-1500?? Geeze man.. grow a pair!
How far you walking with those packages in the series aisle? 10 12 inches? What happens if you put a few on the wrong belt?. If you haven't done the job don't talk about how hard it is

AutoZone

BrownPower
How far you walking with those packages in the series aisle? 10 12 inches? What happens if you put a few on the wrong belt?. If you haven't done the job don't talk about how hard it is
Really? I'm pretty sure it would be cake work compared to the work we put in.. we're non stop and have to go at the pace of the Unloaders. There's quite a few that try to be super hero's every night to try and blow us out.. I usually pay mine with a soda to stay as an easy 1200 per hour pace.. last week I bought my entire sort aisle papa johns pizza since our sups don't think it's a good idea to reward us from time to time, I decided I'd step in and take care of my guys..

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Wait!!

You don't have your own route yet?

I'm losing faith in you.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Really? I'm pretty sure it would be cake work compared to the work we put in.. we're non stop and have to go at the pace of the Unloaders. There's quite a few that try to be super hero's every night to try and blow us out.. I usually pay mine with a soda to stay as an easy 1200 per hour pace.. last week I bought my entire sort aisle papa johns pizza since our sups don't think it's a good idea to reward us from time to time, I decided I'd step in and take care of my guys..

Everyone at UPS thinks their job is the hardest. Here is a newsflash for you. They are all hard. I have been out there 27 years and have had just about every job you can think of. The only one I've had that didn't physically whip my A* is the one I have now, but it more than makes up for it from the mental beating I take just about every day.