T Bone

a
Let me give it a shot.

Welcome to UPS. You have found the site HR has warned you about. Brown Cafe is a place for UPS employees to gather and share information about the company and to blow off steam. Most people here have been there, done that, got the bad knees to show it. Before asking questions check out the search function. Most issues have been discussed and while it may seem new to you, most of us have heard it all before. If we don't take your concern seriously, relax and join in the fun.

Again, welcome to Big Brown and remember, it's just cardboard.
question, I did my class work passed everything and am still waiting to start..going on 3 weeks. when is typically the start time for seasonal drivers.I emailed the dept manager, he said "we have your info" and that was 10 days ago..

Rack em

Made the Podium
so I wont start until after thanksgiving??? I would think they would want to get some training in before all hell breaks loose..
You might, you might not. It all depends on volume and how many routes they put in.

The year I went to driving school, they didn't even use at all to drive during peak. Not saying that will happen to you, but its a possibility.

T Bone

thanks for info, basically its coin toss...damn I thought this would have been a good gig for the holidays..18.75/ hr plus OT...told me I had a route..met the dept head..emailed him he told me that "we have your contact info, and we will be in touch..and we will give you a 2 day window" that was 10 days ago. I emailed him again no response..trying not to be a pain but I need to know where I stand

Rack em

Made the Podium
so you being a full time driver?? ( assuming ) when do they start to bring in the seasonals..on average
I can't give too much input on seasonal's because this is the first year our center is actually using seasonal drivers. Before our center would just use preloaders as utility drivers during peak. But the week after thanksgiving is usually when they start adding peak routes.

BigD Bri

a

question, I did my class work passed everything and am still waiting to start..going on 3 weeks. when is typically the start time for seasonal drivers.I emailed the dept manager, he said "we have your info" and that was 10 days ago..

No one here will be able to answe that for you, as it will be specific to the needs of your hub. However, most likely the week after Thanksgiving..

T Bone

I can't give too much input on seasonal's because this is the first year our center is actually using seasonal drivers. Before our center would just use preloaders as utility drivers during peak. But the week after thanksgiving is usually when they start adding peak routes.
seems to be the consensus thanks for replying...

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
How do you defraud a company that's grossly overcharging as it is?? I'm a Verizon customer as well, and any little bit someone can save against them, I'm all for it.. sell me a crappy phone, then recall it, send me a refurbished phone, that one breaks, and now I'm locked into a $700 phone that I need to pay off before I can upgrade.... I paid for a new phone, end up with a refurbished phone 2 months after, and now stuck with a junk phone, or pay off $350 remaining, and then still need a new phone, and that one is $700.. so I'm in the hole $1000 for a cell phone... Yea......
Why you need a $700 phone

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Actually they do some data mining & analysis to determine that now.
Dunn & Bradstreet and other data vendors offer very robust "data mining and cross referencing" solutions.
In this thread about verifying the cellphone discount, you mentioned data mining. What does that mean and what does it involve?

Data mining is an interdisciplinary subfield of computer science. It is the computational process of discovering patterns in large data sets involving methods at the intersection of artificial intelligence, machine learning, statistics, and database systems.
The overall goal of the data mining process is to extract information from a data set and transform it into an understandable structure for further use.
Aside from the raw analysis step, it involves database and data management aspects, data pre-processing, model and inference considerations, interestingness metrics, complexity considerations, post-processing of discovered structures,visualization, and online updating.

The term is a misnomer, because the goal is the extraction of patterns and knowledge from large amounts of data ...

kiki0523

My husband did an interview with UPS. The position was for "seasonal driver." Since the interview the category on my husband's application has changed to "casual driver." Any idea why this is? Also, he received a union card when he left a former