forced lunch

wyobill

Probably 90% of the jobs out there dictate when you take lunch. What would be the problem with taking lunch sometime between noon and 1? You can't deliver to businesses then, anyways.

You can deliver to them if they are open and will accept. It's sheeting as closed between 12 and 1 that is a no-no.

I wish UPS would disable every board between 1200 and 1:00
They would have to add extra routes and time allocations would have to be a little more accurate. My 8:00 hr plan day takes me 9.50 when I take my full lunch hour. ( no chit chatting either)

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I've said it before, what are you supposed to do for an hour. An hour lunch for an office employee that can drive home and watch soaps (my wife) is one thing but hanging around in a pkg car or Burger King for an hour I would go insane. I did take the whole 1/2 hour today, that's plenty.

wyobill

I've said it before, what are you supposed to do for an hour. An hour lunch for an office employee that can drive home and watch soaps (my wife) is one thing but hanging around in a pkg car or Burger King for an hour I would go insane. I did take the whole 1/2 hour today, that's plenty.

We are forced to deduct a full hour. I live on my delivery rt.
so its easy to find time. I wish 1/2 hr was an option!
UPS knows most are lunch skippers. That equalls money
in their pockets.

browniehound

I can't believe with all the problems in the world-the wars in Iraq and Afganistan, N.korea and Iran as nuclear threats- we are discussing which HOUR OF THE friend-ING day we should be taking lunch??????? Can we please get some perspective here? Compared to Al-quida, UPS management "a'in't" so bad.

crazygill

people if you read the law it said that yes they have to give us time for lunch but they CAN'T tell us when and if we don"t take they cannot give us crap

Ruralbrownman

Recently we were told we must put in at least 20 minutes for lunch , if we put down only 20 minutes that is all that is taken out. I thought any changes in the contract had to be negotiated. Our contract states lunch between the 3rd and 6th hours , or any combination of lunch and break that adds up to 60 minutes. I find it hard to believe the company is going to give us 40 minutes.

SmithBarney

If you listen to your sups or read.

to paraphrase it reads something like "lunch should be taken between your 3 and 6th hours"

the word "SHOULD" does not mean "HAS TO BE" its a recommendation
I've told my sups in the past that if I take my lunch for a particular day between the 3-6hr,
that I would miss businesses, not to mention
on some routes it messes up the entire flow of the day.(they don't seem to mind, as long as your
not sitting in the center taking a break(they don't want to see you)

Such as the route where you are done delivering businesses at 2, and then at 2:15 pickups start,
and don't finish until 6pm.

Or the route where if you hustle all day, and skip your lunch you can finish
at 5pm giving you an 8hr gaurentee. why get home at 6pm, when you can get
home at 5pm for the same $$.

Granted these are exceptions and your dispatch should b adjusted to allow
for lunch, but sups grow to know who skips and what can be done.

For every 5 drivers that skip lunch, thats another route(driver) that could be
on the road. I say 5 because of how taking lunch affects timing on your day.

So in a center of 30 drivers you could potentially add 5-6 drivers(which means more help, less load)

Gotta grieve those 9.5s too, cause for every 6 drivers that works over 9.5(say a 10.5)
that would be another route as well...

Megansman

people if you read the law it said that yes they have to give us time for lunch but they CAN'T tell us when and if we don"t take they cannot give us crap

Apparently in California, the law states that lunch must begin before the start of the 6th hour of work -- it isn't a corporate thing at all. We were asked to sign letters to the governator to change the law and give us more flexibility on that... and I haven't heard anything else since then.

cast

Here in Washington you have to take lunch between 3 and 5 hr and the diad will be disabled during lunch. The diad will tell you when you are getting near the 5 hour mark. It gives you an option of a 30 or 60 min lunch. And after 9 hours you have the option to take another 30 min meal period. For those who are all up in arms about Ups telling you when you can take lunch just relax............and enjoy your lunch!

browned_out

I'm from cali, (central coast) and we are required by law to take lunch before the 5th hour of work, the diad prompts you at 4 1/2 hrs that you should begin your lunch. You have until 4 hrs & 59 mins to "punch out" or you are in violation, the diad is disabled for 30 min. Now I have talked with our center mgr on this issue and because of the lawsuit against UPS here in california this is now the policy. If you are in violation you will be written up, and this could lead to you being fired. He claims that every violation that occurs Ups gets fined some dollar amount, no figure available. While I don't agree with having to take lunch at a pre-determined time, I do however think you should not forgo your lunch as you are just working for free.

DS

Fenderbender
I wish UPS would disable every board between 1200 and 1:00
They would have to add extra routes and time allocations would have to be a little more accurate. My 8:00 hr plan day takes me 9.50 when I take my full lunch hour. ( no chit chatting either)
Then so be it,but it would be nice to choose instead of 12 till one

DS

Fenderbender
ITS not the lunch time, yes take it you have it, but for them to tell us when to take it. THAT WHEN i WILL NOT GO ALONG they just Own to much of us now and we must draw the line in the sand.
Every area is different,it should be up to the driver wnen he takes his break as long as it all gets done

browniehound

Where I'm from management would never go for such strict guidelines when it comes to lunch. For example, if the DIAD automatically shut down from 1400 to 1500 at my center, hundreds of packages would be missed every day.

There are many routes in my center that are strictly business deliveries and pickups. How is UPS going to manage these routes if the DIAD shuts down automatically?

Even in a perfect world, a driver is not going to be able to finish his deliveries by 1400 every day. Somedays he'll finish at 1345 and UPS will be paying the driver 15 minutes for nothing. Other days the driver will not finish until 1420. If the DIAD automatically shut down at 1400, there would be 20 minutes worth of deliveries that would be be missed on a regular basis.

There is a simple solution to this problem. Deduct the driver for the time he "clocks out" of his DIAD. Why won't UPS do this? Why are they so hell-bent on making us taking a 1-hour lunch?

It would benefit the driver and the company. The driver would win by not being "forced" to spend any more time in the company's employ than he has to and the company would win from not having to send another driver 2 towns away to finish his business deliveries.

The only reason I can think that the company would not do this is because they can keep us out an hour later at straight time to make late pick-ups.

Problem is, they can't have it both ways. Either pays us OT earlier or have missed packages.

This is my top request in the next contract: deduct our lunch from what we put in the DIAD. That way, the company can't benefit from the "lunch runners". If the union had a spine they would make this priority number one, becuase this is an area where union members are grossly working off the clock than all other areas combined.

over9five

Staff member
"If the union had a spine.."

Why are you putting this on the union?? The union negotiated your lunchtime!

The people who don't take their lunch according to the contract are the spineless ones.

stopcomplete

The 1 hour lunch needs to go. we are truck drivers for the most part.I find myself on main st nowhere u. s. a. at lunch time many times watching the occasional farm tractor spreading cow #$%# on the field.where as if i could go another hour or two i could be home for lunch. Better yet take 30 minutes have a sandwich relax a bit and get home earlier.If this is enforced everywhere and it has begun in my building i see only good things from it.I dont think the company would be able to service the way they need to.Hopefully one of the major by products of this would be more drivers less stops.

JustTired

free at last.......
We have a 1/2 hour here and I agree that it is plenty. But where lunch is an hour, if they shortened it to 1/2, do you really think you would get home any sooner? Can you say "10 more stops"?

I always take my lunch. As a matter of fact, it's the only thing I look forward to every day. I try to take it at the same time every day. People know I'll be there and if they're expecting a pkg, they can meet me and get it. Most will even wait until I'm done. Matter of fact, I've had some buy my lunch (much to my objection).

Lunch is a negotiated item (of course, in some states ,it's the law) and if we had no negotiated lunch, I'm going to take a wild guess that we would all be on here posting are gripes about that.

Nothing sickens me more than to see the flock of drivers sitting around the center at the end of the day "taking their lunch". Most will say that there's no way they can take lunch during the day. My response to them, " Ifriend you can't take your lunch, then something is drastically wrong with your area and if you don't complain about it (or better yet...just do it), it will never get fixed."

TAKE YOUR LUNCH!!!! (and breaks). It could come back to bite you if you are involved in an accident.

Where I'm from management would never go for such strict guidelines when it comes to lunch. For example, if the DIAD automatically shut down from 1400 to 1500 at my center, hundreds of packages would be missed every day.

There are many routes in my center that are strictly business deliveries and pickups. How is UPS going to manage these routes if the DIAD shuts down automatically?

Even in a perfect world, a driver is not going to be able to finish his deliveries by 1400 every day. Somedays he'll finish at 1345 and UPS will be paying the driver 15 minutes for nothing. Other days the driver will not finish until 1420. If the DIAD automatically shut down at 1400, there would be 20 minutes worth of deliveries that would be be missed on a regular basis.

There is a simple solution to this problem. Deduct the driver for the time he "clocks out" of his DIAD. Why won't UPS do this? Why are they so hell-bent on making us taking a 1-hour lunch?

It would benefit the driver and the company. The driver would win by not being "forced" to spend any more time in the company's employ than he has to and the company would win from not having to send another driver 2 towns away to finish his business deliveries.

The only reason I can think that the company would not do this is because they can keep us out an hour later at straight time to make late pick-ups.

Problem is, they can't have it both ways. Either pays us OT earlier or have missed packages.

This is my top request in the next contract: deduct our lunch from what we put in the DIAD. That way, the company can't benefit from the "lunch runners". If the union had a spine they would make this priority number one, becuase this is an area where union members are grossly working off the clock than all other areas combined.

The diad doesn't automacally shut down. It shuts down when you put your lunch in it. Actually I think the union benefits from an hour lunch...If all drivers had the integrity to do what is asked of them. (full lunch hour and break at their specified times) Then UPS would have to add more drivers. (in down town areas anyway)

We have a 1/2 hour here and I agree that it is plenty. But where lunch is an hour, if they shortened it to 1/2, do you really think you would get home any sooner? Can you say "10 more stops"?

I always take my lunch. As a matter of fact, it's the only thing I look forward to every day. I try to take it at the same time every day. People know I'll be there and if they're expecting a pkg, they can meet me and get it. Most will even wait until I'm done. Matter of fact, I've had some buy my lunch (much to my objection).

Lunch is a negotiated item (of course, in some states ,it's the law) and if we had no negotiated lunch, I'm going to take a wild guess that we would all be on here posting are gripes about that.

Nothing sickens me more than to see the flock of drivers sitting around the center at the end of the day "taking their lunch". Most will say that there's no way they can take lunch during the day. My response to them, " Ifriend you can't take your lunch, then something is drastically wrong with your area and if you don't complain about it (or better yet...just do it), it will never get fixed."

TAKE YOUR LUNCH!!!! (and breaks). It could come back to bite you if you are involved in an accident.

Taking a 1/2 hour lunch doesn't change your planned day.

JustTired

free at last.......
Taking a 1/2 hour lunch doesn't change your planned day.

"planned day"? What the heck you talkin' about 'Willis'?

The definition of a planned day is how long they plan to have you work that day. Used to mean something. When's the last time you had an 8 hr. planned day that didn't take you 9-9.5 hrs to do? I'm guessing it was right before they adjusted the time allowance to take into consideration the diad (4-5 yrs. ago?). Actually, that was (in my opinion) a way to take money away from those drivers on bonus.

Anyway........those numbers belong to the company and they are the ones who have to worry about them. Doesn't matter to me. I'll be in when I'm done.

Back to the subject.... you start showing up back at the center 1/2 earlier every day and I'll guarantee you will get more work. So be happy if you have an hour for lunch. More time to sit and talk with friends as opposed to delivering pkgs. If things were the way they used to be, I would be inclined to agree with you. But not since they turned the company over to IE.