Forced to work Saturday Xmas eve?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How many Xmas eves do we get to enjoy with our families? Not enough. Its only a job, enjoy your family, really thats all you've got. Their mismanagement isn't your doing.

How many of those celebrations take place during the day? Work your shift and then spend the evening with your families.

My very first Peak my father came up to spend Christmas with us. Christmas Eve was really heavy and I didn't punch out until 2 am on Christmas morning. I was not the last one on road. I felt bad for my ex as she had to entertain him while I was running my butt off trying to get home.

To the OP----has your center been rolling loads? Are you guys that far behind or is this just a worse case scenario? We are still being told that CE will be an air only day here. What has helped us is working every Saturday between BF and CE.

Checked upsers this morning-----8.11 hours of OT.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Problem is, they will send you out with 11 hours dispatch. They do this to us every year. I got home last Xmas eve after 9 PM.

Ghost in the Darkness

With all the snow in the forecast and DOT hours left there won't be many with hours left to work a full day. Our center is planning next week to be Peak week, I'm sure it will be heavy but the week leading up to Christmas will be worse.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
No it is not. At least not in the Central and probably most other supplements.

Work will be scheduled for 5 consecutive days, M-friend or T-S.

They cannot invoke Article 40 of the Master since Christmas Eve is not a Holiday.

Here, it is volunteer only.
I shouldn't have worded it as "regular required workday" for everyone. In our supplement they can change the workweek one week beforehand, to say a Tue-Sat if need be, they just need to inform the employee. The sixth punch requirement would fall under ask from the top, force from the bottom. Considering Saturday ground is in full swing here, perhaps I should have disclosed that beforehand. They have been "forcing" Tues-Sat drivers in on Monday, most don't fight it. I suspect new language will be introduced to clarify the addition of Saturday ground in the next contract. All new driver hires are currently Tues-Sat.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I will be out of hours before Christmas Eve ever rolls around. Wouldn't work even if I had any available though.
I have 38 hours in already this week and after a 12-13 hour day today should get an early start on my weekend with a light Friday.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
No it is not. At least not in the Central and probably most other supplements.

Work will be scheduled for 5 consecutive days, M-friend or T-S.

They cannot invoke Article 40 of the Master since Christmas Eve is not a Holiday.

Here, it is volunteer only.
So any Saturday is volunteer only?

Edit: if you've worked M-friend

Faceplanted

Lol at all these people saying run out of hours. We are having a mandatory saturday in my center, everybody is to be at work, if you are out of dot hours there will be work for you to do on property

This is the new ups where the union rolls over on everything, sides with ups, and enjoys their nice 2 day weekends with family while we are working.

Thanks Canada!!!

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Lol at all these people saying run out of hours. We are having a mandatory saturday in my center, everybody is to be at work, if you are out of dot hours there will be work for you to do on property

This is the new ups where the union rolls over on everything, sides with ups, and enjoys their nice 2 day weekends with family while we are working.

Thanks Canada!!!

What work on property would they need done for a sixth report ??

Faceplanted

What work on property would they need done for a sixth report ??
Load, car wash, unload pc.

Absolute bs, there will be many drivers who will be coming in 7 straight days due to this past Sunday being forced.

They (management) are just pissed off they had almost every driver work Sunday, and they are according to management "purposefully trying to run out of hours"

I'm gonna assume at least 50 drivers in my center will be there for their 7th straight report.

This year is nuts, idk if the local understands the complete lack of respect for personal time that's been happening in my hub, or if they just don't care

I'm looking at saturday as optional and depending on how I'm feeling I might come in for the extra money.

Last edited:

the_weasel

Just work it like you all do walk into work on Saturday like sheeps to a slaughter house ;) and just think how great it will be next year when they force you to work Sunday Christmas Eve :P Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night !

Faceplanted

I thought ups was a union job?

The people who will be working 7 straight reports are absolute idiots. I told a few of them this morn they needed to do the right thing, call in sat and get some rest. It's unhealthy mentally and physically

I had a great weekend this past weekend while they were working on Sunday.

Brownslave688

I thought ups was a union job?

The people who will be working 7 straight reports are absolute idiots. I told a few of them this morn they needed to do the right thing, call in sat and get some rest. It's unhealthy mentally and physically

I had a great weekend this past weekend while they were working on Sunday.
Just because you're not mentally or physically strong enough to do it doesn't mean others aren't.

Inthegame

So any Saturday is volunteer only?

Edit: if you've worked M-friend
Maybe.
Some supplements contain language such as "if required to work a sixth day ...". The company has threatened discipline citing this language.
Now I haven't read all thirty five supplements so Mug may be correct but I'd check your supplement and/or rider first.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Maybe.
Some supplements contain language such as "if required to work a sixth day ...". The company has threatened discipline citing this language.
Now I haven't read all thirty five supplements so Mug may be correct but I'd check your supplement and/or rider first.

The old "Employees shall not be required to work on the above named holidays........if an employee is required to work on a holiday.......

This double language and reading between the lines is crap and needs to be cleaned up.

Either we can be forced, or cannot be forced.

oldupsman

Funny, I never had a problem working a Sat. during peak, especially if it fell on Christmas Eve. It was easy money.
No pickups, just house stops. Everybody wishing you a Merry Christmas and glad to see you.

Yes I had a family. They all understood, especially the wife, it was just part of the job.
It was a good solid job that paid well and took care of my family.
And when I got home everybody gave me a big hug and we sat down and enjoyed Christmas.

They told us this morning this Saturday and next are mandatory. Told them I have plans I'm not coming in, all they said was ok call in at least an hour in advance. I'm giving them Christmas Eve but that's it. Keep giving them an inch they'll take a mile. To many won't stand up to them I don't get it.

Inthegame

The old "Employees shall not be required to work on the above named holidays........if an employee is required to work on a holiday.......

This double language and reading between the lines is crap and needs to be cleaned up.

Either we can be forced, or cannot be forced.
Agreed and we filed grievances on that ridiculous application of the holiday language. Just saying in the sixth day issue there are many supplements with language that could apply.

Brownslave688

They told us this morning this Saturday and next are mandatory. Told them I have plans I'm not coming in, all they said was ok call in at least an hour in advance. I'm giving them Christmas Eve but that's it. Keep giving them an inch they'll take a mile. To many won't stand up to them I don't get it.
I would of said consider this your hour of mores notice.