Forced to work Saturday Xmas eve?

vvv

I know they can't force you, but can they discipline you for not working a 6 punch on Xmas eve?
Quit being such a crybaby sissy and call in if you don't want to work.

So boring seeing many people here bitching about being FORCED to work on Christmas Eve......the only one FORCING yourself out of bed to work is simply YOURSELF!! Be a big boy and if really needed grow a set and CALL IN!!!! Christ........I haven't worked on Christmas Eve about 10 straight years and it's become a running joke now.
It doesn't matter if it's February 4th........May 10th.......September 23rd.......or DECEMBER 24TH........!!!!
If your attendance record is intact call off as you'll have NOTHING to worry about (you realistically probably don't have to)......enjoy the day with family and friends like most others and feel like a normal human being for a change instead of a puppet/robot......take a little bitching when you return and laugh it off and say "I feel better now"......and trust me in that it gets easier each time.

Amen and enough already about the stupid Xmas Eve talk.....it's all on you......don't let UPS fully dictate how you run your life.

JL 0513

Are you the CEOs son? This could be the dumbest response I've read on this website. Yea dude you're right UPS totally cares about its employees...

OK, let's tell companies to find another shipper, we don't want them. You have no idea how reality works.

JL 0513

So much complaining. You know that $10/hr jobs like working the popcorn machine at a movie theater makes you work Christmas day, right? There's actually millions of people who have to work Christmas Day and Thanksgiving day. Working a non-holiday like Christmas Eve isn't the end of the world.

vvv

How many of those celebrations take place during the day? Work your shift and then spend the evening with your families.

My very first Peak my father came up to spend Christmas with us. Christmas Eve was really heavy and I didn't punch out until 2 am on Christmas morning. I was not the last one on road. I felt bad for my ex as she had to entertain him while I was running my butt off trying to get home.

To the OP----has your center been rolling loads? Are you guys that far behind or is this just a worse case scenario? We are still being told that CE will be an air only day here. What has helped us is working every Saturday between BF and CE.

Checked upsers this morning-----8.11 hours of OT.
2am??!!??!!

vvv

Problem is, they will send you out with 11 hours dispatch. They do this to us every year. I got home last Xmas eve after 9 PM.
EXACTLY the reason why I will never show on that day. Happens ever year to the guys I talk to. And every year they wine and cry and say "I should do what you do"......they never do though......and show up for yet another pummeling by a company that DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOU.

vvv

I can't remember the last Christmas Eve I was able to enjoy with my family. My aunt always has it at her house, and after years of showing up after everyone finished eating dinner, I gave up, and just stayed home.
That't right. Get home and clean up.....maybe have to coordinate getting kids......drive far to relatives house....and basically have your eyes rolling back after an hour......no thanks!!

Excellent choice made my friend. If people need a delivery of a gift so bad order it a day earlier......simple enough.

KingofFluff

That't right. Get home and clean up.....maybe have to coordinate getting kids......drive far to relatives house....and basically have your eyes rolling back after an hour......no thanks!!

Excellent choice made my friend. If people need a delivery of a gift so bad order it a day earlier......simple enough.
Haven't made it to a chistmas eve on time since the early 90's.

vvv

Haven't made it to a chistmas eve on time since the early 90's.
Well I guess it's time for a change brother.....what do you say?
If you don't treat yourself right who will??

My Xmas Eve is great every year now. No stressing and running around like an idiot knocking myself out for others satisfaction.
I remember being out late walking up to other peoples homes like a dope with a package staring into their front window and watching them enjoy their party with family and friends while I probably had another 50+ stops left.
Now when you go make that delivery late xmas eve I am the one you'll be looking at in the window with a drink in hand and a smile on my face and chatting it up.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Well I guess it's time for a change brother.....what do you say?
If you don't treat yourself right who will??

My Xmas Eve is great every year now. No stressing and running around like an idiot knocking myself out for others satisfaction.
I remember being out late walking up to other peoples homes like a dope with a package staring into their front window and watching them enjoy their party with family and friends while I probably had another 50+ stops left.
Now when you go make that delivery late xmas eve I am the one you'll be looking at in the window with a drink in hand and a smile on my face and chatting it up.
It's part of the job. I've never stressed or tried to get off early on Xmas eve. It just comes with being a ups man.

vvv

All you're doing is making your Union brothers and sisters work longer.

You'd end up with slashed tires or just a good old fashioned ass beating if you pulled that stunt here.
You really make me laugh tough guy. After many many years of the same routine all of my new vehicles are fully intact as well as my ass. Some don't like what I do of course, but I'm one of the most looked up to drivers in the entire building(s) by many because I take a stand.

And lastly.....don't place blame and working harder on me when the real reason is lack of nuts on your part.

Brownslave688

You really make me laugh tough guy. After many many years of the same routine all of my new vehicles are fully intact as well as my ass. Some don't like what I do of course, but I'm one of the most looked up to drivers in the entire building(s) by many because I take a stand.

And lastly.....don't place blame and working harder on me when the real reason is lack of nuts on your part.
Stand up for yourself. Lol calling out every Xmas eve and refusing to walk in the snow isn't standing up for yourself. It's a completely chicken :censored2: move.

I simply said if you pulled those moves here what would happen. Every place is different but in my center it simply wouldn't fly.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
OK, let's tell companies to find another shipper, we don't want them. You have no idea how reality works.
All ups cares about is money. You think they really care about me or you? I almost vomit every PCM when they tell us to work safe in a bricked out truck....or to work safe while driving a big truck at 10pm while shining a flashlight out the side to find an address on a house...and to make it home to your family that will already be asleep...I understand it's a business and I don't have to work here but that doesn't mean they aren't greedy as hell...people have lives

Faceplanted

All you're doing is making your Union brothers and sisters work longer.

You'd end up with slashed tires or just a good old fashioned ass beating if you pulled that stunt here.
Your the problem with the union. So simple minded that you let ups pit you against your union brothers.

I see management do this all the time, try to pit us against each other because the same guy always needs help or sownobody called in.

Somebody calling in on Christmas Eve has nothing to do with you and is none of your business. Ups management knows when Christmas is and should be willing to staff accordingly.

Brownslave688

Your the problem with the union. So simple minded that you let ups pit you against your union brothers.

I see management do this all the time, try to pit us against each other because the same guy always needs help or sownobody called in.

Somebody calling in on Christmas Eve has nothing to do with you and is none of your business. Ups management knows when Christmas is and should be willing to staff accordingly.
Working Xmas eve has been part of this job for 50 years. You signed up for it when you agreed to work here. It's a chicken :censored2: way out. It has nothing to do with management it has everything to do with said employee being a :censored2:bag

Brownslave688

You're right calling in ONE Xmas eve isn't a big deal. Doing it every year is BS.

Faceplanted

Working Xmas eve has been part of this job for 50 years. You signed up for it when you agreed to work here. It's a chicken :censored2: way out. It has nothing to do with management it has everything to do with said employee being a :censored2:bag
in the good old days we were all off by 5. Now they have guys out till 10/11. Many families particularly of Spanish decent celebrate chrissmas on Christmas Eve, if ups made an effort to get us out at a reasonable hour I would agree with you.

Because an employee may have family in from out of town or country, only sees them a few times/once a year and doesn't want to literally miss their whole nights activities and instead calls in is none of your business.

Besides that this year it's sat. My bid route is a Mon-fri route. You guys act like Christmas comes out of no where and it's not ups fault for trying to cut routes and maximinize profited

Let's add this to the fact that going out of town for thanksgiving to visit family is basically off the table to Black Friday!!! I missed a family reunion in the poconos thanks to corporate greeed. I'm getting tired of giving and giving and getting nothing but threats and disrepect in return

Can you understand that to some quality time family is the most important to them?

Last edited: