Forced to work through break, not given my 10 minutes until I was ready to punch out

So here's the deal.

I'm a loader. On Friday, I was told to work through break. 6 minutes into working through break my supervisor to take whatever I had left of my break which was about 3-4 minutes and to come back and he would give me the rest later. I told him that's ridiculous, I want my full 10 minutes. He responded by saying to work as directed. I demanded a shop steward.

After 20 minutes of no shop steward I asked where the shop steward was, he responded he was paged and there's nothing he can do. 30 minutes pass and I told him I needed to speak to a full timer. Full time supervisor spoke to me and told me that a shop steward was paged. He told me I'm entitled "UP TO 10 minutes". He told me "When your supervisor has enough time he'll put you on break".

Fastfastword, I was never given a break. I was never granted a shop steward. When all the loads were clean I asked my supervisor if there was anything else he needed me to do. He told me yes take your break. Keep in mind it was 10:15 PM. Start time was 6:00 PM.

This is ridiculous to me. On top of that I worked through break two weeks ago and was not paid the 10 minutes and it was later corrected.

Any thoughts on how I should handle this next time?

959Nanook

Whether it was designed as a test or not, it will be used as a test to see how you respond. If you do not respond by standing up for yourself, they will probably do it again. Once they have you conditioned, it will become a regular expectation that you only take breaks as allowed by your supervisor regardless of Contract.

anonymous4

Re: Forced to work through break, not given my 10 minutes until I was ready to punch

It is common practice to have people work through breaks and rotate others into breaks after to keep a specific area going on a specifically bad day. FILE and hope it isn't thrown out by our union/ups alliance.

Kis124

Re: Forced to work through break, not given my 10 minutes until I was ready to punch

breaks? Again I ask..people get breaks?

So here's the deal.

I'm a loader. On Friday, I was told to work through break. 6 minutes into working through break my supervisor to take whatever I had left of my break which was about 3-4 minutes and to come back and he would give me the rest later. I told him that's ridiculous, I want my full 10 minutes. He responded by saying to work as directed. I demanded a shop steward.

After 20 minutes of no shop steward I asked where the shop steward was, he responded he was paged and there's nothing he can do. 30 minutes pass and I told him I needed to speak to a full timer. Full time supervisor spoke to me and told me that a shop steward was paged. He told me I'm entitled "UP TO 10 minutes". He told me "When your supervisor has enough time he'll put you on break".

Fastfastword, I was never given a break. I was never granted a shop steward. When all the loads were clean I asked my supervisor if there was anything else he needed me to do. He told me yes take your break. Keep in mind it was 10:15 PM. Start time was 6:00 PM.

This is ridiculous to me. On top of that I worked through break two weeks ago and was not paid the 10 minutes and it was later corrected.

Did you file a grievence??????

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

File and speak to the building manager that you're concerned about the contract being violated.

Did you file a grievence??????

I asked for a steward and was not given one. They told me he was paged. None.

I went to look for him after I punched out but he had left for the night. I'll speak to him on Monday.

gorilla75jdw

just go take an extended dump , they will get the hint , maybe a 20 minute dump should work .you are not required a steward unless you are being disciplined .

Ghost in the Darkness

That's what I was thinking to. Tell the sup you plan on filing a grievance and tell them you need to hit the restroom before you come back.

menotyou

bella amicizia

Whether it was designed as a test or not, it will be used as a test to see how you respond. If you do not respond by standing up for yourself, they will probably do it again. Once they have you conditioned, it will become a regular expectation that you only take breaks as allowed by your supervisor regardless of Contract.
That is why you file. You file on your break not being within the first and third hour; not on the fact that you walked out at the end of your shift with out taking one. You chose to walk out.

Notcool

Breaks? I been loading for awhile never heard of 10 min breaks.

Buck Fifty

So here's the deal.

If they did it to me, I would definitely become light headed and the stomach would probably start to turn a bit. I would immediately go to an a/c office and sit down til i felt better. Probably need bout 10 minutes.

HBGPreloader

Heck, we don't get breaks. You work or go home.
The only guarantee you get is 3.5 hours. If they try to send you home early, you still have to ask for your guarantee.

Brown to Brown

You have to file. Ask to be present with your BA when the local happens. Make the sup explain himself.

Socrates

As others have stated...wouldn't fly with me. I'd get it, or it'd be a serious problem. There would be no discussions, there would be no 'work as directed'. State law is state law. UPS couldn't tell me to just go murder someone -- "murder as directed" -- and they don't get to pick and choose what State/Federal laws to obey either. If you need to work people in for breaks, do like all the other grown-up, not full of complete idiot companies do: start the breaks 2-2.5 hours in....NOT starting AT the 3rd hour.

It's one thing to simply violate the contract. It's another to violate city/state laws/statutes. Next time, don't just call your shop steward -- call the state Department of Labor. Trust, they don't want them snooping around.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

Heck, we don't get breaks. You work or go home.
The only guarantee you get is 3.5 hours. If they try to send you home early, you still have to ask for your guarantee.

You do get breaks, it is contractually guaranteed. The only reason not to get one is because your either to week to stand up for your self or to stupid to know your rights!!
In the Central Region Supplement it is Article11, section 6 page 198:

All part time employees shall be given a paid break of ten(10) minutes per shift or part time operation. Breaks shall not be scheduled prior to one(1) hour of work being performed.