Freightliner Just Revealed The First Real Road-Legal Autonomous Big Rig

clean hairy

Heard this presented by a respected car talk guy.
When, not if but WHEN there are Driverless cars where the person inside has no steering wheel or brake pedal, and there is a crash where a person dies, who does the victims Family sue?
Hard to sue the person in the car who had no means to avoid the collision.
Therefore, who else besides the Auto Manufacturer can be sued?
So, as lawsuits against the Manufacturers climb, and having to defend themselves, and pay claims, the costs of cars will skyrocket.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
when ups puts in an all autonomous fleet and tells us were only worth minimum wage. who's gonna load and unload all these trucks and trailers. the only reason 99% of these part timers are there is for the good paying full time driver job at the end of the tunnel. with no good paying full time job there is no reason for anyone to stay working here.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

when ups puts in an all autonomous fleet and tells us were only worth minimum wage. who's gonna load and unload all these trucks and trailers. the only reason 99% of these part timers are there is for the good paying full time driver job at the end of the tunnel. with no good paying full time job there is no reason for anyone to stay working here.

There are quite a few PTers who are here only for the benefits.

worldwide

I would guess that UPS is not going to go with fully autonomous vehicles at first due to liability reasons. But I can see them taking incremental steps towards that goal. There are already technologies out there that will allow tractor trailers to "draft" off each other to save fuel. Given the amount of money UPS spends on fuel, this technology looks to be the most promising initially.

Home - Peloton Technology

Note: UPS is an investor in Peloton so if they are putting money into this, chances are good it's going to be used in the UPS fleet at some point.

First step is getting the feeders to "talk" to one another and to have a connected fleet. While that is happening, the public and government can debate the fully autonomous vehicles. The day will come when there are driverless vehicles on the road - the question is when. It was not that long ago that a pilotless aircraft was thought to be impossible but look at all the drones flying combat missions. Those aircraft will only get bigger, more capable and more effective over time. The same will happen with cars & trucks over time.

km3

There are quite a few PTers who are here only for the benefits.

This. If they decided that they were never going to hire another driver again in my building, we wouldn't lose very many part-timers. But if a contract were somehow negotiated wherein we part-timers would lose our existing benefits (without raising wages significantly--about $5/hr, at least), nobody would be left.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
This. If they decided that they were never going to hire another driver again in my building, we wouldn't lose very many part-timers. But if a contract were somehow negotiated wherein we part-timers would lose our existing benefits (without raising wages significantly--about $5/hr, at least), nobody would be left.
regardless. the number of partimers there waiting for a full time job drastically outweighs the number of part timers who work for benefits.

SixSidedAnomaly

regardless. the number of partimers there waiting for a full time job drastically outweighs the number of part timers who work for benefits.
Eh... Disagree. At least at my location and a nearby one where a friend works. Seems split about 40/40/20. 40 percent want full time jobs, 40 percent want benefits (mostly college kids wanting help with school) and 20 percent are just kind of there I guess

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Eh... Disagree. At least at my location and a nearby one where a friend works. Seems split about 40/40/20. 40 percent want full time jobs, 40 percent want benefits (mostly college kids wanting help with school) and 20 percent are just kind of there
Eh... Disagree. At least at my location and a nearby one where a friend works. Seems split about 40/40/20. 40 percent want full time jobs, 40 percent want benefits (mostly college kids wanting help with school) and 20 percent are just kind of there I guess
oh my God who cares. the point is there will not be anyone there to do the work. there would be no point to working at ups.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Heard this presented by a respected car talk guy.
When, not if but WHEN there are Driverless cars where the person inside has no steering wheel or brake pedal, and there is a crash where a person dies, who does the victims Family sue?
Hard to sue the person in the car who had no means to avoid the collision.
Therefore, who else besides the Auto Manufacturer can be sued?
So, as lawsuits against the Manufacturers climb, and having to defend themselves, and pay claims, the costs of cars will skyrocket.
This has already been covered.

The company that designed the computer.

There will be very very few incidents where they find the computer at fault.