Friday the 25th, UPS forcing FT inside employees to work actual hours only - On Topic

By The Book

See my reply above. How do employees request 8 actual where you are? Signing something. I'm not saying that it would not be thrown out as an extra contractual agreement, but don't count on it.
We don't sign anything for an 8 hour request on a holiday. The center team asks around if you want 8 hours. After they have the number of drivers they need they make the schedule. We only sign a volunteer sheet if we want paid actual. The op was stating that only a portion of his shift wasn't going to be used, not his entire shift. If he doesn't volunteer, and is low enough that 1 person works with higher seniority that didn't volunteer he has a case for a grievance. This is what I think using the holiday force in language.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
We don't sign anything for an 8 hour request on a holiday. The center team asks around if you want 8 hours. After they have the number of drivers they need they make the schedule. We only sign a volunteer sheet if we want paid actual. The op was stating that only a portion of his shift wasn't going to be used, not his entire shift. If he doesn't volunteer, and is low enough that 1 person works with higher seniority that didn't volunteer he has a case for a grievance. This is what I think using the holiday force in language.

Good argument.

Although UPS is telling everyone it is a standard workday. If the OP decides to volunteer for actual, they can use him. If not, he will not be used and laid off because his job is eliminated.

Bumping rights? Possibly. Depending on local language.

I am just playing devil's advocate to get other opinions. In this case, if he signs it and then demands his 8 hour guarantee, I don't necessarily agree that it will be thrown out as an extra contractual agreement and the OP will win.

UPS is saying they have work for him, but not 8 hours of work. Agree to work actual, which is covered in the CBA, and we will work you actual. Push your 8 hour guarantee and you will not be needed Friday because we don't have 8 hours of work for you on your bid job.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Not even remotely. I'll pay the exact same in annual taxes if I adjust my w-4 or not.
Not really for that pay period.
Taxes are calculated on each pay period and if you make a lot more in a given week, the taxes for that week will be number of pay periods per year times that pay period's total taxable amount.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Not really.
Taxes are calculated on each pay period and if you make a lot more in a given week, the taxes for that week will be number of pay periods per year times that pay period's total taxable amount.
That's why I said annual. You're gonna pay what you're gonna pay.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I know but your reply was misleading to to the uninformed ... I took the time to clarify.
That's why I intentionally said annual.

I don't mind paying a little extra some weeks anyway. Since my wife started working we have been anywhere from
$2000 in the hole to break even. Have never gotten money back.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Maybe you can lead by example and show other younger guys who are scared or don't know the contact and demand your 8hr upstate

People shouldn't be forced to work a 6th report regusrdless and the only real way to stop it is to demand 8

You demanding 8 hours will not stop the Friday/Saturday working....sorry to pop your bubble. If customers did not want their packages on Saturday we would not have to work, so until the day you and I retire from UPS we will be working the friday after TG and Saturdays.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Maybe you can lead by example and show other younger guys who are scared or don't know the contact and demand your 8hr upstate

People shouldn't be forced to work a 6th report regusrdless and the only real way to stop it is to demand 8
Other guys who are scared... Lmao....

DSM515

You demanding 8 hours will not stop the Friday/Saturday working....sorry to pop your bubble. If customers did not want their packages on Saturday we would not have to work, so until the day you and I retire from UPS we will be working the friday after TG and Saturdays.
Not me, I signed a Monday thru Friday bid. I'll never work a Saturday.

35years

Gravy route
Good argument.

Although UPS is telling everyone it is a standard workday. If the OP decides to volunteer for actual, they can use him. If not, he will not be used and laid off because his job is eliminated.

Bumping rights? Possibly. Depending on local language.

I am just playing devil's advocate to get other opinions. In this case, if he signs it and then demands his 8 hour guarantee, I don't necessarily agree that it will be thrown out as an extra contractual agreement and the OP will win.

UPS is saying they have work for him, but not 8 hours of work. Agree to work actual, which is covered in the CBA, and we will work you actual. Push your 8 hour guarantee and you will not be needed Friday because we don't have 8 hours of work for you on your bid job.
You are contending only those who are forced to work have a right to the 8 hr guarantee.
So how would you reconcile this situation:
Every driver was scheduled for Black Friday (named Holiday) but they will not be forcing some of the high seniority drivers to work (they will be notified by Wednesday).
A high seniority driver decides to work, even though given the option to not work.
Not everyone will get 8+ hours.

Would the lower seniority drivers who are forced to work have the right to 8+ hours, and the unforced high seniority drivers not have the right to the extra work (8+ hours)?

You can see how this creates a situation that contradicts the fundamental principle that higher seniority drivers have the right to the extra work before lower seniority drivers

Your thoughts?.

Last edited:

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You are contending only those who are forced to work have a right to the 8 hr guarantee.
So how would you reconcile this situation:
Every driver was scheduled for Black Friday (named Holiday) but they will not be forcing some of the high seniority drivers to work (they will be notified by Wednesday).
A high seniority driver decides to work, even though given the option to not work.
Not everyone will get 8+ hours.

Would the lower seniority drivers who are forced to work have the right to 8+ hours, and the high seniority drivers not have the right to the extra work (8+ hours)?

You can see how this creates a situation that contradicts the fundamental principle that higher seniority drivers have the right to the extra work before lower seniority drivers

Your thoughts?.

Like I said, we are in uncharted waters here. I see your point about the forcing to work. But a little different situation here I think.

My opinion in your described scenario is that even if the high seniority guys aren't forced to work, given the option of not working, they are not laid off on Friday, too much seniority. Their seniority gives them the right to work.

And if they come into work, exercise their seniority, they are guaranteed 8 hours.

The OP's job is eliminated, or most of his job, so they do not have 8 hours for him to work. He will be laid off unless he just wants to come in and work actual.

I think his only option is a bump if he is not the lowest senior 22.3 employee.