Friday the 25th, UPS forcing FT inside employees to work actual hours only - On Topic

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
You demanding 8 hours will not stop the Friday/Saturday working....sorry to pop your bubble. If customers did not want their packages on Saturday we would not have to work, so until the day you and I retire from UPS we will be working the friday after TG and Saturdays.
I haven't worked a Saturday for UPS in my 34+ years and will not start now. You may be coming in on the weekends but you will NEVER see me there.

km3

I have a 22.3 job; I do sort set-up, man the PM Customer Counter, process Exceptions from Drivers, load the Air Shuttle, do Haz-Mats, etc. On Friday the 18th I was told that on Friday the 25th (day after Thanksgiving) CC would be closed, and in order for me to be allowed to work that day, I had to sign a paper stating I would work for actual hours only. Same thing was said to our Centers PM 22.2, and both 22.3 who work AM. We have a 22.2 on the AM, as of now I don't know what was said to him.

Contract states under ARTICLE 15-HOLIDAYS, Section 4:
"Except as otherwise provided in this Agreement, regular seniority
employees required to work on any of the above named holidays
shall receive double his/her regular hourly rate for all hours worked
with a guarantee of eight (8) hours for full-time employees..."

I see nothing else in the Contract that would fall under the "Except as otherwise provided in this Agreement" portion. Am I missing something?

The past two years, I have worked my normal job on the day after Thanksgiving.

I don't know what to do. I think I have two options...
  1. Not sign the paper, not work, file a Grievance under Art. 15, and for being denied the right to work, whatever Article that would fall under.
  2. Sign the paper "Under Protest," work Friday, file for the lost hours under Art. 15. But does signing the paper, even "Under Protest" waive my right to 8 hours?
Another thought, as the day after Thanksgiving is now a 'normal' operations day, if the Company gets away with this, what is to stop UPS from telling FT employees they can only have actual hours on any given day?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Without reading the entire thread, off the top of my head, looks like a violation of article 6 (extra-contractual agreements). Tell them that as a FT seniority employee, you have the right to work before any PTers, and that if you come in, you want your 8. Grieve as necessary.

Now I guess I'll read the thread...

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Without reading the entire thread, off the top of my head, looks like a violation of article 6 (extra-contractual agreements)

Not necessarily. The CBA allows an employee to request less than 8 hours and is covered in the CBA. How can it be an extra contractual agreement if it is covered in the CBA?

Tell them that as a FT seniority employee, you have the right to work before any PTers

You can tell them that all you want to try and BS them, but it doesn't make it true.

and that if you come in, you want your 8

They told him his job is eliminated and he will be laid off unless he wants actual. They have some work for him, but not 8 hours. If he agrees to actual, he cannot demand his 8 hours. If he demands his 8 hours, he is laid off and told not to come in.

Grieve as necessary.

Agreed.

The Jeep Driver

On the road less traveled...
Damn guys, I said "On Topic," not rip each other apart... is it always this way? :wince:

I maybe should have been more specific in my OP; operating CC is an hour and a half of my eight hour shift. I am also the only non-management Haz-Mat Responder and Haz-Mat Auditor on my sort.

Thanks to all who chimed in with sound advice, I read it all and filed it for future reference. :thumbup1:

How it went down on Friday; I was never given a paper to sign, neither were any of the other FT inside employees. CC was closed only to shipping out; but that didn't stop the AM Clerk from doing so. I didn't know I was even releasing packages to customers until I came in that night.

FT Management seemed to have little grasp/concern on what was going on; thankfully our PT supervisors have good heads. Center Manager told me that he didn't want me to think he was kicking me out, just do your job(s) (I found out he was little idea of what I actually do,) help out the sort, get as many hours as you can; opposite of what I was told just days earlier... :blink: There was enough to do I kept myself busy for over 7 1/2 hours, good enough. Not worth the time, and having to get a sitter, to go to a hearing over.

Only FT employee that was screwed was on the Pre-Load; forced him out at about 5 hours, when the rest of the sort left. I encouraged him to file.

Hopefully you all had a nice Thanksgiving and a profitable Black Friday.