frightening moment. What would you have done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmistake

I was making a delivery to a multi family building. From a car parked on the street, out comes a character. He tells me the package is for him and gives me a last name. It's not the name on the label. I attempt to ignore him, try to make the delivery. Returning to the package car, he attempts to forceably take control of the package. I shove him return to the package car and drive away. As I'm driving off he states "don't worry, I got your number" and takes down the number of the package car.

I sent my center a message. They ask If I'm ok, which I am and tell me to keep it moving. I return to the center, there's a LP manager waiting for me. I give my statement, punch out and go home. An hour or so later, I call a friend of mine, and he tells me there were 3 police cars in the center. Something was definetly found.

I've given this a lot of thought, and could have handled it a number of ways. What would you have done?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
1st most obvious thing: would have asked for ID to verify the person lived at the address on the box.

2nd : had they not come up with it , I would have had 911 on speed dial when the confrontation happened.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Always ask for ID if someone approaches you whom you do not know and is not at the address on the package. I would be careful making physical contact with anyone as this could end up costing you your job. If he had become more physical to where you felt your safety was in danger I would have given him the package. No package is worth your life. You did the right thing by notifying the center immediately and I am glad that things did not escalate and that you are OK.

over9five

Staff member
I think the OP did exactly the right thing.

I might have called the police from the scene, tho. Technically, someone tried to rob him.

diesel96

What would you have done ?

It's basically up to the driver to size up the situation, the location, and the odds of being a hero.....However, if you feel like your in a no-win situation, here's my take.
We are talking about a UPS pkg(s) here, and as long as your not protecting your family, your women, or YOUR business, just grab your belongings from the pkg-car, hand the perp the keys, and walk away.....UPS is insured, you making it home to your loved ones isn't.....One never knows who's packing until it's too late....

Man up, take a few lessons, and juddy chop the guy.

[video=youtube;GuigcXvcy1A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuigcXvcy1A&feature=related[/video]

moreluck

golden ticket member
"Man up, take a few lessons, and juddy chop the guy."

So do you suppose that guy is old enough to vote? I'm scared.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
There are too many variables in the situation you describe for me to sit here on my couch with a computer and say with any certainty what I would or should have done.

Generally speaking, I wont take well to someone trying to forcibly remove a package from my hands. I am 6-2" and 265 lbs so unless they have a weapon or are waay bigger than me, they are going lose some teeth if they dont stop immediately.

If they do have a weapon or are way bigger and tougher than me, then they can have the package as well as the keys and anything else they want. I dont want to be a dead hero over a $200 parcel.

bigmistake

There are too many variables in the situation you describe for me to sit here on my couch with a computer and say with any certainty what I would or should have done.

Generally speaking, I wont take well to someone trying to forcibly remove a package from my hands. I am 6-2" and 265 lbs so unless they have a weapon or are waay bigger than me, they are going lose some teeth if they dont stop immediately.

If they do have a weapon or are way bigger and tougher than me, then they can have the package as well as the keys and anything else they want. I dont want to be a dead hero over a $200 parcel.

bigmistake

Because of the way the box was packaged and the fact the police showed up, I'm fairly certain there were drugs (street pharmaceuticals) involved.

whiskey

Once the red flag goes up, I would lock myself inside the package car with the parcels. Then call the police. While waiting for the cops, send a detailed message to the center. Then soak up the OT.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Once the red flag goes up, I would lock myself inside the package car with the parcels. Then call the police. While waiting for the cops, send a detailed message to the center. Then soak up the OT.
Atta boy!
Never take your eye off the ball :wink2:

clueless

Maybe you should consider getting that BMI down. Unless, you're a bulked-up bodybuilder and it's mostly 'muscle', you're in the 'obese' category. That's more a threat to your health and life than a potential punk you might (or might not) encounter.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Don't judi chop somebody that don't got it comin...

Incidents like this one really scare me. When do you need to step in? Is there a line to cross?

I am a brown belt Goju-Ryu Karate from 1994 and have dabbled with other areas. I still practice the fundamentals as well as the basic exercise drills /stretches The advanced katas are really where it's at; you have no trouble fighting one when you can take out 8 :D

Martial Arts is crucial for balance and flexibility, as well as mindset.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Maybe you should consider getting that BMI down. Unless, you're a bulked-up bodybuilder and it's mostly 'muscle', you're in the 'obese' category. That's more a threat to your health and life than a potential punk you might (or might not) encounter.

He was over 300 and has been working hard to get down to where he is. Give him some credit.

clueless

He was over 300 and has been working hard to get down to where he is. Give him some credit.

In that case, that is quite laudable. I hope he keeps up the good work. Of course, unless I monitored virtually every post here, I'd have no way to know that little factoid, now would I?...

Upstate,
He is clueless.

Ummm....you're the one who's clueless now. I am very, very much a she..:wink2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In that case, that is quite laudable. I hope he keeps up the good work. Of course, unless I monitored virtually every post here, I'd have no way to know that little factoid, now would I?...

There was a whole thread dedicated to this--something to do with the vanishing Soberups.

Status
Not open for further replies.