From Open shop/closed shop to orphans...

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by dilligaf, Nov 16, 2008.

1. dilligaf

dilligaf IN VINO VERITAS

Just to satisfy a curiousity (thanks Upstate!!!!!!!!!), who all is open shop and closed shop?
  2. upsdude

upsdude Well-Known Member

Right to Work, "Open Shop" here.
  3. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

Georgia is Right to Work state.
  4. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

Union shops in Wisconsin. No one wants my opinion but if you want to deliver boxes and not be in the union, wear purple. BM
  5. BigBrownSanta

BigBrownSanta New Member

I'm in a right to work state here.
  6. 705red

705red Browncafe Steward

No choice here, your teamster card gets filed out with your new hire paper work.
  7. Cobra Agent

Cobra Agent Mandalorian

Louisiana Right to work.
  8. dannyboy

dannyboy From the promised LAND

tennessee and virginia both right to work (open shop)

bm, while i respect your views, the ability to force you into the union reduces the need of the union to offer something of value in return.

let them make themselves desireable enough to where the people WANT to join.

9. brownmonster

80+ a year to deliver boxes is reason enough for me. I don't understand why you can choose to not join the union but reap all the benefits of said union contract. If you choose not to join maybe you should be paid what the company deems appropriate and not what's in the contract. It's no coincidence that right to work states primarily in the south have much lower average wages that the mostly union northern states like Wisconsin.
  10. upsdude

Our cost of living down here in the south is quite nice.

I agree with Danny, make the union work for the members. I pay my dues every week, my choice. Membership should remain a choice, the same Constitution that gives a person the right to start/join a union, gives me the right to not join if I choose.

Persons working at a company being or attempting to be organized should also keep their right to a secret ballot. We send our military around the world to ensure fair and secret ballots, we shouldn’t allow intimidation on our soil.
  11. brownmonster

I choose not to be a member of Sam's Club. Therefore I do not get the benefits of membership.
  12. But Benefits Are Great!

But Benefits Are Great! Just Words On A Screen

13. MD Dan

MD Dan Member

This begs the question " would you be willing to forgo your union negotiated pay and benefits if you don't want to join the union?" How many people come to the union only when they find themselves in trouble with management? Union dues are a little like an investment and a little like insurance. Those drivers in RTW states that don't pay union dues are taking advantage of those drivers that do pay dues--but only until they need union representation.
  14. Monkey Butt

Not exactly on target for this thread but...
    Certainly not against higher wages and benefits but I have to point out the obvious that the union factories (i.e. - GM, Ford) in the Northern Union states (Rust Belt) are going out of business or close to it while the non-union factories (i.e. - Toyota, Nissan) in the South appear to be more stable.

Luckily for us, UPS is in a service industry that is not pressured by globalization in the same way that manufacturing is.
  15. upsdude

I’m not guaranteed a right to join or enter Sam’s Club.

Sam’s will allow me to enter and see what they offer. They will also allow me to make a purchase.

We’re not going to agree on this issue, and that’s OK. I still respect your opinion.
  16. 705red

705red Browncafe Steward

Hoax toyota employees belong to the union, the problem with the other car makers has alot to do with their pensions set up. In order for these companies to continue they will need to sit down and re-negotiate those benefits.
  17. softshoe

softshoe Member

Some would say that those companies fell on hard times because of bad management. One great example would be the excessive bonuses that are handed out to the executives of these companies.
  18. Monkey Butt

I agree, the crux of the issue at the Big 3 is their legacy pension plans.
    However, no Toyota manufacturing plant in North America is unionized. I have investigated and find many newspaper articles saying this is the case.
  19. BigBrownSanta

BigBrownSanta New Member

Ugly car designs where each model looks basically the same may have played a small part also, JMO.
  20. brownmonster

When Toyota and Datsun were selling Corollas and B210's by the boat load the Big Three countered with the K-car, Citation and Chevette or my favorite the AMC Pacer. That's why we lost ground.